Which reciever allows listening to all there is out there?

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Re: Which reciever allows listening to all there is out ther

Post by Slugg » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am

I used a baofeng to lurk prior to getting my license. I just never transmitted, only received. It is what motivated me to get my license, because I would hear a conversation I'd love to ask a question about or give my input. To me, it was the best christmas gift that year because it gave me more than just a radio, it gave me motivation to study.
The future is for those who prepare.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:49 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
roscoe wrote:I know that it is not cheap ($300ish), but the Kenwood THF6A receives everything from 0.01to 1300 MHz FM (cell is blocked out), plus airband AM and comercial AM. If you don't have a license, don't transmit, but for the weight and size, it seems to be about as good as you can get. I don't own one, but I am sure it scans like any HAM radio.
It's not really a bad choice, but at that price point ($404 list, avg $325 retail) you could do a lot better. Its biggest drawback is the antenna. While you can swap out the stock FM antenna, you can't do anything for AM, since that uses an internal ferrite bar antenna. Oh, and the FCC tends to consider mere possession as prima facie evidence of use (eg: if you have a CB and they inspect your station and find a linear in the closet, not hooked up, they treat it exactly the same as if they caught you in the act of using it), so there's a possibility (very, very remote I agree) of someone who is unlicensed getting into trouble just having it.
True, but what else that you can carry in your hand as a single unit can receive as much for fewer dollars? It is pretty compact, and for FM, any radio with receiving range of over 1000 MHZ will have some sort of antenna issue.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:18 am

Back before all the new hotness, below is what the .mil used for multi-band communications. The new stuff replaces all of that, but still not with any one radio, just fewer.

AN/GRC-206 pallet

That's not to say the radios used are the best, just an example of what it takes to cover the many bands and modulations. You can build something similar for a fraction of the cost, and of course, without the COMSEC boxes. Granted, the design is for Tx/Rx, but I don't see much point in being set up for Rx only. Just don't transmit until you are licensed to do so.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:22 am

Tagged for future monitoring
Boldly going nowhere

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:28 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:..but I don't see much point in being set up for Rx only.
Because listening and gathering information are vital components of situational awareness, and 9 times out of 10 good situational awareness is what's going to keep you from getting dead.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:40 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
MaconCJ7 wrote:..but I don't see much point in being set up for Rx only.
Because listening and gathering information are vital components of situational awareness, and 9 times out of 10 good situational awareness is what's going to keep you from getting dead.
And if RX is affordable but TX isn't or you have kids that like to play with grown up toys when no one's looking...

Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks. And so on and so on and Scooby Dooby Doo. :awesome:

Having said that, I'm with you and like TX capability as well. :)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:18 am

MaconCJ7 wrote: but I don't see much point in being set up for Rx only. Just don't transmit until you are licensed to do so.
Well, there's several good reasons:

#1. You watch TV without having a TV transmission tower or satcom transmitter in your home.
#2. You listen to AM/FM radio without having a broadcast radio tower in your home.
#3. You almost certainly have a NOAA weather alert receiver in your house without having a NOAA transmitter station.

But most practically,
#4. You can get a shortwave/AM/FM/SSB/Whatever high-quality receiver for under $200, whereas a basic all-band HF/VHF transceiver setup will cost you about a thousand dollars new. And given that the OP said he only has a passing interest in radio, I think advocating that he spend $1000 to do something he doesnt want to is probably not in his best interest.

Just to keep this on-topic: I've had a Radio Shack DX-398 sitting on my desk for the last 15 years. It is a rebranded Sangean ATS-909. It is a superb radio. If it died tomorrow, I'd replace it with the new Sangean ATS-909X without a second thought. It does absolutely everything I want a receive only radio to do.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:36 am

The ICOM R-20 is one of the few handhelds that does SSB.
The IC-R20 covers 150kHz to 3304.999MHz (less cell band) in SSB, CW, AM, FM and WFM modes. This covers AM/FM radio and TV broadcasts, wireless communications for boaters, aviation, conventional public safety and many other commercial services. TV sound and video is now digital in the US, so no value there.

I see some R20 listed on Amazon for $545. A new and not much larger 909x runs just about $200.
A used Icom R 2 covers Dc to daylight in AM/FM and FM wide and can be had on Flea bay from time to time at good prices. For a general coverage radio that's small, hard to beat. The R5 and R6 have the same form factor / coverage and cost a bit more, being newer units.

Much of the US public Service band has gone or is going digital as are business radios due to FCC mandated bandwidth limits. I dropped a few hundred ducats on a P-25 trunking capable radio only to have the EssoBees (A petroleum company?) encrypt all but the fire dispatch channel, and I suspect that will be encrypted too soon as well. You know, for your safety/

I haven't seen any reports of HF gong "digital" past the services already offered. Investing a lot of dough to listen above 60 Mhz is rapidly becoming (mostly) a waste of your money, at least in North America. A cheap/used scanner will hear everything that's left to hear.
Last edited by TacAir on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:25 pm

TacAir wrote:The ICOM R-20 is one of the few handhelds that does SSB.
The IC-R20 covers 150kHz to 3304.999MHz (less cell band) in SSB, CW, AM, FM and WFM modes. This covers AM/FM radio and TV broadcasts, wireless communications for boaters, aviation, conventional public safety and many other commercial services. TV sound and video is now digital in the US, so no value there.

I see some R20 listed on Amazon for $545. A new and not much larger 909x runs just about $200.
A used Icom R 2 covers Dc to daylight in AM/FM and FM wide and can be had on Flea bay from time to time at good prices. For a general coverage radio that's small, hard to bear. The R5 and R6 have the same form factor / coverage and cost a bit more, being newer units.

Much of the US public Service band has gone or is going digital as are business radios due to FCC mandated bandwidth limits. I dropped a few hundred ducats on a P-25 trunking capable radio only to have the EssoBees (A petroleum company?) encrypt all but the fire dispatch channel, and I suspect that will be encrypted too soon as well. You know, for your safety/

I haven't seen any reports of HF gong "digital" past the services already offered. Investing a lot of dough to listen above 60 Mhz is rapidly becoming (mostly) a waste of your money, at least in North America. A cheap/used scanner will hear everything that's left to hear.
I'm sold - I change my vote to the IC-R20.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:49 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:Back before all the new hotness, below is what the .mil used for multi-band communications. The new stuff replaces all of that, but still not with any one radio, just fewer.

AN/GRC-206 pallet

That's not to say the radios used are the best, just an example of what it takes to cover the many bands and modulations. You can build something similar for a fraction of the cost, and of course, without the COMSEC boxes. Granted, the design is for Tx/Rx, but I don't see much point in being set up for Rx only. Just don't transmit until you are licensed to do so.
Real tactical radios need a Jeep. And dials and switches, no push-buttons....

They've been around for a while...

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 am

TacAir wrote:Image
They've been around for a while...
Is it bad when the radios are updated more often than the refuelers?

The first radio I was fully qualified to operate and repair was the PRC-77. Part of the PMI's was to listen to TV on it, as a check of receiver functionality.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Damn that's a sexy Jeep.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Damn that's a sexy Jeep.
The M151 was/is a death trap. Still, off road is did pretty good.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm

good post
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Return to “Communications”