Mobile Phone Battery Charger

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TC

Mobile Phone Battery Charger

Post by TC » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the little emergency mobile/cell phone chargers that run of a AA or similar battery like the one in the pic below. Are they decent, will they damage the phone at all? I have seen some that are so ridiculously cheap that I couldn't help wondering if they were going to fry the phone due to shody construction.

If they are any good, I'd appreciate suggestions on any particular brand that is good to buy. Also, if anyone knows of any other small sized charger that can plug into a mini-USB port, I'd love to hear about it. I've got a wind up charger, but I'd rather have something that is smaller and doesn't require me to wind a handle at just the right speed for an hour!

Here's a pic to show the sort of thing I am talking about:

KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

acropolis5

Re: Mobile Phone Battery Charger

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:35 pm

I gave the same unit to my son, with extra batteries, to at least partially recharge his cell phone when he went to a 3 day, camp-out, rock concert. It did not work for him, perhaps because he didn't use it until the phone's battery was DEAD. This prompted me to switch to the twin lithium AA battery Charge2Go units. I haven't yet tested the new units.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:02 pm

i have one, its not worth it to me unless you use rechargable batteries. cuz u go through 2 per full charge on your phone.
Just keep livin

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:37 pm

I have the Energizer version and with 2 lithium batteries it will recharge my Motorola Razr quickly or better yet, it will allow me to complete a phone call if my battery gets low. 2 AA batteries (lithium or alkaline) equal 1 charge so it is not cheap but for critical calls it is great.

http://www.energizer.com/products/energ ... arger.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I have 3 batteries for my phone (I use about 2,000 minutes per month, so yes I am a blabbermouth). I have 2 regular batteries and one high capacity batteries. It works better to just slip a new battery in to replace the discharged battery. A new battery is about the same price as these gizmos and is reusable. However that does not work if you are in the middle of a conference call, hence the need for the battery gizmo.

Personally I recommend a couple of spare batteries first then buy the Energizer unit. The other thing I do is use the USB port on my laptop to steal power from it to charge the phone. This assumes you have both a laptop and power for the laptop obviously.

airballrad
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by airballrad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:44 pm

raptor wrote:The other thing I do is use the USB port on my laptop to steal power from it to charge the phone.
Amen. It took some fast talking to get my wife to go for a phone with a USB connector this time around, but it has already come in handy a few times.

I also have the Energizer charger you mentioned. It was on clearance at the hardware store for $15. It may be worth noting that the phone (at least mine but I expect the same with most) can run off this with the phone battery removed completely. This would be handy if the battery is lost or damaged and cannot be connected.

Return to “Communications”