Tobacco and the Apocalypse

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cherokee John

Re: Tobacco and the Apocalypse

Post by Cherokee John » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 pm

If you all chew tobacco you should try to quit ASAP. I started dipping when I was 9 years old, then leaf and plug all the way up into my twenties. I lived in a rural place about 30 years back and places back then would sell to minors. Chewing Tobacco has A LOT of nicotine in it and it is very hard to quit. Most adults where I lived turned a blind eye since it wasn't smoking cigarettes and tobacco and local history were mixed.

I'll share my secret of how I quit.

Alcohol. Go and get good and drunk. I mean staggering drunk where you can't even sit. Then take a huge dip or plug of your favorite stuff. Then swallow it. Swallow enough to where you throw up. Your vomit will smell and taste like the chew.

You'll probably want a chew for a few weeks and months especially after having a few drinks. Repeat the above mentioned.

Pretty soon the smell of chew will make you sick.

Then you got to quit getting drunk.

Most of you won't think twice about dropping heavy gear from your Bug Out bags. Why not streamline your life?
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

SteveCA

Post by SteveCA » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:31 am

I'm all for diy'ing and growing your own and what-not but there are alternatives like electronic cigarettes. You can purchase DIY e-cig supplies in quantity and enough to last a year or even two won't set you back much, relative to the price of actual cigarettes. You'll need one or more good quality e-cigs, I personally recommend Lava Tube and consumables, the things you put the liquid into eg. cartomizers, batteries, mixing liquids (propylene glycol and glycerin), some flavorings and a charger that can be plugged into a solar panel. There are e-cig forums for more info on the subject or pm me if you want any specific information.
Two wrongs don't make a right but two "L"'s make a "Y".

gatorglockman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Trilogy (true zombie flicks), The Walking Dead, The Crazies

Post by gatorglockman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Cherokee John wrote:If you all chew tobacco you should try to quit ASAP. I started dipping when I was 9 years old, then leaf and plug all the way up into my twenties. I lived in a rural place about 30 years back and places back then would sell to minors. Chewing Tobacco has A LOT of nicotine in it and it is very hard to quit. Most adults where I lived turned a blind eye since it wasn't smoking cigarettes and tobacco and local history were mixed.

I'll share my secret of how I quit.

Alcohol. Go and get good and drunk. I mean staggering drunk where you can't even sit. Then take a huge dip or plug of your favorite stuff. Then swallow it. Swallow enough to where you throw up. Your vomit will smell and taste like the chew.

You'll probably want a chew for a few weeks and months especially after having a few drinks. Repeat the above mentioned.

Pretty soon the smell of chew will make you sick.

Then you got to quit getting drunk.

Most of you won't think twice about dropping heavy gear from your Bug Out bags. Why not streamline your life?
LMAO man! Excellent strategy. I still get sick to my stomach when I smell wintergreen smell (like icy hot) from a similar situation with Beechnut Wintergreen Chew from back in the day.....and to your story, IT WORKED. However regular chew (non wintergreen smell) hath no effect on me :crazy:
Glock, accept no subsitutes!

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm

I currently have a Zig Zag roller that I really like, and I have an old Tops somewhere around here.

Anybody got a roller they like?

scotcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Shaun of the dead, Day of the dead

Post by scotcat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:58 am

The best bet would be to just quit altogether. When the apocalypse comes, you want to have as few things you're addicted to - tobacco, alcohol, caffeine etc. - as possible.

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Don't ruin my apocalypse. I want to enjoy this.

You do what you want in your bunker. I will be smoking. 8-)

I'll make you a deal scotcat, when I die of cancer in the PAW, you can have all my canned goods and ammo. :D

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Just resurrecting this old thread because I've been reevaluating my tobacco preps for both the short and long term. I'm somewhat of a medium smoker (with occasional heavy days). Usually during a day I'll smoke from store bought packs if I'm out in public, roll your own tobacco at home, and I'll smoke my vape if I'm indoors, or somewhere I can't smoke. I'm actually still new to vaping, I was just gifted my first one a couple months ago.

At any given time, I always have at least one full carton and one open carton of cigs that I rotate as needed. And a few pouches of my various rolling tobaccos, plus the papers/rolling machines/filters etc.

Just recently in the last couple of weeks I got really interested in pipe smoking. It seemed like such a logical, long tern tobacco plan. Pipe tobacco is cheaper, and stores better than most cig tobacco. I also wouldn't have to worry about papers, machines or other small consumables. I went to my local tobacco shop where I buy my rolling tobaccos, and picked up a few Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, a few small pouches of mid priced pipe tobacco, and a big bag of the cheap Kentucky Select they had.

I got to say, I'm actually very much enjoying the pipe smoking for a lot of reasons. I'm getting ready to buy my first briar in the next couple of days. And because it's not something I'll likely do as frequently as smoking regular cigs, I know I won't "burn thru" my preps unless I need to.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:52 pm

As a trading and bargaining tool post-Apocalypse, I see tobacco as being nearly as valuable as ammunition. People will want it, without doubt. Having a way to help people use it will also be valuable. For that end, I'm on board; I'd consider learning to grow and prepare it.

That said, I would like to go on a short rant about smokers. Maybe it'll sway some of the thinkers here.

Rant begin:
I have difficulty taking "dedicated preppers" - who are also pack-a-day or greater smokers - seriously as preppers. Granted, I also have difficulty taking those who are obese or terribly out of shape seriously too. Why? Hypocrisy.

Consider your intentions as a prepper. Why would you spend countless hours of your life planning, learning valuable skills, amassing long-term provisions and sundries, establishing contacts and building communities, perfecting defensive (and offensive) action drills, et cetera, for the end goal of maximizing your post-disaster lifespan, when you have a self-destructive, expensive habit that is repeatedly demonstrated to shorten the lifespans of virtually everyone who participates in said habit? And the longer the habit, the shorter the lifespan!

And mind you, that's ignoring all of the other obvious stuff that we've all heard about, over and over again, as to how smoking affects our overall health.

I say this as a former smoker; I smoked for a decade. I understand the virtues and enjoyment of smoking, that first puff of the day on a cool morning, and I understand the challenges of addiction. I understand. But it is simply hypocritical to fancy yourself a serious prepper and also be a smoker. And then consider the irony of storing gas masks for a preparedness item, and near it cartons of smokes for personal consumption...

As an aside, I fully expect an angrily-worded counter argument. Bring them facts!
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:34 am

I agree there is absolutely some degree of hypocrisy. The ideal end game plan would be to stop smoking altogether.

But for now, it's one of my few vices. Since it is something I do in my day to day life, I figure its worth thinking about for inconvenience sake. It doesn't have to be an end of the world disaster I'm preparing for, but short to medium length situations that may pop up. Maybe for whatever reason, going to the store is just not an option for a few weeks.

All in all, I've invested about $40 in pipe tobacco and accessories, and have effectively added an additional few extra months of prepped tobacco to my "luxury" preps.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:44 am

On a side note, I wonder why smokers don't grow their own these days. I quit smoking back in the 90's when a pack of Marlboro Reds were $1.60. With a pack of cigarettes costing more that $5 to almost $10 a pack in some areas I really wonder why more people haven't tried tobacco gardening. Like mentioned in the beginning of this thread it seems like having a small plot would sustain an average smokers fix, and will probably be more cost effective. That said, there seems to be nothing illegal about growing your own tobacco for personal use (check local laws), however if you get into selling or trading tobacco to others you will run afoul with the "T" part of the ATF.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-and-Process-Tobacco

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:On a side note, I wonder why smokers don't grow their own these days. I quit smoking back in the 90's when a pack of Marlboro Reds were $1.60. With a pack of cigarettes costing more that $5 to almost $10 a pack in some areas I really wonder why more people haven't tried tobacco gardening. Like mentioned in the beginning of this thread it seems like having a small plot would sustain an average smokers fix, and will probably be more cost effective. That said, there seems to be nothing illegal about growing your own tobacco for personal use (check local laws), however if you get into selling or trading tobacco to others you will run afoul with the "T" part of the ATF.

Same reason most people don't have personal gardens, raise chickens, etc... Because they don't have the time, land, or knowledge to do it.

A lot of people find it easier to just pay the cost, than to find more self sufficient ways to do things.

There are laws against some of the older traditional native tobaccos (due to some much more intoxifying effect I think), but the general it is legal to grow tobacco and there are plenty of seed sources.

One of my favorite seed sources has a fairly good collection of tobacco seeds, which I plan to eventually buy a few different varieties of. http://sustainableseedco.com/tobacco-seeds/
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Growing tobacco is real easy, aging it is the hard part, I ended up with dry green leafs...

Rancher

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:56 am

ineffableone wrote:
Mikeyboy wrote:On a side note, I wonder why smokers don't grow their own these days. I quit smoking back in the 90's when a pack of Marlboro Reds were $1.60. With a pack of cigarettes costing more that $5 to almost $10 a pack in some areas I really wonder why more people haven't tried tobacco gardening. Like mentioned in the beginning of this thread it seems like having a small plot would sustain an average smokers fix, and will probably be more cost effective. That said, there seems to be nothing illegal about growing your own tobacco for personal use (check local laws), however if you get into selling or trading tobacco to others you will run afoul with the "T" part of the ATF.

Same reason most people don't have personal gardens, raise chickens, etc... Because they don't have the time, land, or knowledge to do it.

A lot of people find it easier to just pay the cost, than to find more self sufficient ways to do things.

There are laws against some of the older traditional native tobaccos (due to some much more intoxifying effect I think), but the general it is legal to grow tobacco and there are plenty of seed sources.

One of my favorite seed sources has a fairly good collection of tobacco seeds, which I plan to eventually buy a few different varieties of. http://sustainableseedco.com/tobacco-seeds/
While I'm sure that's part of it, the bigger problem comes from the preparation side of it. You can basically grow tobacco as a houseplant if you want to, that side's easy (tobacco tends to be a fairly hardy plant, doesn't really take much to keep it alive). The hard part is aging/drying the harvested leaves properly so that you end up with what you'd get from a store-bought source. My dad grew up on a tobacco farm, and just asking about it will get him to start bitching for an hour or three about how much of a pain it was---that and how he disliked harvesting, though that's more due to the sheer number of snakes that liked to hang out in the tobacco fields (my dad has a serious hatred of snakes).
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

SuperBanki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, campiness at it's best.

Post by SuperBanki » Mon May 11, 2015 10:37 pm

The other side benefit to growing tobacco,ll is that is a very beautiful plant. I love to smoke my tobaccy, but I also love looking at the grown plants, so beautiful!
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am

Irony Zombie Squad Style:
ZS 1: "this thing may kill us! it's never happened, and there's no sign that it may happen in the near or distant future, but it is a thing that may happen and endanger people!"
ZS 2: "this thing is killing more people in this country today than anything else, let's make sure we have more of it in case of a disaster!"

I'm sure the tobacco will have value if society collapses, I don't have any doubt about that. The specific topic and the basic typical area of conversation are a really funny combination.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Tue May 12, 2015 12:42 am

I find, for the most part, that i enjoy hanging out with smokers and drinkers.. I also like hanging out with older folks that smoke and drank most of their lives then stopped for various reasons. I tend not to trust people that haven't done either. :D

That said, in a calamity of biblical proportions, most of us who drank or smoked will go a week or so of tough times and then be fine.

We will then tell the best stories about "back when I was drinkin' and smokin'" around the PAW campfires and all will rejoice (even the naysayers as they are being kept alive by the aforementioned drinkers and smokers).

Then we will use our "survival" skills to build a proper still from copper and work the soil to produce tobacco, and all will be right with the world again.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”