2 meter vs police scanner vs AM radio information quality

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

2 meter vs police scanner vs AM radio information quality

Post by Close_enough » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:34 pm

I've been noticing that the information broadcast by the AM stations tasked for emergencies has been getting progressively useless over the years. During the last major power outage, they sacrificed usable information, like traffic reports, in favor of political hay during the initial scramble. Is listening to the local ARES teams or the police scanner going to provide much better information? Particulary in regards to a large area (utilities outage, severe weather, wild fires, riots) problem?

NoSeeUm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston

Re: 2 meter vs police scanner vs AM radio information qualit

Post by NoSeeUm » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:04 pm

In Cedar Rapids when severe weather is coming, I tune to ARES. That's because the national weather and news channels are depending on spotters. If the news is in weather emergency mode, I'm hearing the details 2 plus minutes ahead of their report.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Never chase dangerous prey. Wait until it wanders into your kill zone.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:49 am

police scanner wouldn't have much information for power outage, if you can find the local utility's frequency, that would have information. (weather or not it is helpful is another issue)
severe weather, look up the local sky warn frequency (as noted above)
for fire, you would want your local 'tactical' frequencies.
riots would be on the police 'tactical' channels

in case you don't already have it, here is a link to a great place of frequencies for your scanner.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?coid=1

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:02 pm

I was in the woods last night listening on 40 metres. Picked up a net in Missouri (I think) which was giving out lots of information about roads being closed due to flooding. I may not have the locale correct with my bad memory but where ever that net was operating there was useful information to be had for a local person.

Up here in Canada, I hear a lot of U.S. nets on 40 metres...

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 pm

NoSeeUm wrote:In Cedar Rapids when severe weather is coming, I tune to ARES. That's because the national weather and news channels are depending on spotters. If the news is in weather emergency mode, I'm hearing the details 2 plus minutes ahead of their report.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I'm very nearby. Fortunately for us, ARES, Skywarn, LCEMA and Rockwell all play well together. Rockwell having their own WX RADAR is awesome. The way we see weather spotters and NWS talking direct to eachother seems normal to us, but in most other places in the country, the relationships aren't, uh... "quite as strong".

Anyway, we're lucky how it works around here. It doesn't work like that most other places.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:35 am

I got one of these "value priced" handhelds.

http://baofengradio.us/uv-5r-v2-2nd-gen.html

They are programmable, have the scan option, and get fm also. Just wish they got my local am stations. Except forthe Am channel thing they are doing everything I want them to do so far.

Just get the programming cable and download CHIRP.

I some good nights I get police channels from way out. Well over 15 miles.

Return to “Communications”