Casio cell phones

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Casio cell phones

Post by max v » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:14 am

Hey guys, the other day my phone died after a quick dunk in the bathtub. So after looking online for a waterproof phone it seems the Gzone brand (http://www.casiogzone.com/) really stands out in terms of ruggedness and reliability. Their watches are exceptional but I have no experience with their telecom division so I was wondering if there's anyone here who has used and perhaps abused any of the Casio phones (i.e. Ravine, Ravine2, Brigade, Commando). Mind you this is largely out of curiosity, because as you are probably aware these are strictly US through Verizon. :(

This sick puppy is supposed to take 1 ton of pressure and not cringe
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: Casio cell phones

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 am

I currently have the Ravine2. I picked it because it's global rated. It wasn't as easy as just inserting a foreign SIM card, I had to request the unlock code. But, after inputting that, I can now use whatever SIM card I want. I like it. It's rugged enough to handle my abuse (so far), and it's a nice little phone. I wanted the Brigade, but it didn't have GSM capability.

max v

Post by max v » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the input, I just watched a guy on youtube explain the process. Does the ptt function still work on a foreign sim?

zommoz10

Post by zommoz10 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm

All i saw on the vzw website was the gzone commando which isn't waterproof but is mil spec for other things and the ravine which is not a smart phone.
Maybe it's only available in certain markets but I'm curious about it myself.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm

I love my Ravine. Thing has stood up to some serious abuse. My GF even didn't check my pants on time, it was in them, and put it in the wash. Powered on. When I couldn't find it, I called it with her phone, and it rang. In the dryer, where it'd been going for about half an hour.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm

PTT doesn't work, but I don't know what is causing that. I don't know anybody with a Verizon PTT phone, so I don't know anybody to beep beep to. So, PTT didn't work back in the States either.

Be sure to activated things like GPS before you get into some backwoods country that doesn't run data on their network. If you can't download the user agreement, GPS doesn't work. Ghey, but it is what it is.

max v

Post by max v » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:54 am

DJH wrote:I love my Ravine. Thing has stood up to some serious abuse. My GF even didn't check my pants on time, it was in them, and put it in the wash. Powered on. When I couldn't find it, I called it with her phone, and it rang. In the dryer, where it'd been going for about half an hour.
That's pretty impressive, not just milspec but girlfriend-proof. Does the phone still function properly now?

max v

Post by max v » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:09 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:PTT doesn't work, but I don't know what is causing that. I don't know anybody with a Verizon PTT phone, so I don't know anybody to beep beep to. So, PTT didn't work back in the States either.

Be sure to activated things like GPS before you get into some backwoods country that doesn't run data on their network. If you can't download the user agreement, GPS doesn't work. Ghey, but it is what it is.
Thanks for the tip, here's one back. You might be interested in an app called trekbuddy, which allows you to track your gps location even when you're not online. I have no personal experience with this program (dumb-phone user that I am) so can't vouch for it, but a lot of people seem to be very pleased with it. There were some bugs initially but most if not all have been addressed. Again, this is based on other opinions so take it for what it's worth.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 am

max v wrote:
DJH wrote:I love my Ravine. Thing has stood up to some serious abuse. My GF even didn't check my pants on time, it was in them, and put it in the wash. Powered on. When I couldn't find it, I called it with her phone, and it rang. In the dryer, where it'd been going for about half an hour.
That's pretty impressive, not just milspec but girlfriend-proof. Does the phone still function properly now?

It works like it did the day I got it still. The only issue it had at the time was getting it as hot as it was in the dryer ran the battery down. Had to charge it when I got it out. But it didn't mess with the battery life or anything. No damage to the screen, keypad, any of it. Of course, all the ports were closed - I doubt the story would be the same had the charging port or headphone port been open, etc.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 am

max v wrote:Thanks for the tip, here's one back. You might be interested in an app called trekbuddy, which allows you to track your gps location even when you're not online. I have no personal experience with this program (dumb-phone user that I am) so can't vouch for it, but a lot of people seem to be very pleased with it. There were some bugs initially but most if not all have been addressed. Again, this is based on other opinions so take it for what it's worth.
Sounds cool, but, I'll have to wait until I'm not in a shit hole in order to get it. Sounds nifty though, and something I thought was already coming on the phone.

Which brings me to a point earlier forgotten. The GZgear doesn't have a trekking app, at least not on the Ravine 2. It has a pedometer that takes a bit to calibrate, but that's it. You'll know how far you've gone (roughly, depending on terrain), but not where. Yeah, if you're not a complete moron you'll have a map and compass with you and will always know where you are, but I was hoping to get GPS mapping data to show the route actually taken.

I'll have to look into the trekbuddy and see if it does what I'm looking for.

max v

Post by max v » Tue May 01, 2012 7:47 am

DJH wrote:
max v wrote:

It works like it did the day I got it still. The only issue it had at the time was getting it as hot as it was in the dryer ran the battery down. Had to charge it when I got it out. But it didn't mess with the battery life or anything. No damage to the screen, keypad, any of it. Of course, all the ports were closed - I doubt the story would be the same had the charging port or headphone port been open, etc.
Good on you, a bit of luck never hurt anyone. If you're looking for waterproof ports you might want to look into the Sonim brand. After scouring the web for relevant information it turns out their phones can really take a beating, they even dropped the xp3300 from 82 feet onto concrete and it still worked. I'll put up a link in the relevant thread.

max v

Post by max v » Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:
max v wrote:Thanks for the tip, here's one back. You might be interested in an app called trekbuddy, which allows you to track your gps location even when you're not online. I have no personal experience with this program (dumb-phone user that I am) so can't vouch for it, but a lot of people seem to be very pleased with it. There were some bugs initially but most if not all have been addressed. Again, this is based on other opinions so take it for what it's worth.
Sounds cool, but, I'll have to wait until I'm not in a shit hole in order to get it. Sounds nifty though, and something I thought was already coming on the phone.

Which brings me to a point earlier forgotten. The GZgear doesn't have a trekking app, at least not on the Ravine 2. It has a pedometer that takes a bit to calibrate, but that's it. You'll know how far you've gone (roughly, depending on terrain), but not where. Yeah, if you're not a complete moron you'll have a map and compass with you and will always know where you are, but I was hoping to get GPS mapping data to show the route actually taken.

I'll have to look into the trekbuddy and see if it does what I'm looking for.
http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/index.php

http://www.trekbuddy.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Tue May 01, 2012 11:24 am

A little background info,

I destroy phones.

I work 24/7 in all weather. Heat, sand, water, cold. It does not matter. Remember the old Nextel indestructible contractor Phones? I killed three or four of them a year.

When we went to Verizon for our company cell phones my first one was an LG. It died within a month. They gave me a Casio Boulder to replace it and the thing lasted two years. That is a record.

My new Phone is a Casio Ravine. So far It has been under water twice, dropped of the back of a wrecker on concrete, Exposed to single digit temps, and had all my weight on it several times.

Still works like a new phone. Short of setting it on fire or running it over ( Both have happened ) I can see this phone lasting longer than my Boulder.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Tue May 01, 2012 6:02 pm

max v wrote:(i.e. Ravine, Ravine2, Brigade, Commando)
I haven't used any of the "Fancy" GZone phones, but I did used to have a Type V that finally broke after being run over by a winch truck:

We saw it make it past the first three axles before the screen finally went out (night shift).

Replaced it with a Type S that is still alive in a drawer for emergency use. They survived daily use in the oilfield working everywhere from the refineries to the drilling rigs.
Braxton wrote:My new Phone is a Casio Ravine. So far It has been under water twice, dropped of the back of a wrecker on concrete, Exposed to single digit temps, and had all my weight on it several times.
I would surely hope it could survive single digit temps, we froze my Type S in a Nalgene left outside at somewhere around -40 ambient.

My smartphones (iPhone, Blackberry, and Galaxy) have all been used regularly in sub-zero temps as well, just never frozen in blocks of ice.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

max v

Post by max v » Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Braxton wrote:A little background info,

I destroy phones.

I work 24/7 in all weather. Heat, sand, water, cold. It does not matter. Remember the old Nextel indestructible contractor Phones? I killed three or four of them a year.

When we went to Verizon for our company cell phones my first one was an LG. It died within a month. They gave me a Casio Boulder to replace it and the thing lasted two years. That is a record.

My new Phone is a Casio Ravine. So far It has been under water twice, dropped of the back of a wrecker on concrete, Exposed to single digit temps, and had all my weight on it several times.

Still works like a new phone. Short of setting it on fire or running it over ( Both have happened ) I can see this phone lasting longer than my Boulder.
Thanks for your input, that's one more vote for the Ravine. Have you ever sat on it while it was open? It'd be interesting to hear how it performs.

max v

Post by max v » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Red_Snow wrote:
max v wrote:(i.e. Ravine, Ravine2, Brigade, Commando)
I haven't used any of the "Fancy" GZone phones, but I did used to have a Type V that finally broke after being run over by a winch truck:

We saw it make it past the first three axles before the screen finally went out (night shift).

Replaced it with a Type S that is still alive in a drawer for emergency use. They survived daily use in the oilfield working everywhere from the refineries to the drilling rigs.
I welcome all Casio-related information, as long as it's not calculators. Just wanted to narrow it down to the models currently on offer cuz I'm hip like that 8-)

That's a big ass truck by the way, what kinda motor does it run?

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am

max v wrote: Thanks for your input, that's one more vote for the Ravine. Have you ever sat on it while it was open? It'd be interesting to hear how it performs.
Apparently it can be run over while open and not be damaged by that. I'm not going to try it on purpose tho. lol

Polie

Post by Polie » Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 am

anyone find a GMS bomb proof Android phone with real gps not agps?
ImageImage

max v

Post by max v » Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 pm

DJH wrote:
max v wrote: Thanks for your input, that's one more vote for the Ravine. Have you ever sat on it while it was open? It'd be interesting to hear how it performs.
Apparently it can be run over while open and not be damaged by that. I'm not going to try it on purpose tho. lol
Now that would be a strong hinge, though imo it will always be the achilles heel in any clamshell design.

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Thu May 10, 2012 8:22 pm

max v wrote:That's a big ass truck by the way, what kinda motor does it run?
Not a clue as that was a random picture pulled off of a Google Image search. Most of them that size around these parts run CAT motors.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

OpelBlitz
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by OpelBlitz » Mon May 21, 2012 2:11 pm

Red_Snow wrote:
Not a clue as that was a random picture pulled off of a Google Image search. Most of them that size around these parts run CAT motors.
Yeah, more than likely a C-15.
Jeriah wrote:Honestly, I kind of enjoy getting my ass kicked by a big gun. It's fun, in a rough sex with a wolverine on a roller coaster kind of way.
Greg Focker wrote:
OpelBlitz wrote:BTW there's no "i" in Daley. :)
But there is an 'i' in "corrupt sack of shit" :wink:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Errors in English Usage

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:20 pm

I've got a Ravine 2, and I'm happy with it so far. it's been dropped +-10 feet onto concrete, been dropped in a pond, but I've only had it <3 weeks. I am looking forward to torturing it.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

max v

Post by max v » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:18 am

Red_Snow wrote:
I checked their on highway solutions :shock: impressive specs to say the least.

max v

Post by max v » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 am

Dogan wrote:I've got a Ravine 2, and I'm happy with it so far. it's been dropped +-10 feet onto concrete, been dropped in a pond, but I've only had it <3 weeks. I am looking forward to torturing it.
So one more vote for the Ravine2. Have fun torturing it and please let me know how it holds up.

Return to “Communications”