Antenna suggestions for Yaesu VX-7R

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jt526

Antenna suggestions for Yaesu VX-7R

Post by jt526 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Just got my technicians and a Yaesu off eBay for a very good price I think. I'm looking for a mobile style antenna setup and a good scanner antenna that will pick up a little more than the stock ducky. Any suggestions? I know for a mobile magnet mount I'll need the sma-coax-antenna cable, and at some point I'll probably replace the stock antenna with one of the Diamond antennas.

Thanks!

zommoz10

Re: Antenna suggestions for Yaesu VX-7R

Post by zommoz10 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Are you using this in a vehicle? What are you wanting to listen to? What bands?
You can get a mag mount for a lot of different mobile antenna whips.

Supressed223

Post by Supressed223 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:00 pm

I'd recommend a Glass mount Antenna, Mag mounts work great problem is slamming the car door on the RG-58 will destory it over time. Glass mount antennas come with a adhesive pad that the use to stick it to the glass.... It sucks tear it off
and use Goo Gone to get any sticky crap left on the Base off. Then buy sone rear veiw mirror adhesive and use that to glue the base to the glass

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:12 pm

jt526 wrote:Just got my technicians and a Yaesu off eBay for a very good price I think. I'm looking for a mobile style antenna setup and a good scanner antenna that will pick up a little more than the stock ducky. Any suggestions? I know for a mobile magnet mount I'll need the sma-coax-antenna cable, and at some point I'll probably replace the stock antenna with one of the Diamond antennas.

Thanks!
MFJ makes a little hanger that allows use of your ducky outside of the vehicle. MFJ 310S

Roll down window a bit, hook your ducky to mount, mount cable to radio
drop over glass
talk

I've had one for years, simple but works and you can even roll up your window.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

jt526

Post by jt526 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 pm

I like the window mount, and the price is right,i'll probably pick one up. I've 'got to look up the glass mounts as well . Thanks!

rakkFO

Post by rakkFO » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

I have never used one but i hear the glass mount (one part on the inside and the antenna on the outside, signal through the glass) has a lot of signal loss. If you are only using the VX-7R (great HT it was my fist and is still in my kit) with 5 W and i assume some RG-58 or 147 and you are only transmitting with 3W out with all the loss (estimated). I suggest the Mag mount and route through the trunk, you can move the coax to the best spot and use the weather seal to put mimimal stress on the feedline. Also you dont open the trunk as much as you open the driver door ( at least my family does not) and you get a good gound plane for your antenna. Make sure the truck is grounded to the car body or frame what ever you have it . My car came done since the tail lights are in the trunk lid. I then fish the wire through the back seats and up the front. The best option is ask around the local repeater and see if someone has the proper bit to mount an antenna directly to your car, but like me most people find other ways. check out this site http://www.k0bg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 am

rakkFO wrote:I have never used one but i hear the glass mount (one part on the inside and the antenna on the outside, signal through the glass) has a lot of signal loss. If you are only using the VX-7R (great HT it was my fist and is still in my kit) with 5 W and i assume some RG-58 or 147 and you are only transmitting with 3W out with all the loss (estimated). I suggest the Mag mount and route through the trunk, you can move the coax to the best spot and use the weather seal to put mimimal stress on the feedline. Also you dont open the trunk as much as you open the driver door ( at least my family does not) and you get a good gound plane for your antenna. Make sure the truck is grounded to the car body or frame what ever you have it . My car came done since the tail lights are in the trunk lid. I then fish the wire through the back seats and up the front. The best option is ask around the local repeater and see if someone has the proper bit to mount an antenna directly to your car, but like me most people find other ways. check out this site http://www.k0bg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The glass mount linked hangs over the top of a window, so no loss other than the bit in the coax. UT also allows you to use the antenna that came with the radio - maybe not the best, but it keeps the anyteena outside of the auto.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

EODguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Leigion

Post by EODguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:35 pm

MFJ duel band magnet mount, about $25.00 at HRO. Put it on a cookie sheet, makes a decent base ant.
Do em' do em' do the whole village!

rakkFO

Post by rakkFO » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 pm

The glass mount linked hangs over the top of a window, so no loss other than the bit in the coax. UT also allows you to use the antenna that came with the radio - maybe not the best, but it keeps the anyteena outside of the auto.[/quote]

I agree with you the over the window is a lot better than the through the glass ( like the old cell antenna) i cant find a good picture but universal-radio sells them. when i google through the glass i get a lot of CB and scanner antennas.
EODguy wrote:MFJ duel band magnet mount, about $25.00 at HRO. Put it on a cookie sheet, makes a decent base ant.
this is also good it was my first antenna till i built a ground plane out of hanger and an so-239. BUT he was asking for a mobile set up. any of theses ideas will get you on the air and the antenna out side of the car is so much better than in the car.

EDIT: :oops: ok i guess i did not read correct he did not say mobile but mobile type set up my bad EODguy!

jt526

Post by jt526 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:16 am

All good info man, i am looking for both! Still working on getting all the accessories first, battery was doa so a new one of those on the way. Then off to antennaland!

Return to “Communications”