Grizzly hydraulic wood splitter - two thumbs up.

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bae

Grizzly hydraulic wood splitter - two thumbs up.

Post by bae » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:58 am

The other day, I picked up one of these hand-operated hydraulic wood splitters, from Grizzly tool. It was reasonably frugal, $108. Freight for delivery is insane, $79, but it weighs ~100 pounds. Luckily, Grizzly Tools has one of their main warehouses just a few miles away from me over on the mainland, and when I was over there recently, I just drove by and picked it up for $0 delivery cost. The savings paid for my ferry ticket, gasoline, and lunch.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Ton- ... tter/H6239

The reason I got this is that I have some really nasty tough wood here, with lots of knots or twisted burls, and some of it is a royal pain to split totally by hand - I was getting tennis elbow blasting through it with a sledge hammer and wedges, the splitting maul wouldn't even make a dent in those chunks.

This hydraulic unit eats them up.

One handle moves the ram forward semi-fast, but requires more force, the other handle moves the ram very slowly, using very little effort on your part, so you can start the split with the low-geared one, then speed things up with the other.

It is still a bit slow, so for me its best use is to break a problem round in halves or quarters, then do the rest with hand tools. It is great for team-splitting, one partner can produce halves, while the other deals with them.

It stows upright when you are done using it, so you can tuck it away in a corner of the garage or shed and not trip over it.

TacAir

Re: Grizzly hydraulic wood splitter - two thumbs up.

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:01 am

Thanks for the review and photos!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

bae

Post by bae » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:48 pm

My new exercise gear is all set to go:

About half of the hemlock trees I took down this week, I still have to buck up and get the rest up here to the house. Then it's splittin' time, arr!

ShortFieldBreak

Post by ShortFieldBreak » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 am

That's a beautiful thing. I'm continually looking for the manual versions of powered stuff just in case I find myself without power for an extended period of time. Looks like that one is going on my list. Thanks for the review.

-SFB

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 am

It looks like Harbor Freight has this same item with red paint. It is item #67090 for $119. I thought I'd mention it because you can get it with no shipping charge if you have a HF store nearby. The regular price is $129, but with everything at HF, it is on sale. Look around the net for a 20% off HF coupon if you happen to catch it when it is not on sale.

Looks like a good buy. If I had more time for campfires, I'd buy one! Thanks for the review.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:42 am

I own one from Harbor Freight. While it makes the splitting much easier, it does take quite a few strokes with the levers to be able to split the wood. I find that I am usually winded whn trying to split wood quickly. I am thinking that the foot splitter is a more efficient use of energy and much quicker than the hydraulic system shown.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Post by Frosty709 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:57 am

That's a nice rig. Much easier to use that than with a splitting ax. Far safer and energy efficient as well. Good stuff.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”