Sluggs Squirrel Catcher Pics and Pics included

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Slugg

Sluggs Squirrel Catcher Pics and Pics included

Post by Slugg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:44 pm

The wife and I saw a guide to making a very low cost squirrel trap. We decided to make one, review it and test it for you guys. We made 2 of them for around $20 not counting peanut butter as bait.
What you need:
4-5ft of 4"PVC Pipe
5Gallon Bucket
Rope
Water source
Peanut Butter

Here it is layed out
You take the Peanut Butter, we chose crunchy. Get a good glob of it. Here is about how much we used per scoop and we did 2 scoops for the first and 3 for the second.
You reach your arm as far down as you can and smear it in there until it looks like this.
Then you take your hose and fill up the bucket.
We filled them pretty deep. Probably 95%+
We set ours up next to trees for the littler buggers to climb down from. We simply tied ours up, I have seen others with bungee cords and such.
We then put a little glob on top to help them get the scent.
Finally, we covered ours buckets a little. If you want to go all out, you could wrap your pipe in burlap or something of that nature.

So we set them out later in the day right after dinner time. We will check them tonight before we go to sleep and in the morning to see if any critters fell in. We will keep you updates on how well it works.

I figure in a PAW these would be good easy quiet food.
The future is for those who prepare.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Sluggs Squirrel Catcher Pics and Pics included

Post by shrapnel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Just remember, if you don't eat the squirrels that you catch, you are both a pansy and a girlieman. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those things, but, you know, yeah.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

SlobberToofTigger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Tigger

Post by SlobberToofTigger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:57 pm

That is an interesting solution. I wonder if it works on fruit rats just using different bait. The rats will eat every tomato I get so I have just given up growing them. Otherwise I have to poison and I don't want to hurt my neighbors dogs.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 pm

shrapnel wrote:Just remember, if you don't eat the squirrels that you catch, you are both a pansy and a girlieman. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those things, but, you know, yeah.

People often poison squirrels and rats here, and eat neither one.

Do you tell people they need to eat the mice in micetraps?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 pm

crypto wrote:
shrapnel wrote:Just remember, if you don't eat the squirrels that you catch, you are both a pansy and a girlieman. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those things, but, you know, yeah.

People often poison squirrels and rats here, and eat neither one.

Do you tell people they need to eat the mice in micetraps?
YES I DO.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:49 pm

This thread has now reminded me of a good quote I saw on T.V a while back. A father was talking to a son and said "If your man enough, ALL underwear is edible."

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:53 pm

We used something similar for mice when I worked at an animal shelter. Not my favorite bucket to empty in the morning, but it worked better than regular traps. The glue traps work pretty well though, but they're disposable and not terribly humane IMO.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:58 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:We used something similar for mice when I worked at an animal shelter. Not my favorite bucket to empty in the morning, but it worked better than regular traps. The glue traps work pretty well though, but they're disposable and not terribly humane IMO.
In basic training our Drill Sergeants layed those sticky traps out at night. When I was on fire guard one got the trap and I was told to throw him in the trash alive. When I woke up in the morning he wasn't in the trash and it wasn't a new trash bag :shock: The drill sergeant didn't see which trash bin I threw it in too. So he either went through them all or something else took it and who knows what he did with that live rat/mouse thing.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:04 pm

On a website with a pretty strong unofficial but often recalled rule along the lines of "Eat it if you kill it; if you don't eat it, don't kill it...or you're a complete bastard," this is probably not the best thing in the world to post with pride.

Common tactic, well-employed, but not something that will acquire much support.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

Chase The hero

Post by Chase The hero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Auslander wrote:On a website with a pretty strong unofficial but often recalled rule along the lines of "Eat it if you kill it; if you don't eat it, don't kill it...or you're a complete bastard," this is probably not the best thing in the world to post with pride.

Common tactic, well-employed, but not something that will acquire much support.
i personally hate the damn little tree rats, so i have no problem with it.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm

From an animal control dude ( me ) I'll tell ya, you can use half a tea spoon on the tree next to the pipe and half a tea spoon inside. The critters have very good noses and will find it and you don't waste food. That much is going to be a mess to clean later - remember they can't eat the stuff in the tube as they are sliding past it. I used to use something smaller for mice and rats.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

CiggsWar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's flicks classic, I like a bunch of them esp vehicles

Post by CiggsWar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 am

I have cats there very good at bringing in all kinds of food lol birds chimpmonks rabbits squirrels mice.

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:18 am

CiggsWar wrote:I have cats there very good at bringing in all kinds of food lol birds chimpmonks rabbits squirrels mice.

Its like the cutest cartoon ever!
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:48 am

So, status?
Image Image

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:22 am

Depends on the Squirrels. Some of the Squirrels here in manchester look as diseased as the pigeons. If either were damaging my veg garden, I'd slaughter them happily, and I think we'd be fully fine under the unoffical ZS rules of Gotta Eat what you kill. Because I'm eating what I killed was gonna eat.

Stealing tree rat bastards
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

silversnake

Post by silversnake » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:20 am

Must be the rural vs. suburban difference. Around here, I just resign myself to losing a few tomatoes from the garden each summer because if I tried something like this half my neighbors would call the city and I'd be up on animal abuse charges or have protesters in front of my house.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”