DXing

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

DXing

Post by Chicago Zombie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:25 pm

My RACES group just had a short training on DXing at the monthly meeting. It was pretty interesting.
(I'm from Illinois & the farthest contact I ever had was Texas.)

Does anybody here do DXing as a hobby?
What's the farthest or most unique contact you have ever gotten?

From Wikipedia:
DXing is the hobby of receiving and identifying distant radio or television signals, or making two way radio contact with distant stations in amateur radio, citizens' band radio or other two way radio communications.
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Re: DXing

Post by Chicago Zombie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Right now the Palmyra 2016 DXpedition is going on.
A team of 12 operators will operate five stations over a 14 day period, from January 11 through January 26 at the Palmyra Atoll in the South Pacific to give people a chance to make contact with a unique location.

http://palmyra2016.org/index.html
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:37 pm

From Alaska -

I worked Jim Smith, VK9NS - on Norfolk Island, Australia, on 10 meters SSB.

What makes that unusual is that Jim was hard core CW-only op. He had just worked on a marine radio and was making a couple of calls on 10 meters. I got to him before the pileup started....

I worked Bonnie Crystal, KQ6XA, on one of her South American caving trips.

All this means is I was using a 100 watt transceiver and was paying attention. I now run QRP for the fun factor.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 am

I posted a few threads on the forum here about my new radio and attempts at getting DX contacts. I have built a few antennas too, a 20 metre dipole and a 20 metre vertical; and recently a 40 metre vertical.

I only have a QRP rig and a small tuner.

A few weeks ago I was out in the bush overnight and had the radio set up. Made a contact in the Ukraine on 20 metres and only 5 watts from Ontario, Canada. That's 8000km! The Ukrainian guy confirmed my QSO on QRZ.com too, so that was kinda cool; he said I was 5/5.

I was super surprised I made it that far and this more than doubled my furthest contact distance. I have a write-up in the works for that trip that I will post soon.

I contacted a Russian icebreaker once that was up near Norway; that was likely the most unique contact I have had - http://www.qrz.com/db/RI0POL

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:15 am

I was licensed to operate as HL9MC under our SOFA agreement in Seoul. There were only a handful of HL9 stations so when folks heard that unusual prefix they thought it was 'rare' DX and quite a few were disappointed when they found out I was just another ROK station. That being said, it's surprising how well people around the world can hear you when they want to.

I was running 100 watts into a trapped dipole and one end was tied to a retaining wall, arguably my antenna was below ground level, but I confirmed 93 countries in less than a year. My furthest DX was probably somewhere in the Americas. Short path to Brazil is over 17,000 km.

My best DX wasn't the furthest. One night I heard a couple of Japanese stations pop out of the noise on six meters loud and clear. They were shocked when I called them. Someone posted it to a spot net and in moments I had dozens of Japanese stations calling at one time. An hour later they sunk back into the noise. I probably logged 40 or 50 stations in under an hour; what a blast.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm only a technician class Amatuer radio dude, so I'm limited to 10m for HF, but I've made some pretty far contacts. My favorite ones are always W1AW stations, no matter what they are. Here's all the farthest ones I have logged. I'm in Eastern Iowa, US. Cool thing about most of these is I was MOBILE!

W1AW/4 - Connecticut - 996 miles
W1AW/6 - Santa Clara, California - 1614 miles
W1AW/7 - Somewhere in AZ - ~1167 miles
Uruguay station - 5771 miles
Venezuela station - 2655 miles
Tule Lake, CA - 1503 miles
Federal Way, WA - 1525 miles
Argentina Station - 5713 miles
Hana, Hawaii - 3956 miles
Clovis, NM - 795 miles
Corpus Christi, TX - 1027 miles
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm in southwestern Pennsylvania. My furthest has got to be either Jim from New Zealand, or maybe the Canadian serviceman I talked to in the Indian Ocean at the Chagos archipelago.

I talked to a DXpedition at the North Pole. That was geographically interesting.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “Communications”