DIY Hidden Fish Raising Pond

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 pm

I am currently Working on a Hand dug fish raising pond that i have hidden in the woods on my property .
It is a labor of love that has been going on now for months and months
I plan on having this pond be as self sufficient as possible . I am working on getting pond plants and a few beneficial items for the pond
Eventually I would like to have this pond going by itself and not need regular tending except the basics IE Harvesting of fish , Duckweed and maybe some aquaponics type stuff
It is not finished yet but i figured I would show you guys if your interested

starting my secret fish pond by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr
P1130686 by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr
P1130684 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/peopl
P1130678 by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr

P1130676 by PatriotSurvival, on Flickr

PART 2 Video

Part 3
I have A few Videos On this project as well but I cant get them to Show in the Thread for some reason
Anyone know how to post a vid in the thread ?
Last edited by PatriotSurvival on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.

benja455

Post by benja455 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:38 pm

May I ask how you are planning to make this pond self-sufficient?

Grey Mann

Re: DIY Hidden Fish Raising Pond

Post by Grey Mann » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Since it's not naturally occurring...how are you going to keep it filled with water?
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm

I regularly Drain Hundreds Of Gallons from this Pond Monthly to water Plants around the house, the garden
And I replace with Well water and i have been working on a Large Surface area Rain water Catchment system That Drains Directly into the pond

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Impressive for hand digging. Tagged for future progress.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:50 pm

What's the purpose to the tires around the perimeter?
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

flanker71

Post by flanker71 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm

I too have a man made/naturally fed pond. I would love to stock it with fish but have been told small ponds need either sizable water rotation or mechanical filtering to keep stock alive. How do you plan to manage that aspect of it?

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Really good effort, but I have to ask, is this something where you may have been better off renting a bobcat or excavator for a weekend and using it all around said property. Although it's usually better to put some sweat equity in, sometimes, spending a little bit of coin to speed up a project, or multiple projects yourself, is of greater benefit.

How many gallons is that pond going to be? We're thinking about doing something similar by 'damming up' one of the run off creeks that's cut a nice little chasm\canyon on the edge of our property... May even make it into a combination fish pond\swimming hole.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

OCR
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZOMBIE LAND, BLACK SHEEP, SHAWN OF THE DEAD

Post by OCR » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:33 pm

IceWing wrote: We're thinking about doing something similar by 'damming up' one of the run off creeks that's cut a nice little chasm\canyon on the edge of our property... May even make it into a combination fish pond\swimming hole.

Ice
I would be carful about damming the creek. First fallow the creek to see what all will be affected by your damming of the water causing rising water levels. You might even be able to build a hydro generator off the damm. Ofcourse, that would depend on the rate in wich the water is flowing already. Also, make shure the pond drains back into the creek. Never know if someone else way down stream already has done the same thing and you just cut off there water supply.
What is LIFE you ask? Well LIFE is that thing that takes a BIG FAT DUMP on all your HOPES and DREAMS. That is what LIFE is.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:19 pm

OCR wrote:
IceWing wrote: We're thinking about doing something similar by 'damming up' one of the run off creeks that's cut a nice little chasm\canyon on the edge of our property... May even make it into a combination fish pond\swimming hole.

Ice
I would be careful about damming the creek. First fallow the creek to see what all will be affected by your damming of the water causing rising water levels. You might even be able to build a hydro generator off the dam. Of course, that would depend on the rate in which the water is flowing already. Also, make sure the pond drains back into the creek. Never know if someone else way down stream already has done the same thing and you just cut off there water supply.
This isn't the main creek, it's simply run off from the back of both the neighbors' hillsides. As for what it's going to rise to, the only thing that would get affected would be the bottom of a shared 'valley' between our two hills. Completely undeveloped. A day or so after rainfall, the section we're talking about is probably < 10 gallon a minute flow, IF that. Basically, it's dry. I can actually follow the creek all the way to the Ohio. Nobody has done anything on it (there MAY have been a mill a LONG time ago, but only a small part of the foundation remains at this time.

The micro-hydro is in the plans as well if said project ever moves forward.
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 pm

IceWing wrote:Really good effort, but I have to ask, is this something where you may have been better off renting a bobcat or excavator for a weekend and using it all around said property. Although it's usually better to put some sweat equity in, sometimes, spending a little bit of coin to speed up a project, or multiple projects yourself, is of greater benefit.

How many gallons is that pond going to be? We're thinking about doing something similar by 'damming up' one of the run off creeks that's cut a nice little chasm\canyon on the edge of our property... May even make it into a combination fish pond\swimming hole.

Ice
the pond is lined with a 10,000 + gallon pool liner so probably a little less

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 am

Are there plans for an aerator? Even a small pond like that needs a little something to keep water moving and dissolved oxygen levels up.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:19 am

Interesting project looking forward to seeing more if it - I embeded your videos for you.
Man is a beast of prey

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:35 pm

You mention several times your pond is hidden and secret. Why the secrecy? Just wondering :) If it's about protecting it, why not just build it the the backyard or something? Out in the woods anyone could stumble across it and you would never know.

Keep us updated, love to see how this thing turns out.
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Ax-Man wrote:You mention several times your pond is hidden and secret. Why the secrecy? Just wondering :) If it's about protecting it, why not just build it the the backyard or something? Out in the woods anyone could stumble across it and you would never know.

In the past when we have had a Pond that was stocked with Fish , people have invited themselves over to fish , Neighbors , Family , hell even just random passers by have knocked on our door and said hey can we go fishing in your pond , It was a major Pain , every time we turned around we had to decide whether we should tell the person not to come back because they left their trash or invited all their friends over to our pond to fish all day , sometimes because It was family or "friends" we just cleaned up the mess or didnt say anything and It was always Just a Pain and always a worry someones feelings would get hurt . This Pond is going to be a aquaponic Grow Tank and It is "hidden" because the less people that know about it, the more we have it as a family to enjoy and use as we see fit without it becoming a Pain.

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Ax-Man wrote:You mention several times your pond is hidden and secret. Why the secrecy? Just wondering :) If it's about protecting it, why not just build it the the backyard or something? Out in the woods anyone could stumble across it and you would never know.

The Likely hood of someone stumbling across our pond without our Dogs Noticing isnt very good
The pond is In the woods and Out of sight but then again so is our homestead heh heh

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm

omega_man wrote:Are there plans for an aerator? Even a small pond like that needs a little something to keep water moving and dissolved oxygen levels up.
Shade, wind, and plants will do a lot to keep the DO up.

I think this is going to either require a lot of constant work on the OP's part, or turn into a green pool of death.

OP: MORE PLANTS. The more plants you have taking up Nitrates and Phosphates now, the less algae you'll have once the water cycles. Do you have basic test kits, to monitor the progress of the nitrogen cycle, phosphates, etc, so you know when to start doing water changes? I don't know what your experience level is with keeping fish alive, so I don't really know where to start on questions/advice.

ETA: Oh, and throw some dead trees or something in the bottom, and make sure as much of the water is shaded as possible. That's a small volume to be exposed to constant direct sunlight.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Seems like a very cool, if work intensive, project.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:30 pm

i have a couple new Vid updates on this project and figuered I would share

Part 3

PatriotSurvival

Post by PatriotSurvival » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:45 pm

My Old Filter Setup Made from Junk & free Materials

Stay tuned for my Next Filter video showing my double barrel filter setup

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 pm

The rabbit idea is a new one on me. Interesting idea.

How far is the pond from your house? I assume it's not far based on your dog comment.

You must be a much nicer guy than me. If anyone showed up in my backyard to fish I'd run em off with the 12ga. Family or not. :twisted:
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Is this idea compatible with the rabbit's autocoprophagy?

Rick Blane

Post by Rick Blane » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for the great post. Very good info and good food for thought.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”