CB ibstallation in/around st louis

Topics on Radio (CB, GMRS, Ham, etc), GPS, Smoke Signals, or whatever else you can use to talk to other people who are not within yelling distance.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Re: CB ibstallation in/around st louis

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:21 am

CitizenZ wrote:Radios with SSB, like the Cobra 148, have more than twice the range of regular CB's. Due to efficiencies in transmitting and receiving. People on SSB are usually a lot more reasonable and less assholes as well. SSB channels are usually the higher numbers while the high power retards are mostly on the lower channels.
I dunno CZ, I've talked at 1KW and 500W on both high and low channels. Granted I was likely violating many FCC regs while doing so, but when a General is telling you that your equipment is the problem, truckers making conversation with you will typically settle the argument. I'm just asking that you don't use the "asshole" classification so broadly, as the few are usually the loud.

Shok
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Lethal Weapon 3

Post by Shok » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm

CitizenZ wrote:Radios with SSB, like the Cobra 148, have more than twice the range of regular CB's. Due to efficiencies in transmitting and receiving. People on SSB are usually a lot more reasonable and less assholes as well. SSB channels are usually the higher numbers while the high power retards are mostly on the lower channels.

Truth
NRA Life Member
ARRL Member

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:I've talked at 1KW and 500W on both high and low channels. Granted I was likely violating many FCC regs while doing so...
FYI, 5w PEP limit on Citizen's Band. Just putting that information out there. :)

ProstheticWeasel wrote:Not to be a thread jacker but is there much of a difference in performance of different makes and models of cb? When I looked at them I just looked for the features I wanted. Like meters, ability to scan, weather radio, pa hookup, ssb etc.
Features are the difference between models and reputation is the difference with manufacturers. They all put out the <5w and there's only so much you can do with that in heavy radio traffic, which is another plus for a CB with SSB.

Like mobile ham, the antenna location is going to be the main thing followed by feed line losses and the antenna itself as far as performance goes.

Return to “Communications”