RATS!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

RATS!

Post by dukman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:46 am

The neighbor decided it was time to harvest the timber from his 20 acre plot, and it has scared some of the critters down our way. My dad stores the dog food in a plastic 50 gallon drum in the woodshed, and noticed something was knocking the lid off, so he started tightening it down harder. Over the next week he started to find giant teeth marks on the drum, almost chewing all the way through. He was thinking it was a weasel, so he set his trap. In the 10+ years we have been here, not once have we ever seen a rat. Sure we have seen our fair share of field mice, but these suckers are big! He has caught at least six of them in the last week. Is there any good deterrents for rats to try to drive them away? Or is it better to just keep killing them off as we find them? Our cat is good at catching small rodents, but I think it is scared of these suckers
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Re: RATS!

Post by Fletch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 am

Do you have a friend with a terrier?

Where I lived back in the UK there was always someone willing to let their lil' dog come and chase down the rats

And yes, kill them as you find them, rats breed hella fast given a food source and somewhere to hide
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 am

The rats were always around, just now they are where you can see them. ( Is there any good deterrents for rats to try to drive them away? ) If there was the cities wouldn't have more rats than people living in them. Image this type of trap will work very well, and you don't empty right away, the more rats that are in it, the more will try to get in.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 am

Free source of protein coming to you and you want to drive it off? Whatever.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 am

Make sure you protect that dog food - my sister lost her dog to some disease common to rats when they got into it's food barrel and she didn't throw it out. There's 30 + diseases rats and mice can transmit to humans (and dogs) through feces, urine, and bites so getting rid of them is a solid idea.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I second the small dog thing. This guy is always killing rats and gophers and squirrels, and even drove 5 raccoons up a tree
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 pm

You could make it into an excuse to add another layer to your preps by making it your first step into airgun hunting.

With cal.22 and up you can fairly easily swage/cast your own pellets/bullets, add a few good airguns and you are set for life as far as having the tools to feed you and yours with small game.
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:54 pm

dukman wrote:The neighbor decided it was time to harvest the timber from his 20 acre plot, and it has scared some of the critters down our way. My dad stores the dog food in a plastic 50 gallon drum in the woodshed, and noticed something was knocking the lid off, so he started tightening it down harder. Over the next week he started to find giant teeth marks on the drum, almost chewing all the way through. He was thinking it was a weasel, so he set his trap. In the 10+ years we have been here, not once have we ever seen a rat. Sure we have seen our fair share of field mice, but these suckers are big! He has caught at least six of them in the last week. Is there any good deterrents for rats to try to drive them away? Or is it better to just keep killing them off as we find them? Our cat is good at catching small rodents, but I think it is scared of these suckers
Use poison. If you are working around rat infested area's you will be at very high risk of exposure to disease. Forget the dog/cat/vector option, safety first, traditionalist pursuits last.
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

PackLemming
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later.

Post by PackLemming » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Dawgboy wrote:I second the small dog thing. This guy is always killing rats and gophers and squirrels, and even drove 5 raccoons up a tree
:awesome:
"I was only following the cursory instruction of users."

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Im a fan of keeping away from poisons and using a more traditional option. All you need is a rat to eat not enough poison to kill fast enough and carry some of that to your dog food. My wife had this problem before and they bought metal trash cans to stop them from chewing through. I would buy a dog, I have both dog/cat and have proven them both to work on Rats/Mice problems. My wife and I breed rats for hobby and let me tell you. They just need a food source to breed better than rabbits. They can chew through all plastics, even the high speed anti-break stuff. Modern rat poisons are anticoagulants. So, rats can eat it, then your pet could eat that rat before it bleeds out. It takes time for the rats to die from modern poisons and can travel and chew for a good while after consuming that poison. You don't know where they can get but if its anywhere near you our your cat, you will regret it.

To train our dog we simply went with them and kept turning stuff over. That way the dog understood where they hide and such. Then he knows how to look and if the dog is a small breed, he will get there himself. If you use a larger breed you need to go out there and flip the barrels and such for him to get under. Yes there are always going to be the possibility of disease, but there are modern immunizations and normal hygiene measures for a reason. They are already there with the threat so killing them is only going to help.

Depending where you live, you could avoid killing their predates too, like snakes, predatory birds and such. But its all about food and threat. If you own a dog, the rats will learn to breed elsewhere due to the threat of the dog. Right now all they have is a food source so it looks perfect for babies.
The future is for those who prepare.

huntingohio

Post by huntingohio » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Well I advise getting a barn cat or two itll take em down quick enough

DanielRiviere

Post by DanielRiviere » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 am

Mate of mine served in Bosnia with the UN. at thier OP they made a rat graveyard!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”