Eton G3

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mattltm

Eton G3

Post by mattltm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Does anyone else use an Eton G3? A nice piece of kit for some portable SWL. Here is my mini review..

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p ... bId=916030

What is it?

An Eton G3 Globe Traveller multi band receiver.

What does it do?

Covers 150KHz - 30MHz, 88-108MHz & 118-137MHz with SSB, AM & FM. It has a digital tuner, AM sync function, alarm and sleep function and many more functions that I'm to lazy to cover!

Is it any good?

I love this tiny box of radio wonders. It seems to run forever from it's 4 AA batteries (I power it with eneloops) and has a nice clean, sharp sound. Reception sensitivity is good and the AM sync works very well on mine although it's a bit hit and miss with the units so test it out before you buy. The wide and narrow filters work well and the fine tune is great on SSB reception. It has an external antenna socket (3.5mm mono jack) and I use it with a 120' coil of Racal antenna wire when I get the chance. That said, the internal rod antenna is good and has a strong directional null so its great for removing some interference from a week station.

The body of the receiver is finished in a rubber coating which offers no protection from drops and knocks but provides plenty of grip. My only dislikes about the unit are the flimsy, fold out stand and the fact that the buttons are not backlit.

Would I buy another?

Yes. This is a great radio that fits my needs perfectly. I may buy a spare to live in permanently the BOB.
"Spooky action at a distance."

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Re: Eton G3

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Sorry to hijack...
I think for BOB this radio is better. I have it in mine. I love it.
Etón American Red Cross ARCFR160R
  • AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio
    Flashlight
    Crank and Solar Power or battery
    Cell Phone Charger
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm

It look good but I prefer a radio with SW reception and SSB mode.
"Spooky action at a distance."

Bombastic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bombastic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 pm

CipherNameRaVeN wrote:Sorry to hijack...
I think for BOB this radio is better. I have it in mine. I love it.
Etón American Red Cross ARCFR160R
  • AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio
    Flashlight
    Crank and Solar Power or battery
    Cell Phone Charger
I've got that one too, it stores power incredibly well. It's a great radio and even better flashlight. The only think I dislike about this it is that it's USB charger will not work on the iPhone but I think this is more of Apple trying to stop third party accessories than a failure of Eton's part.

Shok
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Lethal Weapon 3

Post by Shok » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

I got the Grundig YB400 which is very similar but without the air band. I like mine very much it works good especially with an external antenna. It's not a BOB radio though. You can never have to many radios right?

Shok
NRA Life Member
ARRL Member

Return to “Communications”