Elmer question BaoFeng BF-F8HP vs UV-5R

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

.40isthenew.45

Elmer question BaoFeng BF-F8HP vs UV-5R

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 am

I am just starting to study for the technician test and beginning to look for a "starter" HT.

I see lots of recommendations for the uv-r5 and then when I go to search for one to buy I get multiple flavors of uv-r5 ( UV-5R V2+, UV5RA, UV5RE, UV5R+ ) and then I see the F8HP and think maybe 8 watts is a great feature for a HT that will see use in the mountains?

Then I realize as you probably have already guessed, that I am in over my head already and it's time to ask for help.

So if you are still reading we come to the question, Is the F8HP a better solution, and if not, what flavor of UV5R should I really be looking for?

Thanks in advance,
--Chris

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Re: Elmer question BaoFeng BF-F8HP vs UV-5R

Post by mystic_1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm a noob myself (not yet licensed) but in my limited experience lines-of-sight and antenna limitations are much bigger factors that absolute wattage, when it comes to a "starter HT that will see use in the mountains".

The HAMs in our chapter own between them several UV-5R in different flavors, consensus seems to be that it's a cheap effective unit for a lot of HT use cases. Your milage may vary.

If you're looking for an HT to use in rugged outdoor conditions, I'd be more looking for one that's rugged and waterproof, which the UV-5R isn't really.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 am

Being one of the aforementioned HAMs, I have several (6) of the UV-5R, and I have a good reason for it. It was what was out there for cheap when I started. (OK, the UV-3R is cheaper, but it lacked a keypad)
I have 6 cause there are 4 HAMs in the household, one is set up as a mobile in my car, and the last is attached to a simplex repeater.
The 5R works for me, and my family. Having one model of radio simplifies my life (being the one who keeps the programing up to date)
For you, I would look to see if CHIRPS supports the radio you are looking to get. The ease of programing with CHIRPS really can’t be understated. You just fill out a spread sheet of what you need, and the things you don’t have any idea what are, you leave alone.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Now that I am done rambling about my, to your question, more power is rarely a bad thing, but it isn’t the most important thing. As mystic mentioned output isn’t everything, the antenna is as important. Any of the models you listed should be a decent first HT.

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 am

It was my understanding that the F8HP was just the latest (okay almost latest) incarnation of the UV-5R with the addition of the third power setting and a better antenna out of the box. All the accessories etc are reported to be interchangeable with the UV-5R.

I should probably clear up the "mountain use" statement. It was more in relation to terrain and distance/availability of repeaters while exploring jeep trails, than a "I may drop this off a cliff and need it to still work when I find it at the bottom".

Chirp lists the BF-F8HP (in daily builds), does that mean almost but not quite yet?

I appreciate the feedback so far, but I am still not clear on what might be best for me. Let me phrase the question differently. "Is the additional wattage worth almost doubling the cost of the radio, or would the money be better spent on a something else?"

I will probably upgrade the antenna and also add a magnetic mount one to the jeep once I figure out what I will need to extend the range as much as possible with the HT. I am not ready to take the plunge for a dedicated mobile rig yet.

Thanks again,
--Chris

Jade_06

Post by Jade_06 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:21 pm

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the UV5R for $35. When I first got into Amature radio I spent a few hundred dollars only to get sick of hearing all the interference on the local repeaters and having the equipment sit for a few years until I got interested enough to dig the stuff out again .

A lot of people in my area are using these radios right now and they sound just as good as the name brand models. To be honest I might just order one from Amazon to try to get into Sat Comms .

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 pm

the F8HP loks to be a good bit of kit
http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_F8HP.php

for what it sounds like you will want you will need to add the programing cable, an external antinna, the little adaptor cable (from the HT to the antinna), a handheld mike, and battery elimanator.
all that is gonna run you about $62 (sourced from amazon)

then you are left deciding between a $33 radio and a $63 radio. if it was me, i would drop the extra $30.
Chirp lists the BF-F8HP (in daily builds), does that mean almost but not quite yet?
no, you can down load and run the program, but there might be undescovered bugs. my understanding is that it denotes that it is still a work in progress.

rpc

Post by rpc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:25 pm

On my website and blog, I have some information about the UV-5R that might be helpful:

http://onetuberadio.com/category/baofeng-uv-5r/
http://www.w0is.com/miscpages/Cheap70CMHT.html

I have one of the UV-5R's. I'm not familiar with the other model. I don't think there's too much difference between the different "flavors" of UV-5R, so I would probably shop by price, unless there's one particular feature you're looking for.

The UV-5R is an exceptionally good value for about $40 (you really need the programming cable, so be sure to pay the $5 for it). I've had quite a bit of fun with mine, as you can see from my blog. However, I consider mine to be a "disposable" radio. When it eventually breaks (perhaps from me dropping it), I won't consider it a big loss.

It's a good radio, but I would NOT recommend it to someone as their first radio or only radio. It does have a few downsides you should be aware of. First of all, it is relatively hard to program. I had mine on the air within minutes by using the VFO and with just barely consulting the manual. But the guy I worked had one himself, and he was amazed that I was able to use it without studying the programming software. I did eventually program it, but it wasn't particularly easy, and it would be kind of a pain to operate it routinely without first programming it.

The second thing is that the receiver is very easily overloaded. That means that it works great with the included antenna. By "great," I mean as well as any other handheld. If I hook it to my outdoor antenna, which is only up 20 feet, the receiver becomes almost totally unusable, since it gets overloaded by the other VHF signals present in a suburban neighborhood. This seems reasonable, since the receiver has such a wide coverage. This isn't an issue with the "rubber duck" antenna (because the incoming signals are so much weaker), and it wouldn't be an issue in the middle of nowhere, where there isn't a lot of RF floating around. It might not be a big issue with a small mobile antenna, but I've never tried it. But even with a 5/8 wave mobile antenna on top of my car, the receiver sensitivity was way down. And it might be pretty bad in a downtown area even with the rubber duck, but I haven't tried it. It sounds like for your application, that might not be an issue, but you should be aware of it.

The final issue is that it will transmit on any frequency. This is often billed as a positive, but IMHO, it's a negative. You have to be extremely careful. If you sit on the mike button and you're transmitting on a ham band, it's really not a big deal. If you sit on the mike button and you're transmitting on the sheriff's frequency, then you might have some 'splainin to do down at the station. At the very least, you need to be aware of this issue. (The easiest way to deal with it, if you use only channels that you program, is to program a frequency in the ham bands, low power, for transmit, when you program other receive channels.)

For these reasons, for newbies, I would recommend whatever is the cheapest offering from Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood. They generally won't have these three issues. I'm not sure what the current prices are, but they often start at just over $100. If you do decide to go with the Baofeng or other similar radio from China, be aware of these shortcomings. If you are, you can still have a lot of fun with them, but you do need to be aware.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:34 pm

"Is the additional wattage worth almost doubling the cost of the radio, or would the money be better spent on a something else?"

The additional wattage is not worth the cost.

A better antenna - almost any for that matter, would be a better use of the delta in cost.

More watts = shorter battery life
More watts does not mean more range
More watts - radio heats faster (it's FM after all)

Better antenna = typically better range, all things being equal
better antenna = better reception, which is a factor in total useful range of radio

I looked at these when they came out and passed - just too many "quality" issues. Many are happy with their choice of Chinaradio (pick your brand), just the same my last purchase was a used Yaesu (from the board here of all things). If nothing else, I know I can let this cold soak in das auto and it will still work - no small thing here in Alaska.

I posted this in 2013 -
Last winter, it got cold - like -20F cold.
By way of experiment, I put a vintage IC-2AT (the one with the thumbwheels on the top) in a plastic Otter box and left it to sit out for a few days, in the shade.
Brought back inside, is was cold enough to require gloves to handle. I turned it on (the switch was quite stiff, BTW) and did a quick radio check. I could talk/hear another 2M rig with no problems at all.
If the radio had a CTCSS unit, I would still be using it today as a primary HT.

I use an older IC-T7H as my primary V/UHF rig. It stays in the car, inside an Otter box. Even cold soaked, it has never failed to perform.

BTW _ purchased the IC2AT radio in 1979....and it still works the treat today.

I don't mind spending money on a quality unit, because in the long run, it almost always costs less to own.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Redbad

Post by Redbad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 am

Everything else being equal, I would purchase the UV-5R and then purchase a higher gain antenna and the higher capacity -- 3800ma -- battery. Also get the programming cable. If I am not mistaken, you will spend less for the UV-5R, high gain antenna, higher capacity extra battery, and programming cable than you would for just the UV-F8HP.

To repeat what others have said, a higher gain antenna (one that is longer than the stock antenna) will give you better performance than will higher power.

I have had a UV-5R for the last 3 years or so and I have been very happy with it. If you can learn to program a UV-5R by hand, you can probably program any HT radio...

As others have said, there are better, more bullet proof HT radios out there. The UV-5R, like many FRS/GMRS radios at its price point, is a disposable radio, meaning that you will not shed many tears if the radio gets wet, dropped off of a cliff, or is otherwise destroyed. If you need a radio that will survive extreme conditions then you should plan on paying several times what a UV-5R costs.

Good luck!
KD8EIB

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the F8-HP.

I figure I can always turn it down to 4 watts but can't turn the UV5R up to 8.

It should get here Wednesday and I can start programming and listening. I don't take the test until the 13th of December, so no transmissions until sometime after that.

I will post an initial review and an updated one after I am able to use it a while.

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:30 am

The new radio arrived. I will attempt to give a narrative of my experiences with it for those who are considering getting a HT (that's ham talk for handy talkie, what the rest of us call a walkie talkie).

Unboxing was a strange feeling, buyers remorse set in almost immediately. I had expectations of a larger antenna based on the marketing. When I went back and reread the literature, sure enough it said 7” antenna and mentioned that was an upgrade from the "old" antenna. Pulled out the tape and sure enough from the tip of the antenna to the bottom of the threads was 6 3/4ths inches which translates to 7” in marketing materials. So okay, I got what I was supposed to. Two lessons to be learned here. 1)manage your expectations and 2) when the ELMERs tell you to get a better antenna to start, they actually do know what they are talking about.

So, now its time to charge the radio. The manual says to let it charge 5 to 6 hours before you use the radio. Plenty of time to read the manual (ADD kicked in and I just skimmed it). The manual is making more sense as I go forward and it seems to be a good reference for finding out how to do whatever it is you are trying to do. I am studying for the Technician license, but even that studying doesn't give me the frame of reference needed to appreciate the info in the manual. Definitely a case of I don't know what I don't know.

I also used the charging time to download the daily build of CHIRP which supports the F8-HP, and the drivers required for the programming cable. ( I should note that the cable did come with a cd, but I used windows update to find the latest driver for it instead). Installation was pretty straight forward and I didn't hit any roadblocks.

Great now I can get my programming all set up while I wait for the battery to finish charging. Not so fast there turbo, the first step (according to the software) is to download the base configuration from your radio. Okay, I so played around with the software to become familiar with how to import information and set up the programming but that was about it.

The battery indicator on the charging base showed fully charged after about 4 hours, so it was time to play. Started chirp, connected the programming cable and turned on the radio. So far so good. Tried to download the base configuration, and got an error that it couldn't connect to the radio, Huh? Using tried and true technical evaluation skills, I checked the plug on the cabled, sure enough it wasn't seated completely in the radio plug. (you have to push really hard the first time). Correctly connected the cable and tried the download again. SUCCESS! Great, now I imported the list of 4 or 5 repeaters for my county from the “repeaterbook” data source in the software. Turned off the radio and disconnected from the programming cable. First programming session seemed pretty painless.

So now I can turn on the radio and hear all the neat stuff going on around the county. Turned on the radio, hit the mode button to get to channel mode and sure enough there are my repeater channels being displayed. (Note: they are listed on the display by frequency rather than the “name” that I saw in CHIRP, not sure yet if that is a bug, or just the way it works) Hit the scan button and NOTHING. It cycled through the channels but I heard nothing. See lesson 1 above. Okay, is this thing really working? I went back to chirp and downloaded repeaters for all the counties around mine. Still nothing. Did I get a bad radio? I know, lets add the NOAA Weather channels. Cool now I can hear the weather but I am not getting anything else. I haven't got my license yet so I can't transmit to see if anyone can hear me or if I can activate the repeater (I would need to look up how to do that anyway).

So back to the internet I go. Are there any NETS scheduled for today on the repeaters I could listen to? Sure enough, at 1930 there is State FM RACES/ EOC Net (Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service) surely someone will be on that talking. I set the alarm on my phone and find something else to occupy my time until it's time for the net. Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock. Okay net time is finally hear, turn on the radio, try to enter the frequency and it wont take the input. I finally realize I am in channel mode not frequency mode, make the change and enter the frequency. And..... Nothing, not talking at all. Have I just purchased a cool weather alert radio? Okay back to channel mode and scan......

What's that? Voices? Not a weather report? COOL! Three people talking about someone buying a new car and its a pretty blue... No call signs, no “whatever it was I was expecting”. See lesson 1 again.

Okay enough for day one.
Day two dawns and I turn on the radio to channel scan while drinking my coffee. Got the weather report, and then two guys talking about what radio to use in the cave. Again no call signs no whatever.

Let's pause from the narrative for a minute for me to say, although it may not be obvious at this point, I am happy with the radio. I think it is doing everything it should, but I have a lot to learn. I was hoping for enough traffic that I could listen and learn protocol etc as well as identify which repeaters carry traffic that is of interest to me. Obviously with a HT on the 2M band I wasn't expecting to hear people from around the world but I did expect more traffic than I am finding. Hopefully if someone is still reading that knows more than I do (okay that will probably be anyone that is still reading) they will offer some pointers on things I can do in RX mode to keep me interested for the next month until I take the test. One last observation, as I have been carrying the radio around the house, it feels VERY LIGHT and is a very small form factor. Not such a big deal around the house, but for the weight weenie backpacker types it is a good thing. 7.1 oz (201g)

Today I plan to leave the radio on in scan mode (you can never get too much weather info) to see how long the battery lasts. I just have the standard 1800 Mah battery. The manual says it doesn't reach full performance for 3 to 4 charge cycles.

Sorry for the novelette, but this is the kind of stuff I wish I had found beforehand. If for no other reason that to manage lesson 1.

Edit: heard my first transmission with a call sign while I was typing this, and the high today is also supposed to be 49. :)

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 am

(Note: they are listed on the display by frequency rather than the “name” that I saw in CHIRP, not sure yet if that is a bug, or just the way it works)
there is a setting in CHIRPs to display the frequency, or the name (if the radio supports this fuction) if i remember correctly, there are a couple of tabs on the left hand side of the CHIRP window. the second down one has options like what to display.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 am

There is a site
Mikor I think
It has a extensive and detailed users guide to the uv5r and would work for the hp since it's the same menu

After going over that site, I can program the uv5r in my sleep, I really don't see why everyone bitches about it :?:

I'm thinking about getting one of the hp models, since I already have 2 of the 5rs and good antennas
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Emclean, thanks for your post-purchase post. Very informative.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:15 pm

emclean wrote:
(Note: they are listed on the display by frequency rather than the “name” that I saw in CHIRP, not sure yet if that is a bug, or just the way it works)
there is a setting in CHIRPs to display the frequency, or the name (if the radio supports this fuction) if i remember correctly, there are a couple of tabs on the left hand side of the CHIRP window. the second down one has options like what to display.

That setting is on the radio itself

It let's you select between a mode and b mode,
I use a mode in names, and b mode in freqs

I'll find the exact menu number when I get back to my truck

Edit
It's setting 21 and 22 in the menu
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:20 am

I have a couple of quick updates.

First, Thanks for the feedback so far, I found the option in chirp to change the display to name instead of frequency. Now that I have done it, I am not sure I like it better than just frequency. So I left A on frequency and B on name.

I tried a couple of times to determine how long the radio would last, just scanning the frequencies I already put in for the repeaters in surrounding counties. I didn't change anything to try and make it run longer (although I saw somewhere there are a couple of things you can set if you want to save as much battery as possible). The first time was a 12+ hours when I went to bed and had stopped by the time I got back to the radio. Second attempt I started when I went to bed and was at 16 hours of so by the time I got distracted and stopped by the time I remembered to check again at 18 hours. So I am going to offer a conservative estimate of 16 hours scanning. I should mention that I had the NOAA channels in the list so I was sure to stop, light up the display and run the speaker at least once or twice during each round of "scanning".

I am still liking the radio, but am starting to look for more receive only things to do with it until I can take the test and begin transmitting.

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 pm

for run times you can listen to FM radio stations (at least the 5R's can) that would give you minuim receve time.
transmiting is what sucks up battery power.

orion

Post by orion » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:02 pm

.40isthenew.45 wrote:/snip

I am still liking the radio, but am starting to look for more receive only things to do with it until I can take the test and begin transmitting.
Depending on where you are, there are plenty of receive only things you might be able to do. (I'm a new licensee myself, and still do a great deal more listening than transmitting.)

One thing you may want to search for would be listings of scanner frequencies, assuming your radio can receive those channels. Though the state and large city agencies near me are using trunked systems, most of the local police/fire/EMS agencies near home and along my commute still use regular ol' UHF. Having those programmed into memory at least gets me some traffic when the local repeaters are quiet, along with useful info on things that might be going on in the area right now but not making the news anywhere.

As for the repeaters, the best advice I can give from my limited experience is to see if any of them host regular nets. The ARRL site and a few local club pages have given me a good starting point there, though I've found that a few of them seem to be on the air a lot less regularly than scheduled. If you can listen in to a few of those, even if you aren't interested in the subject at hand, you'll still get a taste for the operating customs in your area. Other than that, just be patient, keep monitoring and maybe take notes on the traffic you do hear. That will be your best way to tell which ones might have more traffic (like a group of "regulars" talking through their commute) that could provide you the chance to reach out and touch someone when you're legal to press the button.

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Congratulations on your purchase. Baofeng makes a nice little unit, I have one and also several other radios since I got my ticket. The nice thing about the Baufeng is it's cheap and relatively easy to program once you get used to it. That's a hint that ALL radios have their own quirks and programming needs. Just remember, it is what it is. Don't expect it to survive any time in water or many drops and still function. That being the case, it's not going to be a crying matter if it does give up the ghost on you, they aren't too much strain on the wallet to replace unlike some other brands.

NJMike

Post by NJMike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Coincidentally I was shopping around for my first equipment, heard good things about the Baofeng UV-5R, and made some purchases. Recently arrived are a BF-F8HP with an upgrade antenna, and a pair of Baofeng UV-5R V2+ with accessories (handheld 2way speaker, software+programming cable, 2 DC adapters). This is just my starting equipment and I have plans to expand as I learn more. I plan to keep a UV-5R V2+ in each vehicle within shielded containers, and use the BF-F8HP more regularly to learn.

Based on information from this topic, I'll be picking up some upgrade batteries next. Sent some thanks around to folks with the extra links and info. It's greatly appreciated. :D

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 am

*EDIT*

I didn't bother to read through the thread before jumping in and commenting. I should have done that first. I didn't realize that the OP had already ordered a radio. Anywhere, here is what I had posted.

I own a UV-5r and the newer UV-82. I honestly wouldn't recommend BaoFeng HT's as a first radio. It's best to start with something sturdier. The Yaesu FT-60 is a great choice. It's pretty rugged. I have dropped mine more than once and it still works great. Although it isn't advertised at water resistant; I haven't had any problems with it in light rain. I don't know if it would survive a serious downpour. If you absolutely can't afford and FT-60 then I would get the UV-82 over the UV-5r. I dropped my UV-5r and the battery popped out. Now I need to use duct tape to hold the battery in. The UV-82's battery retention system is much better designed. I wouldn't bother with the 8 watt model for now. You can do quite a bit with 4 or 5 watts. I would focus on a good solid radio first. You can worry about power output later. If you go with a BaoFeng then save up your money to get something good and sturdy. I don't trust the BaoFeng's for disasters. They aren't sturdy enough. can't be charged off 12 volts, and don't have AA holders. Both my FT-60r and FT-250r are rugged, can be charged off 12 volts (direct or through the charging base), and I have an AA holder for them. Thankfully they use the same battery! So I have two rechargeable and an AA holder that works off both radios. The only real feature the BaoFeng's have that my Yaesu don't is coverage of the FM broadcast band. I like listening to the radio and it can be very handy in a disaster. If the FT-60 had FM broadcast band coverage it would be damn near perfect. So my UV-82 is my EDC radio for when it's not raining. In a Bugout Bag I would carry the FT-60 over the BaoFeng.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

emclean
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 am

I have dropped mine more than once and it still works great. Although it isn't advertised at water resistant; I haven't had any problems with it in light rain.
both true of my UV-5R. my first one has been through 2 years of cub scout camp, and is still going strong. (well as strong as it ever was)
can't be charged off 12 volts, and don't have AA holders
sure you can. there are cables for car charging, or you can go for a battery elimanator if you are going to be uesing it in your car all the time.
there are backs to use AA batteries around.

one of the things that makes the baofengs nice for prepping is that for the same cost as a Yaesu FT-60, i can get 4 or 5. so i can easly afford to have extra on hand. i do not worry about my EDC HT gtting lost or stolen.

.40isthenew.45

Post by .40isthenew.45 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:39 am

I appreciate all the comments and feedback so far.

Not much has happened with the radio of note. Still studying for the test in about a week.

I did hear someone from Alaska talking to someone from Simferopol, Crimea. I thought that was strange on one of our local 70cm repeaters..... Really good signal from them both and then they just stopped mid conversation.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:56 pm

.40isthenew.45 wrote:I appreciate all the comments and feedback so far.

Not much has happened with the radio of note. Still studying for the test in about a week.

I did hear someone from Alaska talking to someone from Simferopol, Crimea. I thought that was strange on one of our local 70cm repeaters..... Really good signal from them both and then they just stopped mid conversation.
They were probably using IRLP or Echolink. Those are systems that use the internet. With IRLP there has to be radio involved; with Echolink you can be done completely over the internet. With IRLP it goes like this: Radio --> repeater --> internet --> repeater somewhere else --> radio.

Good luck on the test!

Jennifer
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Return to “Communications”