Ham Radio modem

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ham Radio modem

Post by Doctor Jest » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:17 am

Yeah, encryption is verboten on ham radio - all codes and ciphers are forbidden, even coded messages like "the eagle has landed at the western airport" or reading strings of digits. The plain meaning must be obvious.

We do ask that illegal activities are not discussed, even hypothetically. It is obvious that you have a lot of knowledge, but let me ask you to share information on areas that don't violate FCC regs. Thanks.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Tater Raider

Re: Ham Radio modem

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:30 am

You can say that you will be back 3 days after the youngest boy's birthday. We did that stuff all the time in the Navy when we called home on the radio. Hams would accept the transmission, take down the phone number, call collect, and patch us through. Since we had to follow amateur radio regulations we had to have a way of saying something where we understood what was being discussed without violating OPSEC while not violating FCC regs.

Example of what I'm talking about: "Remember that restaurant we had our first date at? I'll be there a week before our anniversary, that's 7 days, around sundown. I look forward to seeing you there."

Anyone who knew us would know when and where - not encrypted and not code, just plain language with no hidden meanings (no location Alpha, no word substitutions, etc.). That was 20 years ago that I and my first ex did that, but that's the workaround Uncle Sam's Canoe Club had us use, legal at that time.

The only encrypted signals an amateur radio operator can send are those used to control a space station. Yes, there are amateur radio satellites up there. Everything else must be open source (PSK31, RTTY, Morse Code, JT-65, etc.) or it is verboten (per Doctor Jest, who beat me to the punch).

Data packets must be transmitted in the slots designated for it on the Band Plan, which varies according to the band. Faster speeds require more bandwidth to the lower the frequency the slower you must go both to stay legal and to be intelligible on the other end.

As far as email goes, hold my beer and check this thread out: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=111021

Hope that's helpful.

Return to “Communications”