Elmer question BaoFeng BF-F8HP vs UV-5R

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jeepinbandtrider

Re: Elmer question BaoFeng BF-F8HP vs UV-5R

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Check your CTCSS codes compared to the local repeaters. You might not have them punched in and you won't pick up any transmissions that way.

Also check the real range on those. If you are standing indoors you have to be very close to most VHF repeaters to pick them up.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:33 pm

emclean wrote:
I have dropped mine more than once and it still works great. Although it isn't advertised at water resistant; I haven't had any problems with it in light rain.
both true of my UV-5R. my first one has been through 2 years of cub scout camp, and is still going strong. (well as strong as it ever was)
can't be charged off 12 volts, and don't have AA holders
sure you can. there are cables for car charging, or you can go for a battery elimanator if you are going to be uesing it in your car all the time.
there are backs to use AA batteries around.

one of the things that makes the baofengs nice for prepping is that for the same cost as a Yaesu FT-60, i can get 4 or 5. so i can easly afford to have extra on hand. i do not worry about my EDC HT gtting lost or stolen.
Look like you have been luckier than I have in regards to UV-5r durability. I may go ahead and replace the battery with one of the high capacity ones. I wasn't aware of the 12 volt charger. I just look it up. What I have found is a car charger that plugs into the charging base for the HT. I may get one of those so I can charge off my battery bank like I do with my other radios. Unfortunately the charging base doesn't accept a 12 volt input. So a simpler anderson power pole cable isn't an option. I did see a TYT base that is compatible that can accept 12 volts But a direct connection to the radio would be nice. I like the fact that my FT-60r and FT-250r can accept a direct connection or through the charing base. I also wasn't aware of the AA back. I looked that up and it has a huge fail in my book. It includes a dummy AA for when you are running alkalines. If you run 6 1.5 volt AA's the radio wont transmit. So you need to use the dummy. The dummy is just one more thing to lose. My Yaesu HT's have a wide enough input voltage range that I can run any AA's without issue. So I still don't trust a BaoFeng as an emergency radio. But if you can't afford something better a BaoFeng is better than nothing.

Another point in favor of the FT-60. It can handle up to 16 volts. So it should be possible to connect that directly to a solar panel. I have a lower wattage folding solar panel I may have to to try that with.

As I said before; the only real feature my BaoFengs have that my other's don't is reception of the FM broadcast band. But there are high quality HT's that offer that. Transmitting outside of the ham bands might be useful in an emergency and is permitted by the FCC in a genuine emergency. Most of the time however it's not a capability I have any use for.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:46 am

Quick update:
Radio is still functioning well, I am really liking the battery life, just based on periodic scanning it lasts a long time.

Looks like I will have to skip the test this weekend, work is getting in the way.

stilagrrl
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omega Man

Post by stilagrrl » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:39 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:Unfortunately the charging base doesn't accept a 12 volt input. So a simpler anderson power pole cable isn't an option. I did see a TYT base that is compatible that can accept 12 volts But a direct connection to the radio would be nice.
Or you can do what I did and cut the wire between the transformer and the base connector and insert power poles. I then put a 12v to 10v step down circuit inline between the 12v source and another set of power poles. So, when I want to charge from AC, I just use the wall wart as normal. If I want to charge from a 12v source, I remove the transformer side of the wire at the power poles and then plug the base side of the power poles into the wire with the step down circuit. Yes, I know that if you keep the input power below around 13.4v, you can charge from the base without the step down circuit, but my 12v sources are often as high as 14+v.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:19 am

Picked up a 8hp

Several contacts described signal quality as much lower that the uv5r I directly compared it to
Reduced dtmf
Volume/quality "pops" in and out

Power is worth sacrificing clarity

It's going back
Funds will be diverted into a powersupply for a 2m mobile, and I'll make a pelican go box
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

.40isthenew.45 wrote:Quick update:
Radio is still functioning well, I am really liking the battery life, just based on periodic scanning it lasts a long time.

Looks like I will have to skip the test this weekend, work is getting in the way.
Finally went and took the test. I had studied for the Tech and passed it pretty easily. Since I was already there I went ahead and attempted the General test cold. I think if I had read ovyyer the material once I might have passed it.

So, I should have my license recorded in the next couple of days and can see if the radio actually transmits.

In the next couple of months, schedule permitting, I will study for the General and Extra tests and take them together.

73 <---- radio geek speak for "best regards."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:33 pm

.40isthenew.45 wrote:
.40isthenew.45 wrote:Quick update:

Finally went and took the test. I had studied for the Tech and passed it pretty easily. Since I was already there I went ahead and attempted the General test cold. I think if I had read ovyyer the material once I might have passed it.

So, I should have my license recorded in the next couple of days and can see if the radio actually transmits.

In the next couple of months, schedule permitting, I will study for the General and Extra tests and take them together.

73 <---- radio geek speak for "best regards."
Congrats on getting your Tech. I just signed up for a course for both tech and general 20-22nd. So hopefully I will be getting my general soon.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Fwiw I tried the bff8hp
That thing got returned,
Unstable squelch, worse signal quality, worse sensitivity

I could hit repeaters a good 6 miles farther, but my signal degraded faster than the uv5r
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Blacksheep wrote:Fwiw I tried the bff8hp
That thing got returned,
Unstable squelch, worse signal quality, worse sensitivity

I could hit repeaters a good 6 miles farther, but my signal degraded faster than the uv5r
Don't know if this helps but I came across this when researching Baofeng radios http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Squelch.php

It talks about changing the squelch in CHIRP

I changed my UV-82 to this, though since I am new and can't transmit I haven't noticed much change.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:15 am

The volume control on my first UV-5R has failed. It's basically on full volume or off so it's been relegated to motorcycle duty since I can control the volume via the bluetooth headset, while another UV-5R takes it's places on my backpack.

dhyde79

Post by dhyde79 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 am

sorry for necroposting, but, I'm actually contemplating jumping on a BF-F8HP currently, I've got a pair of the UV-5RAX+, one of which I'm pretty sure I've inadvertently broken the antenna connector loose inside the radio (if I hold it just right, it's perfect, otherwise, there's nothing at all, off of the NWS channels, which, obviously, should be fine)...

I'm considering the 8HP more for the "if radio traffic comes in it interrupts the FM radio" portion, as, I'm HOPING to get cleared to use the radio for work since, well, the kenwood radios we use at work are absolutely crap, and, for whatever reason, we've got one building on the unit that's almost directly under our repeater for the unit which radio traffic in or out of is a black hole, and, sometimes even outside of the building it's pretty janky...I'd like to resolve that matter, expediently, so, with a quick bit of looking I've found our repeater frequencies, and, can/will program them into whatever radio I get...the 8W power option does appeal since it might be a way of getting signal out better when I'm stuck back in that building....

for those of you that've gotten the 8HP, have you tried the squelch fix that's pretty well documented over on the chirp site? has it solved anything?

also, for those of you that had them and got rid of them, was that back when it was a gen2 board with the 1500mah battery or the new gen3 board with the 2100mah battery?

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:59 pm

dhyde79 wrote:
I'm considering the 8HP more for the "if radio traffic comes in it interrupts the FM radio" portion, as,
All of the UV series radios do that. Not just the HP.

dhyde79

Post by dhyde79 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:
dhyde79 wrote:
I'm considering the 8HP more for the "if radio traffic comes in it interrupts the FM radio" portion, as,
All of the UV series radios do that. Not just the HP.
My UV-5RAX+ never did...but, I grabbed a UV-82HP instead of the F8HP...excellent radio...I'm easily talking to repeaters north of Amarillo, TX from Canyon, TX...(I'd guess 25-30mi plus elevation change and shooting through a decently large city). Out of town I was hitting repeaters at 45-60mi depending on the repeater...

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Eh there may have been soemthing wrong with it.

I've got the 82HP as well and really like it. It's a bit more ergonomic than the 5R. I do like the 5Rs extended batteries as well. The 82HP is the only 82 I have the rest I have are 5Rs (5) and BF888s (4) and a single Wouxon KG-UV8D that I picked up for the cross band repeater feature.

I rarely use the 8 watt output on the 82 though but it is nice to have it there. I've done 2 98 mile simplex contacts from a ridge line over looking the desert using the basic UV-5Rs. Most of the battle with VHF/UHF radios is getting a good antenna as high as you can. Not necessarily the power aspect.

Return to “Communications”