Tobacco and the Apocalypse

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm

I've searched and couldn't find if this has been discussed before, but has anybody thought about that sweet nicotine fix when the shit hits the fan?

As someone who has smoked, quit, and occasionally sneaks, and someone who lives in a state where tobacco is a very big deal, I know I'm lighting up when the dead rise from their graves.

I work on a farm with a cousin who still grows his own tobacco. This for him is not a cash crop, he only grows for his own use. His methods are pretty cool and can be done really cheaply on a small scale so that you could have a smoke when you want or trade tobacco if it came down to it. I have no doubt that in a post apocalyptic situation tobacco will be highly prized, just like in prison! :)

10 to 15 plants hand picked and grown in a backyard bed has him smoking home rolled cigarettes for over a year so that should give you an indication of what you need for yourself.

It's easy to get tobacco seeds (or at least this is the case locally) or if you have growers in your area get a couple plants to transplant. I'd start your seeds in doors or in a greenhouse until they are big enough to transplant. They like sun and need to be in areas without standing water. Raised backyard beds are awesome.

If anyone is interested I'll pick his brain later on all the steps for picking leaves and suckering plants. Not to mention some of his home made methods for curing, pressing, aging, and shredding.

mbf2k

Re: Tobacco and the Apocalypse

Post by mbf2k » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm

I have seeds stored away and planned on growing some this year as a test crop, but didn't get around to it. Next year it is high on my list. I will definitely be keeping seeds on hand for when it may not be as convenient to go buy.
- MBF2k

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 am

I'm a pipe smoker, so I smoke natural tobacco. Grown tobacco would be great for me. However, if there's a shortage I just wouldn't smoke. I can go months without smoking and not even think about it, then just pick one up when I feel like it. I think it's a very good idea to grow and even store tobacco, not necessarily for "personal use" but also as a major trade commodity if SHTF. Read the blockade stories and see how high the value of coffee, tobacco, and lighters get.

Thankfully for me, I'm the same way with coffee as I am with tobacco. I enjoy a cup when I have it, but never feel like "I need a cup of coffee". I'm just as happy with a cup of tea or a glass of lemon water. And I don't need lighters when I can light a fire as easily with flint and tinder. So all of this stuff could be used by me as trade commodities rather than personal needs. If somebody's going to trade me a bunch of food for my little bit of tobacco or coffee, then I'm all game! :D
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

mbf2k

Post by mbf2k » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm

I am a pipe smoker also, but I smoke often (5+ times a day). During the apocalypse, I'd probably smoke more. Another thing that may be worth picking up are some cheap backup pipes/barter pipes and maybe rolling papers. I think Missouri Meerschaum Corncob pipes are about $5 a piece and are pretty decent.
- MBF2k

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 am

We grew some a few years back. My uncle claimed a few small plants that fell off a truck in the middle of the interstate. We dried it in a dehydrator. It was some potent stuff.

I'd actualy be interested in doing Tobacco. It would probably be a decent cash crop in bad times.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

2now

Post by 2now » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 am

Tobacco also has significant medical qualities that make it useful to grow. I've grown some in the past, but do not smoke so I have no idea how good it was.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Here is a pic of this years crop. Those are just tied hands of leaves, no stalks. They are drying in the back of his green house as we speak.

I talked to him and think I can get over to his place soon to snaps some pics of his press. Hopefully they will be better than this crumby cell phone pic.

This is all burley and makes for a really tasty but strong smoke so I would suggest getting a pack of filters for rolling.

This would make great pipe tobacco, just don't shred it as small as you would for cigarettes.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Monkey Mancheeks wrote:I'd start your seeds in doors or in a greenhouse until they are big enough to transplant.

We used float beds.

I personally smoke rarely, and it will be not at all should shtf. The upper respiratory infections that invites are not for me without a hospital.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

skruface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by Romero or Argento

Post by skruface » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Also a pipesmoker, but only occasionally - maybe 8-10 times per year. What kind of blends do you guys prefer, and what if your favorite smoking instrument?

I myself like Cherries Jubilee or Georgia Peach (holy crap, it DOES taste like fresh peaches!) as blended by Thomas Hinds Tobacconists here in Canada, but I also like their Longbottom. Basically, I prefer a lighter, less acidic smoke.

I have about 30 pipes (LOL Ebay) - My regular use one is a Brigham, but I have a few older Estate Pipes in nice shape like a Bruyere and a few Dr. Grabows and some old Yello Boles. All briar or metal, no meerchaum.

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Interesting side note... I've read that Tobacco plants can act as a natural insect repellent... so, if you grow em in your garden maybe it can keep your pest level down. I'm trying this next year.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

mbf2k

Post by mbf2k » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Skruface,

Most of what I smoke are local blends from briarandbean.com (A local tobacconist). Gentleman Jack being my favorite, Peaches and Cream, Briar's Best and a few others.

I also like Prince Albert (Soft Vanilla) and Captain Black when I am not around here.

The two pipes I use most often are a Graco Ocean and a (large) Nording. Other assorted briar pipes I use occasionally.
- MBF2k

EVEREADY

Post by EVEREADY » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:04 pm

I quit smoking a year ago, but recently decided I would try my hand at growing my own.
For fun really, its therapeutic too.. idle hands..
I have to clear these out, as there are too many, aiming for one in each punnet.
Doing it all fully organic too, I just got some Eco-Fert seaweed based fertilizer to try on em.

The government here in New Zealand is regulating the industry and plan to tax-out smoking completely by 2020.
So could be a good little black market enterprise towards the end, as tax rises on them (I think at least 10% increase every year until a blanket ban in 2020+ (they reckon)).

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:49 pm

skruface wrote:Also a pipesmoker, but only occasionally - maybe 8-10 times per year. What kind of blends do you guys prefer, and what if your favorite smoking instrument?

I myself like Cherries Jubilee or Georgia Peach (holy crap, it DOES taste like fresh peaches!) as blended by Thomas Hinds Tobacconists here in Canada, but I also like their Longbottom. Basically, I prefer a lighter, less acidic smoke.

I have about 30 pipes (LOL Ebay) - My regular use one is a Brigham, but I have a few older Estate Pipes in nice shape like a Bruyere and a few Dr. Grabows and some old Yello Boles. All briar or metal, no meerchaum.
I buy loose tobacco so I can't really tell you which blends since they are all unique to my local tobacconist. I will say though that I do love peach blends! They don't have any here so I've been off of that, but I used to buy peach tobacco in big bulk bags when I lived in the US. That stuff was the bomb. What part of Canada are you in? Maybe I can track down something peach again...

As for my pipes, I just smoke briars. I have smoked every other type from Meerschaum to Corncob to Brass to Seashells, but I inevitably go back to my briars. The few I have in rotation now would include an English Kaywoodie Standard, a Canadian Medway Select, an Italian Harvey, and an Italian Medico Varsity. I may be off on some of those names, as most of the markings are worn off. The Canadian pipe and the Medico are my short pipes (neither were very long to begin with, but both have been shortened further by myself) for traveling about, while the English pipe and the Harvey are my longer pipes for smoking around the house. As long as I can keep them in rotation, and not keep smoking out of one pipe. My favorite Canadian pipe may not be with me for much longer though, as the bowl is cracked. Using the pipe reamer catches the crack already, and it's ready to give away in due time. I haven't smoked it in a long time, but you can tell it was once a favorite by looking at it, lol.

I have also had a number of Dr. Grabows like you have. I've always enjoyed them, particularly the big bowl ones. I had one very old one with a nice screw tip for a long time. Can't remember what became of that one, but I go through a lot of pipes.
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't smoke anymore (tho sometimes I wish I did). The only use tobacco would have for me in the PAW is as a cash crop. There have been places and times in history where tobacco was worth more than "money". http://books.google.com/books?id=2IWr7N ... ge&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Actually quite interesting.
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

Wolfblade
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original Romero 'Dead' trilogy, AMC's The Walking Dead
Location: The United States of America, North America, Holy Terra, Sol, The Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Wolfblade » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:30 pm

So lovely to be acquainted with my fellow zombie slaying pipe smokers. :mrgreen:

This is a subject I have been pondering about as well. Once the Strategic Tobacco Reserve runs dry, I should very much like to be able to obtain more. However, I was under the impression that tobacco was a very labour intensive crop that beat the hell out of the soil. Is it more practical when done on a personal scale?

Also, a good anecdote there Axe-Man. In the area where I live, tobacco literally was our currency during the first years of European habitation.
Kommander wrote:
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: If you put an AR stock on an AK Kalashnikov himself will show up at your house and beat you with a vodka bottle.

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Wolfblade wrote: This is a subject I have been pondering about as well. Once the Strategic Tobacco Reserve runs dry, I should very much like to be able to obtain more. However, I was under the impression that tobacco was a very labour intensive crop that beat the hell out of the soil. Is it more practical when done on a personal scale?
I think when you are talking a big cash crop like tobacco you are talking about intense production agriculture. But when you're family doesn't depend on it to pay the mortgage and you aren't growing acres of plants, it shouldn't be that difficult.

My cousin has success with very little work. He is hand picking. Tobacco has been grown by native peoples with relative ease for a long time, so don't let all the trappings of the production ag world deter you. If you have the right climate it shouldn't be any harder to grow than tomatoes.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:06 pm

There's been a few threads on here about 'baccer and TEOTWAWKI.

I've been involved with the production side of tobacco for a few years, and I can say that there are many breads of tobacco out there. Some are good for cigars (like Tennessee 88), and other breads are good for snuff/snus (dipping) or cigs. In the PAW I don't think folks will be as picky. Since the .gov ended tobacco subsidies and deregulated, seed is a lot easier to come by, too.

And just for the record, I've prepped 250 16oz bags of Sparrow Mild Blend, five Gambler rolling machines, and 200 boxes of Gambler rolling tubes. I'm a hardcore smoker.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:08 pm

Just a heads up, there's a decorative tobacco plant out there that looks just like the smokable plant. Not that I bought, planted and nurtured a dozen of them before discovering my mistake. :oops:
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

IronManT28
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IronManT28 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm a dipper and I've often thought about this problem. This is the only aspect of my plan that I don't have figured out.
666th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company
"Masters of the Beast"

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 am

What ways can you dry tabacco? I know the slow moist process is the best but someone earlier mentioned a dehydrator.

I do not smoke but like I would grow it for the PAW and also the woman smokes like a 5 alarm fire and I may need like 100 plants
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm

AZMedic wrote:What ways can you dry tabacco? I know the slow moist process is the best but someone earlier mentioned a dehydrator.

I do not smoke but like I would grow it for the PAW and also the woman smokes like a 5 alarm fire and I may need like 100 plants
The problem with tobacco is that if you dry it out too much, it crumbles to dust at touch. You can use a dehydrator, but before you can handle the tobacco again you've got to hit it with some moisture of some kind, like a humidifier.

From the production side of things that I'm used to, the tobacco gets hung upside down in an area with nice airflow until it wilts down and turns brown, and you wait for a nice wet day or a really foggy morning to strip it for baling.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Having some nice aged homegrown tobacco and having the tools and know how to roll cigars could be very profitable in the PAW.
Jack of many trades master of none.

aloharover
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by aloharover » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:38 am

I quit almost 30 years ago, in 2004 I almost started up again while in Irag. I can see a lot of folks that have quit resorting to it PAW. For that reason I can see tobacco being an alternate currency. As well as other plants that are smokable (legal n many places for medicinal purposes, and here for everyone so hopefully not breaking any forum rules)
11B4HM(Ret), FFL 07/SOT

Monkey Mancheeks

Post by Monkey Mancheeks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Note to self: Stock up on rolling papers and a PAW roller.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”