Painting antennas

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Painting antennas

Post by medic photog » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 pm

Just picked up an Arrow Antenna portable Yagi for 2M and 70cm. I'm thinking about painting the boom matte black, subdue it a bit. Any reason why I should not do this?

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Painting antennas

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Do the instructions that came with the antenna say you can/should paint it? If not, that's the biggest reason not to. If, however, it doesn't expressly prohibit it, I would contact the manufacturer and double check/see what paint they recommend.

Source. It's #1 on the list.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8017
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

medic photog wrote:Just picked up an Arrow Antenna portable Yagi for 2M and 70cm. I'm thinking about painting the boom matte black, subdue it a bit. Any reason why I should not do this?
None, just check to see what is in the paint, you wouldn't want to melt the coax..... BTW, I use flat camo gray, ever harder to see than black.

Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: Painting antennas

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Paint away. Just don't use metal flake, or any primer that uses metals as a bonding agent.
Image

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by medic photog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:26 am

Rustoleum matte black was the paint,of choice and it worked like a charm. Just taped out the coax lead connectors and had at it.

Shok
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Lethal Weapon 3
Location: Iowa

Re: Painting antennas

Post by Shok » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

I did one in light gray which worked real good in gloomy winter skies. I have another that I did light gray with a few cotton balls of light blue. Enamel is what I used.

Breaking up solid colors help.

Shok
NRA Life Member
ARRL Member

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by medic photog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Shok wrote:I did one in light gray which worked real good in gloomy winter skies. I have another that I did light gray with a few cotton balls of light blue. Enamel is what I used.

Breaking up solid colors help.

Shok
This Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 covers 2M and 70CM with a duplexer built in and a two piece boom. The boom is/was silver and the other parts were arrow shafts, nice mix of blues, blacks, and reds. I just wanted to tone down the boom so I put it together, taped off the coax couplers and joint areas and hot the boom with a matte black Rustoleum (it was here so what the heck). Looks better to me, works the same so it's a win win.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8017
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 pm

medic photog wrote:
Shok wrote:I did one in light gray which worked real good in gloomy winter skies. I have another that I did light gray with a few cotton balls of light blue. Enamel is what I used.

Breaking up solid colors help.

Shok
This Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 covers 2M and 70CM with a duplexer built in and a two piece boom. The boom is/was silver and the other parts were arrow shafts, nice mix of blues, blacks, and reds. I just wanted to tone down the boom so I put it together, taped off the coax couplers and joint areas and hot the boom with a matte black Rustoleum (it was here so what the heck). Looks better to me, works the same so it's a win win.
I have the same antenna in a one piece boom. Going to work Oscars? It works the wonder for satcom, even this far north.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by medic photog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 am

TacAir wrote:
medic photog wrote:
Shok wrote:I did one in light gray which worked real good in gloomy winter skies. I have another that I did light gray with a few cotton balls of light blue. Enamel is what I used.

Breaking up solid colors help.

Shok
This Arrow Antenna 146/437-10 covers 2M and 70CM with a duplexer built in and a two piece boom. The boom is/was silver and the other parts were arrow shafts, nice mix of blues, blacks, and reds. I just wanted to tone down the boom so I put it together, taped off the coax couplers and joint areas and hot the boom with a matte black Rustoleum (it was here so what the heck). Looks better to me, works the same so it's a win win.
I have the same antenna in a one piece boom. Going to work Oscars? It works the wonder for satcom, even this far north.
This sure is a fine antenna and the price was right too. I also picked up one of their OSJ146/440 "J" poles for base use and can't be happier. I'm sure I'll be grabbing their GP52 6 meter too.

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Painting antennas

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 pm

TacAir wrote:
medic photog wrote:Just picked up an Arrow Antenna portable Yagi for 2M and 70cm. I'm thinking about painting the boom matte black, subdue it a bit. Any reason why I should not do this?
None, just check to see what is in the paint, you wouldn't want to melt the coax..... BTW, I use flat camo gray, ever harder to see than black.

Good luck.
I've been sitting here going, "I know I can be, and often am, wrong but how did I get it this wrong?" when I finally caught the emphasis added. I think the deep freeze weather has frozen my brain. :crazy:

Thanks for the correction. :)

I stand by what I said when it comes to antennas proper, though. I would really rather err on the side of caution until I've got some experience under my belt and can afford to replace what I screwed up.

medic photog
* * *
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 pm
Location: PA
Contact:

Re: Painting antennas

Post by medic photog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Tater Raider wrote:
TacAir wrote:
medic photog wrote:Just picked up an Arrow Antenna portable Yagi for 2M and 70cm. I'm thinking about painting the boom matte black, subdue it a bit. Any reason why I should not do this?
None, just check to see what is in the paint, you wouldn't want to melt the coax..... BTW, I use flat camo gray, ever harder to see than black.

Good luck.
I've been sitting here going, "I know I can be, and often am, wrong but how did I get it this wrong?" when I finally caught the emphasis added. I think the deep freeze weather has frozen my brain. :crazy:

Thanks for the correction. :)

I stand by what I said when it comes to antennas proper, though. I would really rather err on the side of caution until I've got some experience under my belt and can afford to replace what I screwed up.
Not to worry, you're fine. I can see where you were confused. I agree, I don't want to buy the same thing twice because I screwed up the first one. It is pretty bitchin now that it's subdued. I'm sure one of my hammerhead buddies will walk into it and give me the excuse they couldn't see it cause it's painted black.

Post Reply

Return to “Communications”