Dahdah dahdahdah didahdit dididit dit ?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GoSlash27

Dahdah dahdahdah didahdit dididit dit ?

Post by GoSlash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Even though ARRL no longer considers morse code mandatory, do you folks still maintain proficiency?
Seems to me that a basic familiarity with code is a must have for survivalists.
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Re: Dahdah dahdahdah didahdit dididit dit ?

Post by IllicitDreams » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:27 pm

GoSlash27 wrote:Even though ARRL no longer considers morse code mandatory, do you folks still maintain proficiency?

I just got my Tech... I haven't learned code yet. I plan on it once I upgrade to General, I figure I'll need it once I really start exploring HF.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

Lord-Reaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Diary of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil

Post by Lord-Reaper » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 pm

I've been learning it just for fun. I only started a few days ago though.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." -T.S. Eliot

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm

LR,
A coupla freebies:
Learn to associate the sound with the letters rather than the images. Flash cards are a quick way to do it, but you have to say the sounds of the code out loud.
Also, if you have someone to correspond with in code it helps add some fun to the exercise.

Example:
Dahdahdit dididah dahdit dahdidit dahdahdah didahdah dahdit dahdahdit didit didididah dit dididit dah didididit dit dahdididit dit dididit dah didah dahdidit didididah didit dahdidahdit dit
R.A.S.P!
.. ... . . .,, .... ., , ,.,, ,,, .., ,.. .. ,.. , .... . .,. . ,,..,, ,.,. .,. ,.,, .,,. , ,,, .,.,.,

DeltaEchoVictor
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead
DOTD '04

Post by DeltaEchoVictor » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:12 am

GoSlash27 wrote:Even though ARRL no longer considers morse code mandatory, do you folks still maintain proficiency?
I'm going to make myself do it eventually. I suspect it's going to be a lot like memorizing all the damn drugs I had to memorize while going thru paramedic school though. I hate memorization so it's going to be one of those things I have to make myself do.
GoSlash27 wrote:LR,
A coupla freebies:
Learn to associate the sound with the letters rather than the images. Flash cards are a quick way to do it, but you have to say the sounds of the code out loud.
Also, if you have someone to correspond with in code it helps add some fun to the exercise.
Ugh, flashcards. **shudders** :D

Thanks for the tip.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Impus wrote:
Few things are better than running around naked in the woods with a gun and a camera.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:33 am

I'm a no code. I have a Rockmite CW QRP radio kit though, so maybe I'll have to learn it eventually.

But it's a relic from a bygone era.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Lord-Reaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Diary of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil

Post by Lord-Reaper » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:41 pm

GoSlash27 wrote:LR,
A coupla freebies:

Example:
Dahdahdit dididah dahdit dahdidit dahdahdah didahdah dahdit dahdahdit didit didididah dit dididit dah didididit dit dahdididit dit dididit dah didah dahdidit didididah didit dahdidahdit dit
Thanks for the tip. and yes, he does.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." -T.S. Eliot

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:54 pm

i keep the guide with me but i didnt memorize it

i keep one in my b.o.b one in my wallet

http://www.learnmorsecode.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; look there thats where i got mine
The future is for those who prepare.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 pm

this thread talks about uses for morse code, along with some other communication tips
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Bluesman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Bluesman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi all,

I am new here, but I have a Extra ticket. If you want to learn morse code, I would recommend this little program. It's free and very handy.

http://www.justlearnmorsecode.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ignorance is a self-inflicted wound - Bluesman

KC0KSV Extra Class

Group Think = No Think

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:12 pm

DeltaEchoVictor,
The way I worked it was to break it down into 4 chunks by audio pattern.
First group are E,I,S,U,H,V, and F because they all start with a "didit" pattern.
Next, the "didah" group, then incorporate the two, and so on.
It's more important to work from pattern to letter rather than letter to pattern. Remember that there's no pattern between the appearance of a written letter and it's sound either and you managed to pull that one off.
R.A.S.P!

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Thx for that link slugg. I DL'd it and I have been practicing all day. I want to learn it but not sure if I'm gonna be very proficient.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

dug

Post by dug » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Try these 2 practice programs as well:

http://www.rufzxp.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This just beeps out callsigns to you. Get one right and it moves up 1 word per minute in speed; miss one and it drops 1 wpm. Basically it constantly nudges you to get *just* a little faster with your copy while adjusting to what you can handle. Astonishingly effective and even more addictive.

http://www.dxatlas.com/MorseRunner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A CW contest simulator. If you're a ham at some point you'll be bitten by the contesting bug. It will take you about 2 contests to figure out that the REAL points are on the CW sub-bands. This is especially true if you have a local noise problem or if the sun doesn't freckle up; CW gets through when voice just can't do it. This program simulates running a pile-up in a cw contest. Again, ADDICTIVE.

Both of these programs work really well for me by turning what used to feel like homework into what feels more like a weird audio version of a video game.

bikeguy

Post by bikeguy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:33 pm

i occasionally have fun with morse code - i first learned it back in the early 60s

After you learn morse well for the first time it's kind of like learning to swim or ride a bicycle - even after laying off for years it'll come back to you really quickly

I'd guess with a month of copying the code off of the air and practice I could get back to 13 wpm after about a month

-bob

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:38 pm

I got up to 15 wpm back in the day when I got my General, but only have used it to teach others Morse code in license classes, never tried it on the air. Not that the code isn't required for licenses, I haven't had any practice since.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Johnsky

Post by Johnsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:08 pm

ditdahdah ditditditdit dahdahdah ditdit ditditdit dahdahdit ditditdah dahdit dahditdit dahdahdah ditdahdah dahdit
ditdah dahdit dahditdit ditdahdah ditditditdit ditdah dah ditdah dahditdit ditditditdah ditdit dahditdahdit dit dahditdit dahdahdah dit ditditdit ditditditdit dit dahdahdit ditdit ditditditdah dit

Yeah, I used to be fast enough with morse to translate and reply by sound on the fly... but I'm a bit rusty with it now... I have to actually think about it now.

KeeblerNinjaClan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by KeeblerNinjaClan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:05 pm

crypto wrote:But it's a relic from a bygone era.
I disagree. If you listen to the Tucson police scanner, they use morse code all the time. I don't understand it so I have no idea what they are transmitting, but I bet that is the point.

For you guys who are studying this, have fun with it: http://www.azstarnet.com/subsections/sp ... d=scanner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guns, Gear and Guy stuff
JibbaJabba wrote:Bottom line - you don't want stupid shit happening to you, don't do stupid shit in stupid places at a stupid time.

JibbaJabba
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by JibbaJabba » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:08 pm

How hard would it be to connect an analog reciever that works in morse to a digital reader that translates it into text on-the-fly?

Has something like this already been invented? (I'm guessing yes)
PlE or GTFO! Image
bonanacrom wrote:I found that if your 6 feet tall and weigh 260 pounds and answer the door naked with a big shit eating grin on your face you get to control the conversation right from the beginning.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm

I (and another guy) built a device in college that connected to a shortwave radio, took the morse code signal, cleaned it up and turned it into a series of digital pulses, fed it into my prof's Apple IIc computer (it was 1982), translated it into English, and displayed it on the screen. That project was a bitch. The computer wouldn't run fast enough to keep up using the translation program I wrote in Basic, so I had to teach myself assembly language to make it run fast enough. Part of the project was based on a circuit in a book, which had the pins labeled incorrectly on a IC chip, which took us days to figure out. We finally got it to work for the first time three hours before it was due.

Anyway, morse code is still a very valid mode of communication. When there is so much noise that voice is incomprehensible, morse code is still very clear. I know a guy who is really fast. At his best, he could go 50 wpm. He works CW while driving. He has a key strapped to his leg, and since he hears code like you and I hear words, he can easily work CW.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

thecheeto

Post by thecheeto » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:16 pm

JibbaJabba wrote:How hard would it be to connect an analog reciever that works in morse to a digital reader that translates it into text on-the-fly?

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but still interesting none the less.
bookshop wrote:I like bacon and I'm a Vegan.
Pig is a tasty animal.

RIP HK33K

dug

Post by dug » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 am

JibbaJabba wrote:How hard would it be to connect an analog reciever that works in morse to a digital reader that translates it into text on-the-fly?

Yes, that's been available for a while. The easiest method, since you have a computer, is to just put a cable from the headphone jack into your soundcard. Then run a free program like CW-Get from http://www.dxsoft.com/micwget.htm to decode the CW. There are a LOT of ham programs and modes that use the soundcard as a modem.

There are also purpose-built devices like some products from MFJ Enterprises:
http://mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?p ... d=MFJ-462B
http://mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-461

Decoders like these work best with machine generated CW with perfect dit-to-dah ratios. If there's too much static or if a human has a sloppy fist they can't get the job done as well. In those situations the best decoder is still the one between your ears.

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:21 am

Johnsky,

dahdahdit dididah dahdit dahdidit dahdahdah didahdah dahdit _ didit dididit _ didah _ dahdah dit dididit dididit dit dahdit dahdahdit dit didahdit _ dididahdit didahdit dahdahdah dahdah _ dah didididit dahdahdah didahdit _ didahdidahdidah_ dahdidahdit didahdidit didit dahdidahdit dahdidah dahdidahdah _ dah didididit dit _ didahdidit didit dahdit dahdidah dahdidahdah _ didit dahdit_ dahdah dahdidahdah _ dididit didit dahdahdit_didah dahdit dahdidit _ didahdit dit didahdidit dit didah dididit dit _ dah didididit dit _ didididit dahdahdah dididah dahdit dahdidit dididit_ didahdidahdidah

I still haven't found a practice generator I like. The AA9PW practice page is a great idea, but it's just a little too quick between the letters for me to decipher. If you slow it down, it adds space between the words.
I can code the alphabet at 7wpm, but some of the letters are automatic (like C) and some of them make me stop and think (like W).. Still a work in progress.
R.A.S.P!

GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 pm

I found a really good freeware trainer here. I've downloaded it on both my computers and it runs bug-free.
It allows you to learn one new character at a time in a way that programs your brain to automatically think the letter when you hear the sound. It also simulates background noise, station fade, faint background stations, you name it.

Clicky for demonstration on Youtube
R.A.S.P!

Yggdrasil

Post by Yggdrasil » Thu May 28, 2009 2:23 pm

If anyone is interested here is a website for learning CW.
http://www.lcwo.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its all web based and uses koch method.
let me know if it wprks for anyone.

Return to “Communications”