How does your garden grow: 2012 Edition!

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Is there a quicker way of shelling dried beans? By hand is tedious...

These are Mitla black beans from Arizona. Just 4 plants worth.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: How does your garden grow: 2012 Edition!

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:27 am

Thresh them?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Going to need to figure out something... Here is about 10% of the black bean patch. I was counting pods and was averaging about 100 pods per plant and that is making me very happy. Now to sort the dry ones out and put the greener ones in a net bag to dry
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 pm

I found giving a good twist Before splitting is more effective. I now have 18 oz. of shelled beans and 2 lbs. greener ones to be shelled when dry enough.

This is the first time I have grown dry beans.

Edit: Autocorrect wtf
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Got another nice little harvest today, yellow squash and onions I sautéed in olive oil, ants a salad of mesclun and Madori Satsumi Cucs. It's late and the mesclun is getting bitter

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 am

Dawgboy wrote:Got another nice little harvest today, yellow squash and onions I sautéed in olive oil, ants a salad of mesclun and Madori Satsumi Cucs. It's late and the mesclun is getting bitter
Sounds like a recipe I make with yellow squash.

Yellow squash
Zucchini

Saute in olive oil, salt and pepper
Add white wine and allow to simmer and reduce.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Dawgboy's patented solar bean dryer...Image
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 pm

A few more progress photos. The powder mildew is doing in my crooknecks and Cucs but I think I am getting early enough for the Hubbards, which are headed into the football sized stage. Having problems with pill bugs too, which surprised the heck out of me. Got my first tomatoes and Blue Lake snap beans too.Image
Lima beans
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Hillbilly Homer

Post by Hillbilly Homer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:14 pm

NoAm wrote:New experiment! A friend told me I can grow lettuce in a plastic bag.
:D ...How did this turn out?... :D

Or did i miss it in an earlier post? :oops:

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm

I cleared out some space in the front flower bed and planted two heirloom beefsteak tomato plants from Lowes. They grew fast, got nice yellow flowers and one or two nice tomatoes from each plant.

Delicious!

More flowers keep blooming but they aren't resulting in any more fruit, not even little green starters. It has been like this now for weeks. The flowers just dry up. I am in a severe drought area, so I have been watering every day since they were seedlings, one 3 gallon bucket of water per plant.

Any help from the hivemind?
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

curryman

Post by curryman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Sorry guys. It's been about 200 degrees here lately. No rain in a month and forecasts of 105-108. Between watering twice a day and getting less than a pound of yummies every 2 days, I've not taken any pictures.

Made a batch of 5 pepper beans tonight. 1 each of 5 peppers, 1 onion 1 cup red beans. Saute, boil simmer ect.

Cukes are about tapped out, planted new seeds today.

I'll try to post pics of the New and Improved $8 irrigation tomorrow.

Curryman

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Flashdaddy, your tomatoes are not going to produce much if the temps are staying above 90 degrees. But if it's growing well, when the weather cools down you will get fruit sets again. also, there is a product called bloomset that works well.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:43 am

Dawgboy wrote:Flashdaddy, your tomatoes are not going to produce much if the temps are staying above 90 degrees. But if it's growing well, when the weather cools down you will get fruit sets again. also, there is a product called bloomset that works well.

Yeah, it has been hot here, we just had the hottest July ever, or at least the hottest since the late 1800s when they started keeping records. August isn't looking any cooler. I just ordered a bottle of Bonide Tomato Blossom Set spray. I had no idea there was a product like this. Thanks D!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Something is nibbling on and destroying one of my lemon trees. We found a grasshopper on it but I don't know if just one grasshopper can do that much damage. What can I do before my tree gets killed?
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Hillbilly Homer

Post by Hillbilly Homer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 pm

OTTB wrote:Something is nibbling on and destroying one of my lemon trees. We found a grasshopper on it but I don't know if just one grasshopper can do that much damage. What can I do before my tree gets killed?
Sevin dust

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:34 pm

OTTB wrote:Something is nibbling on and destroying one of my lemon trees. We found a grasshopper on it but I don't know if just one grasshopper can do that much damage. What can I do before my tree gets killed?
You can also try a Neem Oil mixture.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:32 am

The okra got away from us and now we've got some pods that are just too big. I tried slicing up some for frying and they're really woody. We're keeping some for seed, of course, but I really hate to waste anything. Any suggestions? Would stewing these things (gumbo) soften them up any or are they just pretty much a lost cause?

Peach

Hillbilly Homer

Post by Hillbilly Homer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:01 pm

:) Shell okra and use the seeds as you would dry beans. :)

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:14 pm

This morning I picked 2 buckets of grapes to make juice and the basil I just planted is coming in nicely. No pics, camera is packed in the hospital bag for the coming baby.
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Hillbilly Homer wrote::) Shell okra and use the seeds as you would dry beans. :)
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I can't believe I've never heard of this trick before now. Seriously, I'm so happy right now thinking about this that I may burst into tears. While I have always loved beans (pintos, black eyed peas, navy beans, northern beans, black beans, limas, etc.), they have been off my diet now for a couple of years because I went low-carb after being told I was a Type II diabetic. But oh how I have missed beans.

I can't wait to do this.

Peach

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Some more harvest photos Clemson okra is for seed as I only had a tiny amount to plant

And my honey with the "Lumpy Squash Princess"(for seed)
Last edited by Dawgboy on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:53 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I can't believe I've never heard of this trick before now. Seriously, I'm so happy right now thinking about this that I may burst into tears. While I have always loved beans (pintos, black eyed peas, navy beans, northern beans, black beans, limas, etc.), they have been off my diet now for a couple of years because I went low-carb after being told I was a Type II diabetic. But oh how I have missed beans.

I can't wait to do this.

Peach

Wait.. What?!?!?!

Beans are one the best things you could be eating, Ms. Peach. Cut out the refined grains and sugar, and eat the beans daily for the high soluble fiber and complex sugars!!! The more you eat them, the better you will feel too, as adding them back into your diet will help stabilize your blood sugar levels and with daily usage, most bloating and gas goes away.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_diabetes.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27573 ... etic-diet/
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Can anybody give me winter squash advice? I've never grown them so don't know when to pick them. Same goes for melons? How do I know they are ready?
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:04 pm

The color of the rind darkens in places like where it touches the ground, and the rind gets too hard to cut with a fingernail.
I give them a wash with vinegar-water or bleach-water and make sure they are completely dry before storing them.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”