My anytone TERMN-8R broke :(

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

My anytone TERMN-8R broke :(

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Earlier today I dropped my TERMN-8R and it hit the pavement. The LCD broke :( The drop wasn't very far. I tried setting the radio on the hood of my dad's car and it slid off. I had assumed the TERMIN-8R was a reasonably sturdy radio. I guess I was wrong.

I will see if I can send it off to Anytone to get fixed. I will have to check to see what sort of warranty it has. Hopefully I can get the radio fixed. I like that HT quite a bit. This experience and one with a BaoFeng UV-5R has soured me on cheap HT's. I have dropped my FT-60 multiple times and it still works great. Until I can get the Anytone fixed I will go back to using my FT-60R as my EDC radio.

Experiences like this are why I recommend that new hams get a solid radio like an FT-60. A cheap HT is fine as a secondary/backup radio; but it shouldn't be your first or only radio if at all possible. A broken radio does you no good in a disaster.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My anytone TERMN-8R broke :(

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 pm

I went to the anytone site to see about warranty repair. So it turns you need to register the radio first before you can contact them regarding repair. I hadn't registered the radio. So I went ahead and filled out the warranty info on their website. I click the register button and it tells me it's too late to register the radio. You have to register no later than 45 days after purchase :vmad: I will have to send them an email to see if I can send it to them for repairs at all. Maybe it's my bad for not registering the radio on time but come on; the radio was purchased April 18th! I will contact them via their website to see what they say. I hope I can get the radio fixed. Otherwise it will be $130 down the toilet.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.

Acronyms

My photography and art

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:16 am

I doubt dropping the radio is covered by their warranty anyway. Let us know if they offer a repair service, don't be surprised if they don't offer the service....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:38 am

TacAir wrote:I doubt dropping the radio is covered by their warranty anyway. Let us know if they offer a repair service, don't be surprised if they don't offer the service....
They offer a repair service but all I could see was warranty repairs.

https://anytonetech.com/product-repair

If they wont take it for repairs am I just screwed out of $130? Given how the screen is cracked the radio is unusable. The radio seems to be fine otherwise. I wonder how difficult it would be to find a replacement LCD and how difficult it would be to swap it out?

Acronyms

My photography and art

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:48 am

Maybe see if you can get a new screen. Find a use on Ebay that the screen is ok and maybe something does not work as rub the parts needs. Could be a great learning experience on repair.
Zombies don't ski.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Hollis wrote:Maybe see if you can get a new screen. Find a use on Ebay that the screen is ok and maybe something does not work as rub the parts needs. Could be a great learning experience on repair.
The problem is that it's a relatively new model of radio that got taken off the market due to not being properly FCC certified. So there isn't likely to be much on the used market. I will have to contact anytone to see I can send it in for repairs and just pay to get it fixed.

Acronyms

My photography and art

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:40 pm

Wow, Purple_Mutant you seem to be good at breaking radios. You should get a job at consumer reports, just take items home for a month and if they survive living with you then they get the approval :lol: :wink: .

I am just teasing, don't take that too serious, I have actually said the same about myself. I tend to be pretty hard on stuff and if it can break easy I tend to find a way to do it within a month. Main reason I have never shelled out for some of the high end sunglasses even though I am very light sensitive and require sunglasses on sunny days. I just know I will end up breaking them.

Sucks your Termn-8r broke already. Hopefully there is a way to get the screen repaired. Does the radio still actually work? Is the only problem the screen damage? Or is more broken? I hadn't seen you mention if other than the screen how the radio was functioning.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 pm

ineffableone wrote:Wow, Purple_Mutant you seem to be good at breaking radios. You should get a job at consumer reports, just take items home for a month and if they survive living with you then they get the approval :lol: :wink: .

I am just teasing, don't take that too serious, I have actually said the same about myself. I tend to be pretty hard on stuff and if it can break easy I tend to find a way to do it within a month. Main reason I have never shelled out for some of the high end sunglasses even though I am very light sensitive and require sunglasses on sunny days. I just know I will end up breaking them.

Sucks your Termn-8r broke already. Hopefully there is a way to get the screen repaired. Does the radio still actually work? Is the only problem the screen damage? Or is more broken? I hadn't seen you mention if other than the screen how the radio was functioning.
I only seem to have a problem with cheap radios. I have dropped my FT-60 multiple times and it still works great. I have dropped my cell phone multiple times and it still works.

The radio it's self seems to be fine. As far as I can tell the only problem is the screen. If I have no luck with anytone I may see if amazon will take it back. If I can get a refund that's at least something.

Acronyms

My photography and art

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:09 pm

this is the -3 R.

I went thru a few of the Urinary Olympiad threads on the Radio Reference site, I could almost swear I saw someone post a pic of the -8R board set....

Anyway, you can swap out the screen, but you will need some specialized tools, a ESD safe work area and be conversant with SMD level soldering. Oh, and you'll need a replacement screen.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:58 pm

I have never done surface mount soldering. So perhaps fixing this radio isn't a job for someone else. I still haven't gotten around to contacting anytone to see if I can pay them to fix it.

Acronyms

My photography and art

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:30 am

Sorry to hear that P_M, was hoping it would get stellar reviews if it ever makes it back on the market.

Might consider a Puxing UV973 if you can't get the TERMN-8R repaired. Similar features and gets generally good reviews. Happy owner of one myself, and according to one review on Amazon it survived a 2-story fall onto concrete - twice.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:17 pm

CrossCut wrote:Sorry to hear that P_M, was hoping it would get stellar reviews if it ever makes it back on the market.

Might consider a Puxing UV973 if you can't get the TERMN-8R repaired. Similar features and gets generally good reviews. Happy owner of one myself, and according to one review on Amazon it survived a 2-story fall onto concrete - twice.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Acronyms

My photography and art

TheQuietSurvivalist

Post by TheQuietSurvivalist » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:10 am

I see on many online forums the urge to go cheep, when the same posters say cheap is wrong in every other category of gear

Do you buy cheap rope, cheap harnesses, cheap water filters, cheap guns etc? But its a surprise when cheap chinese junk breaks??

Radios are the poster children for " You get exactly what you pay for" These radios are a prime example of price driven purchases. You cant justify a good radio, but theres always money for another gun to profile with, or another BOB.

Buying something that is prone to failure is NOT an investment, its just a false sense of security

The same money spent on that radio could have bought a VX3, with a warranty, with customer service and with electronics that arent slave labor low bidder.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:26 am

Inexpensive radios are fine as backup/spare radios. But they shouldn't be your only radio. On the quality side of things I have an FT-60R and a FT-250R. One of the things that turned off of the VX3 was the power output. It's only 1.5 watts. The TERMN-8R puts out 5 watts. I like the TERMN-8R, but if it gets damaged that easily I can't recomend it. The BaoFeng UV-5R is at least cheap enough that if it gets damaged it's not that big a deal.

What I am looking for is an HT that puts out 5 watts, transmits on at least 2m and 70cm, and has wide receive coverage. The coverage of the FT-60 plus the FM broadcast band, Shortwave, and AM broadcast band. And the radio should be reasonably sturdy and weather resistant. It would also be nice if the radio had banks the way scanners do. Here in CA we have a linked repeater system on 70cm. It would be nice to have all those repeaters programmed into one bank. Oh and it would be nice if the radio didn't cost an arm and a leg. Less than $200 would be nice.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 am

Despite the low power output the VX-3R looks tempting as an EDC radio. In an EDC roll I am most likely to be using a repeater. So higher power output my not be needed. If am on my bike I would be using the roll up Ed Fong J pole I have attached to a bike flag. So the higher gain of the J pole may compensate for the lower output to some extent.

One of the sad things about the TERMN-8R is that the cross band repeat can't be legally used since it doesn't have Morse code ID functionality. That feature was one of the things that drew me to the radio. On the whole it seems I would have doen better spending just a little more for a VX-3R.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:19 am

Sorry to hear about the broken radio and hopefully Anytone Tech can help you out. On the topic of cheap radios, I've owned many of the "cheap" Chinese radios and their are drastic differences between the various companies and models. The cheapest Baofeng radios are basically a single chip radio with an RF power amp attached, they overload very easy in high RF environments but their still great radios for the price.

The Wouxun radios seem to be a cut above with the newer KG-UV8D being a very nice and versatile radio. I have several Anytone radios and the AT-3318UV series are the best I've encountered and hold their own with top of the line Yaesu handhelds for RF performance. The 3318's are very rugged and I've dropped mine onto concrete from chest level and they just bounce and keep on working.

BTW, the Anytone Tech Termn-8R appears to be based on the AT-3318UV series and if so would be a great radio performance wise. It appears the display on the AT-3318UV might be recessed and protected more than the Termin-8R, which might make it less susceptible to damage.

I know the AT-3318UV series is not FCC type accepted for GMRS, FRS or MURS but it is FCC type accepted for part 90 commercial use. Im not advocating illegal use of a radio, but in a pinch the AT-3318UV can be programmed for GMRS, FRS and MURS plus the top of the line model also covers the 220 amateur band in addition to VHF and UHF amateur and commercial. The AT-3318UV's are also currently available where the Termin-8R is on hold until FCC certification is dealt with.
Radio Guy

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:06 pm

I feel your pain. My Codan 9323 is still in the shop being fixed

the screen failed, and being a Codan only a Codan repair shop will touch it

this is going to be one expensive repair :ohdear:
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:Inexpensive radios are fine as backup/spare radios. But they shouldn't be your only radio. On the quality side of things I have an FT-60R and a FT-250R. One of the things that turned off of the VX3 was the power output. It's only 1.5 watts. The TERMN-8R puts out 5 watts. I like the TERMN-8R, but if it gets damaged that easily I can't recomend it. The BaoFeng UV-5R is at least cheap enough that if it gets damaged it's not that big a deal.

What I am looking for is an HT that puts out 5 watts, transmits on at least 2m and 70cm, and has wide receive coverage. The coverage of the FT-60 plus the FM broadcast band, Shortwave, and AM broadcast band. And the radio should be reasonably sturdy and weather resistant. It would also be nice if the radio had banks the way scanners do. Here in CA we have a linked repeater system on 70cm. It would be nice to have all those repeaters programmed into one bank. Oh and it would be nice if the radio didn't cost an arm and a leg. Less than $200 would be nice.
VX-5R on flea bay wth a buy it now price of 115

HERE I HAVE IS THE YAESU VX-5R TRIBAND RADIO TRANSCEIVER WITH 3 BATTERY PACKS 1 is needing the clip fixed . also the headset very worn but works . also the programming software and cable , disc has the manual on it , RADIO WORKS good , on and off switch needs a cleaning or a new replacement keypad . it takes a few seconds while pressing the on off switch to come on only problem i see , SOME SCUFF MARKS on case ,external charger unit as well , BIDDING IN THE USA 48 STATES ONLY ,SHIPPING WILL BE 18.00 DOLLARS ,i have used the radio WITH GREAT audio USA BIDDERS ONLY PLEASE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAESU-VX-5R-HAM ... 1693779777

lots more on there -- only thing is the HF RX stops at 16 MHz. Have had one for years, very good radio.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:51 am

TacAir wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAESU-VX-5R-HAM ... 1693779777

lots more on there -- only thing is the HF RX stops at 16 MHz. Have had one for years, very good radio.
The lack of full HF coverage might be a deal breaker for me. But it looks like I will probably end up getting one of the VX series radios. I will just have to keep an eye out on ebay.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:04 pm

I had a VX-5R but it seem like it was 20yrs ago, good in the day but getting a bit outdated.
prcguy
TacAir wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:Inexpensive radios are fine as backup/spare radios. But they shouldn't be your only radio. On the quality side of things I have an FT-60R and a FT-250R. One of the things that turned off of the VX3 was the power output. It's only 1.5 watts. The TERMN-8R puts out 5 watts. I like the TERMN-8R, but if it gets damaged that easily I can't recomend it. The BaoFeng UV-5R is at least cheap enough that if it gets damaged it's not that big a deal.

HERE I HAVE IS THE YAESU VX-5R TRIBAND RADIO TRANSCEIVER WITH 3 BATTERY PACKS 1 is needing the clip fixed . also the headset very worn but works . also the programming software and cable , disc has the manual on it , RADIO WORKS good , on and off switch needs a cleaning or a new replacement keypad . it takes a few seconds while pressing the on off switch to come on only problem i see , SOME SCUFF MARKS on case ,external charger unit as well , BIDDING IN THE USA 48 STATES ONLY ,SHIPPING WILL BE 18.00 DOLLARS ,i have used the radio WITH GREAT audio USA BIDDERS ONLY PLEASE

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Radio guy wrote:I had a VX-5R but it seem like it was 20yrs ago, good in the day but getting a bit outdated.
prcguy

buy it now price of 115 Older = better price point....
TacAir wrote:

Radio guy

Post by Radio guy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:13 am

It looks like the Anytone AT-3318UV-D would fit your needs. http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=3 ... gory_id=64 Its a VHF/UHF 136-174MHz @ 5W and 400-520MHz @ 4W with part 90 certification and has AM and FM broadcast reception plus AM SW and VHF AM aircraft reception.

You can assign channels to banks like a scanner and since it’s a true dual radio you can be scanning a specific bank of channels on one half of the radio while the other half does something completely different.

Plus the radio is a full blown cross band repeater and can do full duplex between a VHF and UHF channel with an earpiece. It also has thoughtful features like talk around and one of the side buttons can be programmed to be a second PTT button so each half of the radio has a separate PTT.

The price is $149 and for $40 more you can get the E version that adds the 220 band to make it a tri-band radio. These seem to be very rugged radios and are smaller and rounder than most making them easy to carry.
Radio Guy

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:23 am

Radio guy wrote:It looks like the Anytone AT-3318UV-D would fit your needs. http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=3 ... gory_id=64 Its a VHF/UHF 136-174MHz @ 5W and 400-520MHz @ 4W with part 90 certification and has AM and FM broadcast reception plus AM SW and VHF AM aircraft reception.

You can assign channels to banks like a scanner and since it’s a true dual radio you can be scanning a specific bank of channels on one half of the radio while the other half does something completely different.

Plus the radio is a full blown cross band repeater and can do full duplex between a VHF and UHF channel with an earpiece. It also has thoughtful features like talk around and one of the side buttons can be programmed to be a second PTT button so each half of the radio has a separate PTT.

The price is $149 and for $40 more you can get the E version that adds the 220 band to make it a tri-band radio. These seem to be very rugged radios and are smaller and rounder than most making them easy to carry.
Radio Guy

Given my experience with the TERMN-8R I am not sure I want another anytone radio. So far I have had great luck with Yaesu. I have dropped my FT-60R a number of times and it still works great. So I think I will keep an eye out for a cheap Yaesu VX series radio on ebay. the VX-6R looks nice.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Return to “Communications”