Emergency Communications Primer

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:55 am

For national parks then you could look at another idea of mine, a mobile repeater. I'm building my truck/bov into sort of a mini rv to act as a base camp for out outdoor activities. so my plan is to park the truck someplace in the middle of the part then we hike, bike, camp, whatever around for a few days. I'm taking ideas from places like http://expeditionportal.com/forum/
Basically I have a tall truck cap to store supplies and gear under and we could sleep there if needed. Secondary electrical system like an RV which will eventually be charged via solar to keep all the toys working. I hope to build a small repeater in the truck then a decent sized antenna that can set up on top. Battery chargers for the gear batteries, 12v fridge, on board water tanks, etc to let us stay extended periods of time.

SuperCaptainCoolMan

Post by SuperCaptainCoolMan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:09 am

Here's some information on the effects of a high-altitude nuclear blast from the Wikipedia article on Operation Starfish Prime
About 1500 kilometers (930 statute miles) away in Hawaii, the electromagnetic pulse (EMP) created by the explosion was felt as three hundred street lights failed, television sets and radios malfunctioned, burglar alarms went off and power lines fused. On Kauai, EMP shut down telephone calls to the other islands by burning out the equipment used in a microwave link.
Like you said, that's all stuff that has antennas or long strands of wire. It sounds like it may be prudent to store your emergency radio in a metal canister such as an old ammo box "just in case."

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Emergency Communications Primer

Post by sheddi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm bumping this thread because - despite it being six years since the OP - I've not seen anything quite so comprehensive and it deserves an audience.

And don't mess the thread up. Seriously.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

rpc

Post by rpc » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Thank you for the bump!

I didn't realize that it's been so long since I wrote that. I have continued to update it over the years, and it now resides at the following link:

http://w0is.com/emergencyprep/emergency ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A different version is also available as a Kindle book. However, unless you really want it formatted for Kindle, you can save your money and just read the free version. The free version contains advertising, but most of the advertising consists of links to relevant products on Amazon and other places.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Rpc:

Thank you for a most excellent post!

Odinsown

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:45 pm

This was extremely helpful - gave me all the basics that I needed but stopped right before my eyes galzed over and I started missing important info - Thanks!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 pm

A must read for any one interested in purchasing a radio.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Return to “Communications”