Alaska glacier Mock bug out-ing

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Alaska glacier Mock bug out-ing

Post by TacAir » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 pm

(edit)Mock bug to local glacier .

Don't think this goes into BO contest. We chose to not sleep in the cold rain (shrug) - guess that means were are getting "old".

Played with commo, in a 'real' bug out on foot would have a multiband hand held - no big battery!

Talked my wife into both a kitchen pass and into coming along for the hike - she agreed!

Started with a drive out of town to nearby glacier (eat your heart out)
Glacier in background.
Wife is carrying *her* short-term bug out ruck. Good for 3 days, if with me - I have the insulating mat. Has food, water, IFAK, water treatment, stove, cookset, summer sleeping gear. What it doesn't have is change of clothes. Does have one pr socks.
I'll post a separate breakout for it later.
Note the nice blue of the glacier.

Commo ruck and gear.
Sleeping pad, additional food, shelter, water, FAK, and a (rolls eyes) a SLA lead-acid battery and commo box, now slightly modified. Yes, I checked, it does weight a metric crapton - ~nearly 35 pounds - lead batteries will do that to you
The 12GA shotgun is because the AO is a 'highway' for bears - Prince William Sound is just a few miles away, on the other side of a mountain range; salmon on one side, berries and tourists on the other. Bear food either way.
Ranger dude recommened the piece, we normally carry anyway.

Foot of the glacier.
We had *hoped* that a bad wx forecast would keep the body count down. Not so much, a bus load of tourists were leaving as we arrived.
Nice ice field.
Water isn't an issue in this AO.

Commo in a box.
Antennas in long bag, battery in short bag, all this goes in ruck. Didn't need to rig the shelter part as wx was perfect!

Commo not in box.
FT-817, tuner, NUE PSK, wires and all the crap to make it all work.

20M was blasting in! Tons of Brits, Italy, Norway - just a ton of stations. A guess a contest was running, the band was full end to end, CW, SSB, PSK, RTTY.

For fun let wife listen to 19 meter world band while I garfed down some eats - it was smoking hot, stations end to end. In checking the HAARP site, the MUF was over 20 MHZ. (Finally!)

One handed PSK 31 - and I type like crap to begin with. You can preload all needed information for QSO in advance, then just load station in QSO. Pretty cool.

Counterpoise wire, how to attach to antenna, close up as requested earlier.

Ass-end of yearling moose, big enough to kill an adult human. We were booking at that point, hair of the shoulders was up - indicating it was a good time to haul ass. We did.

Lesson learned
Break in boots a bit more B4 hiking.

Wife was able to carry her beat feet kit no problem.
We plan to operate Ranger style, one sleeps, the other awake to watch for ... Well, bears, in this case.
So gear is kinda split, the insulation rolls fits better under my ALICE than her computer carry case bag.
Each has food, water, shelter (poncho). fire stuff, stove and IFAK min. to operate if separated.

Our BBBB (Big Bugout BOB Bags) are both ALICE rucks with sleeping bags, better gear and a change of clothes. Each with 4 to 6 days of food (In separate bag at upper right).

In Alaska, moose, like tourists, can be like cockroaches - there when you don't want them.

We had FUN - most important item.

Picnic time - she read a book, I played with commo. She got to hear the world while I chowed down. Except for the last bit, the drive was through world class beauty and the wx perfect. Enough wind to keep the skeeters at bay, but not bad enough to blow you over.

Funny world, we were out on the edge of no-where, well past the end of the road, and a extra-class ham from TX walks up to ask about setup. Wow.
Last edited by TacAir on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TacAir

Re: Alaska glacier Mock bug out-ing

Post by TacAir » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:32 am

Title edit to reflect Alaska chapter folks is doing something.... even if it's just a little trip...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 am

Cool little trip. My gramps was a volunteer park ranger in AK in his later years.

Moose sure are everywhere - two times back when going up flattop we ran into (figure of speech) a big bull right near the path. Some tourists like to play with fire how close they were getting...
Man is a beast of prey

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:13 pm

I said I would post some additional info on the bag carried by the sweet thing posted above

basic bag - front

Back of pack showing 'new' waist belt

Yes, that is an ALICE clip - and it works

Bag contents
1 L Nalgene water bottle with carrier and 18 oz 'pot
USGI camo poncho
Foodstuff (in camo bag)
Long handle spork - goes in carrier'
550 cord - lots
The red container holds a SOG mini-multitool and fire starter items
The white paper thing is a tyvek seat, I hate sitting on wet stuff
The dry bag is a polypro throw - rather than a poncho liner (see earlier post)
One each 2in ACE wrap.

CAMO bag is foodstuffs & cups
I lg pkg of trail mix
4 Jiff peanut butter minis (goes in soup)
Dry soup and Clif bars
Nesting cups which can be used as pot as well
Other comfort items not shown (carried in bag)
Stove module
Contractor bag - black 55 gal
Large pkg of Wet Ones
Card with duck tape
Space blanket inside of small dry bag
Flat LED flashlight

Inside the pot set
2 Cups (One holding 1 cup and the other holds just under 2 cups) with lid
4 coffee packets, 2 sugars and some gum
4 black tea bags (can also be considered p/o FAK)
1 pack MRE matches, compass and the white container is an Advil 'travel size' tube with strike anywhere matches.

Stove module
Esbit stove, w/ six heat tabs Modified to hold any of these pots or canteen cup (see this earlier post) I had 6 tabs, I also have an add-on kit for the stove left in car - with 24 additional heating tabs. Foil = extra winderbreak.

First aid, comfort, warmth, knives and sharpening tool, fire starting items
Bag with Wet One singles; water treatment tabs; packets of toilet paper.
Bag with basic FAK (4x4s, 2x2s, duck tape and moleskin, ASA and INN tabs.
Mandatory bandanas x 2 - water pre-filter or FAK cravats
Fire starter bar w/P-38 can opener // strike anywhere matches in USGI match case
Small knife, USGI field knife
Gerber sharpening tool
Hand warmer (p/o FAK)

The FAK items are in addition to a larger IFAK carried as part of 'group 'stuff"
(Image
The IFAK is the USGI kit in the middle of this image w/pouch
This module is designed for dealing with minor trauma with limited bleeding.
**Inside the nylon case we find:
Providone-Iodine prep pads
Hand wash packets (commercial - to clean your hands before or after)
Aluminized mylar ‘survival blanket’ - this to wrap the patient should shock or cold be an issue
Gauze eye pad
Latex or Nitrile gloves in Ziploc bag, not sterile, but clean
**Insert, First aid (plastic)
The plastic insert box holds:
Dressing, First aid, Field, Individual Troop, 4x7 inches (more than 1)
Bandage, muslin, compressed - a triangular bandage, or cravat
Band-Aid brand bandage 2x3 in (larger than the 1 x 2 in ones used in simple kits)
Band-Aid bandage, extra large
Adhesive bandages - 4 ‘normal’, 2 small
Foil packets, triple antibiotic
Foil packets, burn get (Lidocaine)
Large safety pins - for use with the cravat
Packet electrolyte tablets
Eye drops in tear-off dispenser
Book of waterproof (MRE) matches

This pack set up has
Two containers of strike anywhere matches, 2 packs of MRE matches and 2 fire starter bars. Having extra means I some limited barter stuff // have extra for folks who are without.

I carry a similar pack, with a USGI patrol bag in a bivy in a dry bag, a poly throw in a small dry bag, Frontier water filter and some extra chow. We plan on using the Ranger sleep system - that is two folks to one bag. This gives us 2 poly throws to use as 'temp range extenders' for the patrol bag - or with the space blanket a part of the FAK. (see link above).

The only 'downside' is the bright orange color, but in a non-SHTF situation, it's nice to help spot my other half.....

These are grab-and-go bags, for when we travel anywhere out of town, and this specific bag is used as a sorta GHB.

Enjoy!

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Are you missing food from the pictures/list or am I not calculating something correctly? There's no way you have 4-6 days of food in this:

CAMO bag is foodstuffs & cups
I lg pkg of trail mix
4 Jiff peanut butter minis (goes in soup)
Dry soup and Clif bars
Nesting cups which can be used as pot as well
Other comfort items not shown (carried in bag)
Stove module
Contractor bag - black 55 gal
Large pkg of Wet Ones
Card with duck tape
Space blanket inside of small dry bag
Flat LED flashlight

Inside the pot set
2 Cups (One holding 1 cup and the other holds just under 2 cups) with lid
4 coffee packets, 2 sugars and some gum
4 black tea bags (can also be considered p/o FAK)
1 pack MRE matches, compass and the white container is an Advil 'travel size' tube with strike anywhere matches.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 pm

[quote="rhunter1"]Are you missing food from the pictures/list or am I not calculating something correctly? There's no way you have 4-6 days of food in this:

So gear is kinda split, the insulation rolls fits better under my ALICE than her computer carry case bag.
Each has at least some food, water, shelter (poncho). fire stuff, stove and IFAK min. to operate if separated.
From earlier in the post -
Our BBBB (Big Bugout BOB Bags) are both ALICE rucks with sleeping bags, better gear and a change of clothes. Each with 4 to 6 days of food (In separate bag at upper right).
This bag has enough for
Coffee + clif bar in the morning

Some trail mix midday

Peanut butter + chicken soup at night.

All the calories needed? Not even close.
Something to eat vs nothing - yup. For 4 days. Pretty much. This food pack is for if we get seperated.
FWIW, my wife literally eats like a bird. No breakfast, little lunch, dinner of some worth - this will work for her - for others - dunno.

I have since added a Frontier filter so each bags has one, and an extra 6 Esbit heat tabs

Thanks for reading.

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Gotcha. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything ;) I'd suggest adding a 3600 cal lifeboat ration to each bag. Gives you a little more cushion for very little weight, compared to your comms gear.

Nice report. I'm not sure of the # below you're last name on the pack, but if it's something significant I'd advise removing it from the picture.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 pm

rhunter1 wrote:Gotcha. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything ;) I'd suggest adding a 3600 cal lifeboat ration to each bag. Gives you a little more cushion for very little weight, compared to your comms gear.

Nice report. I'm not sure of the # below you're last name on the pack, but if it's something significant I'd advise removing it from the picture.
Thanks
Mil-surp 'bonus' -- I'll try and find some lifeboat ration, good idea.

The comm ruck is a purpose built item. If I had to boogie, the last thing I would want to lig around is a lead-acid battery. When I was active I carried a PRC-47. the "P" in the AFSC was for Packmule.....

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:13 pm

TacAir wrote:
rhunter1 wrote:Gotcha. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything ;) I'd suggest adding a 3600 cal lifeboat ration to each bag. Gives you a little more cushion for very little weight, compared to your comms gear.

Thanks

The comm ruck is a purpose built item. If I had to boogie, the last thing I would want to lig around is a lead-acid battery. When I was active I carried a PRC-47. the "P" in the AFSC was for Packmule.....
AFSC...P

3P0X1?

And that is some awesome country side, so not used to that type of area my self. Digging that comm rig also.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Sckitzo wrote:
TacAir wrote:

Thanks

AFSC...P

3P0X1?

And that is some awesome country side, so not used to that type of area my self. Digging that comm rig also.
LOL
I grew up in SoAz, went to school in Tucson, joined the AF there.

Got smart and moved to Alaska, been chill'n since....

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I enjoyed this thread immensely, especially the glacier pictures! Love to see someone actually carrying comms gear too. For long term how would you recharge the batteries for the HF radio?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm

teotwaki wrote:I enjoyed this thread immensely, especially the glacier pictures! Love to see someone actually carrying comms gear too. For long term how would you recharge the batteries for the HF radio?
I have a roll up solar panel. 'Course up here, sunshine is an iffy thing to count on.

I'm still looking for a lower cost hand-crank genset NOT Henche en China. SO far, no luck. In a real live SHTF, I would take the radio and hope on finding a battery. The installed AA batteries will run the RX for a while...

Thanks for the kind words, we're lucky to live someplace great.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:52 pm

TacAir wrote:
teotwaki wrote:I enjoyed this thread immensely, especially the glacier pictures! Love to see someone actually carrying comms gear too. For long term how would you recharge the batteries for the HF radio?
I have a roll up solar panel. 'Course up here, sunshine is an iffy thing to count on.

I'm still looking for a lower cost hand-crank genset NOT Henche en China. SO far, no luck. In a real live SHTF, I would take the radio and hope on finding a battery. The installed AA batteries will run the RX for a while...

For at least the summer and spring months maybe a small water powered generator combined with your foldable solar panel?

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_hydro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've only been to Alaska twice but the second time was a fantastic expedition on Mount McKinley so I'd love to go back and see more of that great state!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 pm

teotwaki wrote:
TacAir wrote:

For at least the summer and spring months maybe a small water powered generator combined with your foldable solar panel?

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_hydro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've only been to Alaska twice but the second time was a fantastic expedition on Mount McKinley so I'd love to go back and see more of that great state!
Come on back and bring your firends! we could use the money.

Noven

Post by Noven » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Oh wow, that water generator is pretty slick. Too bad we don't have many year round streams in my parts. I bet it would work for you Tac Air.

bzimmerly
Favorite Zombie Movies: Devil's Crossing

Post by bzimmerly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:31 am

That was GREAT! I love the pictures and the narrative. :D
- Bill
Geezer Gadget Geek
ARES / ARRL / Call: K0WBZ

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:13 am

Way cool!!!!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:51 am

looked like fun.
So whats HAARP?
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

We'reWolf wrote:looked like fun.
So whats HAARP?
Short answer= http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long and funner answer -
Depends on who you talk to. One group of folks thinks (due to a book) that HAARP is a secret fedgov weapon that can
A) Alter the weather, anywhere in the world
B) Control minds (folks have passed on some really strange claims to me BTW)
C) A kind of super ground penetrating RADAR system that can 'see' submerged ballistic missile subs, among other things.
D) A weapon system of unimaginable power (Mawhahahaha)
E) Something so secret nobody really knows...they've all been done in by the gov't

OR

A high latitude research project to study the ionosphere. Mostly funded by the Navy to see what effect solar storms (like we are having right now) will have on GPS signals, how ELF (extremely low frequency) signals, like used by the Navy to communicate with our subs, are impacted.

Unlike most or all of the folks who have written about the HAARP project, I have been there. Located outside of Gllkana Alaska it is a collection of house trailers sitting on the edge of a field - the field holds antennas. THe antennas are used to excite the ionosphere and the results analyzed. It is run for the Navy by Phillips and the UofA, Fairbanks.

I was able to wander around at length, there is no real security, the gate is usually under a massive pile of snow - the trnasmitter area is fencedhttp://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; off to comply if FCC regulation. No black helicopters, no dial studded control rooms with ties back to an underground control center etc, etc, etc. Mostly Gov't pork for the interior of Alaska.

The website (http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/data.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) has data of use to Amateur radio operator and others - like satcom providers. You can see the effects of today's ongoing Class R1 storm for example.

For a better background, you can read more on the ionsphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionosphere" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
and something I find interesting
"The effects of powerful oblique radio transmission on the ionosphere on vertical sounding data" G.S. Bochkareva, and I.V. Krasheninnikov

To be fair, even our own Gov't has published -
According to researchers noted in USAF research paper "Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025", ionosphere heating was among techniques investigated by the former Soviet Union to either enhance friendly or disrupt enemy communications by modifying the natural ionosphere.

WHat started this whole thing is something called the" Luxembourg effect". There are indications that ground-based HF transmitters, including radars and strong radio stations, also modify the ionosphere and influence the performance of systems whose radio paths traverse the modified region. Perhaps the most famous example of the latter is the "Luxembourg" effect, first observed in 1933. In this case a weak Swiss radio station appeared to be modulated with signals from the powerful Luxembourg station, which was transmitting at a completely different frequency. Music from the Luxembourg station was picked up at the frequency of the Swiss station. So the effects on changing the ionosphere are 'real'

Finally, one of the loudest purveyors of myth, "Dr" Nick Begich - a local Anchorage school janitor, put out a book which, after being pimped by Art Bell, started the whole choice A-E seen above. The folks at HAARP tell me the good janitor has never been to the site - but he spins quite the tale.

Visit the site, read about the ionosphere and have fun.

Return to “Communications”