Buying Land?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Vel454 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Realtor.com used to have a map-search feature (they might still, but couldn't find it) that used to make finding properties in specifics places easy. But this was the results from a search I did, that was by no means exhaustive. The 10 acre $10k properties I seen were from 1-3 years ago, and didn't see any (there were a lot of them listed at that time). But here's some that still fall around that price range:

~$1,500/Acre:
http://www.landandfarm.com/property/27_ ... on-317499/
http://www.landandfarm.com/property/39_ ... on-357564/

~$975/Acre:
http://www.landandfarm.com/property/80_ ... on-301568/

~$600/Acre:
http://www.landandfarm.com/property/160 ... on-305754/

Try different websites and keep an eye out for the Ferry, Stevens & Pend Orielle counties in northeast WA. Stevens primarily was where I was seeing those prices. I've also seen some cheap land in the southeast corner of the state, but the quality of land seemed lower. Okanogan and Chelan counties can turn up some lightly wooded plots for cheap too. Good luck!
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
ZapThyCat
* * *
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Springfield area, MO
Contact:

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ZapThyCat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Vel454 wrote:keep an eye out for the Ferry, Stevens & Pend Orielle counties in northeast WA. Stevens primarily was where I was seeing those prices. I've also seen some cheap land in the southeast corner of the state, but the quality of land seemed lower. Okanogan and Chelan counties can turn up some lightly wooded plots for cheap too. Good luck!
Yeah. That land doesn't even close to the same as the lands in the willamette valley or closer to the cascades. I drove through that it seems mostly like scrublands where ranching or dryland farming is what the land is used for.

Then again, you get what you pay for. Fertile land with great weather and plenty of rain costs good money.

*sigh*
~Jarrod~
Image

User avatar
Vel454
* * *
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: NE Washington State

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Vel454 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Yep you do. And the areas I was talking about is a bit too dry and rough for me. Growing up in the convergence zone in the puget sound, I like it green and wet. But, the land is there for the price if it's something you'd be interested in.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

User avatar
ZapThyCat
* * *
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 am
Location: Springfield area, MO
Contact:

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ZapThyCat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

I'm *actually* looking for land in the Ozarks... SW Missouri or NW Oklahoma, even SW Oklahoma (though that's technically not the Ozarks, it's another mountain range close by).

These seem like good areas to have a homestead, build a garden, raise a family, etc...
~Jarrod~
Image

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ineffableone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:50 am

Another good source for Washington State land

DESERT LAKE REALTY
http://www.dirt-cheap-dirt.com/

They have great search functions and a lot of great land for good prices. Their listings include most of the counties in WA and you can search for the different counties. I highly recommend looking through these guys.

Some examples of their listings

Okanogan county

http://dirt-cheap-dirt.idxco.com/idx/25 ... gID=223832
Image
Acres: 12 Price: $19,900
The views are INCREDIBLE! Come enjoy the best of what the Okanogan Highlands has to offer. Mostly wonderful grass with an area of pine trees making a great horse property for the person wanting remote. The terrain is very gently southern sloped. Electric is only stones throw away. Wildlife are abundant and include white tail and mule deer, bear, cougar, coyote, wild turkey, grouse and much more. An adjacent 24 acre parcel is also available.


http://dirt-cheap-dirt.idxco.com/idx/25 ... gID=231368
Image
Acres: 18.35 Price: $18,900
This property would make a great hunting get-away. Lot of trees and very remote in a area loaded with deer and other wildlife. Lots of small lakes nearby. Come and enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of this area. This property boarders BLM land on 2 sides.


http://dirt-cheap-dirt.idxco.com/idx/25 ... gID=231973
Image
Acres: 10 Price: $19,500
Very nice parcel with a pleasant blend of pine trees, open meadows and expansive views. Suitable for summer recreation or year around living. Community water available for camping, RV use, or for a cool shower after recreating in the surrounding Okanogan National Forest. Country store just a few minutes away. Great spot to watch the sun lose itself into the Cascades.

There is a lot more better than this, this is just an example for people.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
Foxen
* * *
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Foxen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:01 am

Whatever happens, I strongly recommend that you personally check out the property.

I know this may sound...stupid, or "duh" basic common sense, but I know investors or buyers who buy without looking or even really investigating the neighborhood.

Where I live, land is VERY tight... and time to time properties will be listed with 1 acre or 2 acres or even 10 acres + for roughly median range prices... which shoots up ALL sorts of red flags. When you actually check it out over 90% of the land is mountain...like STRAIGHT UP mountain...or uncultivated land, or part of a preserve. These days real estate listings here tend to be much much more upfront about important facts that were sometimes left out of the initial description.

Anyhow, I know this probably doesn't help, but just my contribution to the learning pool.

Fox

User avatar
NShel
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Re: Buying Land?

Post by NShel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm

Anianna wrote: One problem I have with the Ozarkland thing, though, is its not even a homeowner's association where owners can come together and have some input. It's a deed restriction. You buy the property, but the people you buy it from still control what you can do with it. Not only that, but they make it easy for them to take the property back if they don't like what you do with it. To buy from them, you have to sign over a Quit Claim Deed, which is basically signing your interest in the property back over to them for them to keep in escrow in their own possession. In other words, you give them the right to take your property back whenever they please and there is no third party protection for you. I would be extremely wary of purchasing property from these people.
Hi, I'm the owner of OzarkLand.com lest anyone think I'm not totally biased.

However, I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

We hold a quit-claim deed in escrow while money is owed on property because we sell for no down payment and it costs upward of $1000 to foreclose when a buyer doesn't pay, even if they only make one installment. This is not some fascist plan to take back your property if you don't cross your t's and dot your i's, it's a way to make land affordable to folks of about any income level. If you really have a problem with the q.c.d. we can forego it, if you want to make a substantial down payment of pay cash.

We don't use homeowner's associations because we've found that lots of people resent them. We have certain restrictions on each location, and you should check out the particular restrictions for each one. Generally, the idea behind our restrictions is to keep the areas clean and natural so that people want to buy there. (We did make restrictions requiring log homes at ONE location because we thought it would be cool to have an area that was only log homes, but to be honest, I wish we hadn't done that, because people that don't read too closely think that applies to all of our properties and we have lots of different locations.)

Unlike homeowner's associations, we lay down certain minimal rules that never change and then get out of the way.

We're not even vaguely interested in controlling your life, we want to sell land, and our philosophy for doing that is to make it as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

Possibly you.

Neil Shelton

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ineffableone » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm

NShel wrote:Hi, I'm the owner of OzarkLand.com lest anyone think I'm not totally biased.

However, I'd like to clarify a couple of things.
Thanks for coming on and posting this. I think it is good for potential land buyers to get as much info as they can, and you coming on to post further info on what your company is doing is helpful.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

krisirwin78
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all
Location: peru, indiana
Contact:

Re: Buying Land?

Post by krisirwin78 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:25 pm

hi we just bought a homestead for 19,000. 10 achers and 2 barns with a cylo. i think it is all about ware you live. oh and half is wooded and it came with a nice 3 bed 1 bath house. i have ran into these deals a lot around us.sorry about the spelling i know i suck

User avatar
Regulator
* * * * *
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: The mountains of Kansas, USA

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Regulator » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 pm

NShel wrote:Snip ~ ...We're not even vaguely interested in controlling your life, we want to sell land, and our philosophy for doing that is to make it as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

Possibly you.

Neil Shelton
Hey Neil, Nice to see you here. It’s good that the people here can hear it straight from you. Also cool that this thread has been bumped, a lot of good info here for people looking for land.

FWIW, The wife and I are very happy with the Ozark property we purchased from your company. Thanks again!

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17053
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Buying Land?

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 pm

NShel wrote:
Anianna wrote: One problem I have with the Ozarkland thing, though, is its not even a homeowner's association where owners can come together and have some input. It's a deed restriction. You buy the property, but the people you buy it from still control what you can do with it. Not only that, but they make it easy for them to take the property back if they don't like what you do with it. To buy from them, you have to sign over a Quit Claim Deed, which is basically signing your interest in the property back over to them for them to keep in escrow in their own possession. In other words, you give them the right to take your property back whenever they please and there is no third party protection for you. I would be extremely wary of purchasing property from these people.
Hi, I'm the owner of OzarkLand.com lest anyone think I'm not totally biased.

However, I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

We hold a quit-claim deed in escrow while money is owed on property because we sell for no down payment and it costs upward of $1000 to foreclose when a buyer doesn't pay, even if they only make one installment. This is not some fascist plan to take back your property if you don't cross your t's and dot your i's, it's a way to make land affordable to folks of about any income level. If you really have a problem with the q.c.d. we can forego it, if you want to make a substantial down payment of pay cash.

We don't use homeowner's associations because we've found that lots of people resent them. We have certain restrictions on each location, and you should check out the particular restrictions for each one. Generally, the idea behind our restrictions is to keep the areas clean and natural so that people want to buy there. (We did make restrictions requiring log homes at ONE location because we thought it would be cool to have an area that was only log homes, but to be honest, I wish we hadn't done that, because people that don't read too closely think that applies to all of our properties and we have lots of different locations.)

Unlike homeowner's associations, we lay down certain minimal rules that never change and then get out of the way.

We're not even vaguely interested in controlling your life, we want to sell land, and our philosophy for doing that is to make it as appealing as possible to as many people as possible.

Possibly you.

Neil Shelton
What is being described here is a restrictive covenant or a deed restriction. These are very common in many areas and not at all unusual.

Typically these restrictions are enforced by an HOA but in some places the local zoning departments enforce these restrictions. Different states and localities have different rules governing these restrictions and enforcement.

Before you buy any property as part of the diligence process you should check out zoning, easements, covenants, restrictions and anything else that may affect your property BEFORE you sign any purchase contract.

The seller is also required in most areas to disclose these restrictions to the buyer. So they should not be a surprise to any buyer.

Some common ones:
http://homebuying.about.com/cs/deedrest ... ctions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They can cover a lot of other things though. For instance in retirement community there may be a minimum age requirement and a prohibition against children living in the community more than a set number of days.

User avatar
Ye Olde Spook
*
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series
Location: Somewhere in the Land of Lincoln

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Ye Olde Spook » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Suck up to some living parasites AKA bankers. My dad, brother and I split three ways on a foreclosed farmette of 56.7 acres. The parasites cut almost all of the usable timber, but the second growth actually has made for excellent deer hunting, AKA protein sources. Wild turkey, squirrels, and bunnies are abundant. 1300 feet of river bottom has duckies and a year-round water. My very own SHTF bug out location and it is within 150 miles of home.

Bought the hobby farm I am currently living on in NE Illinois by going out on weekends and driving around. Found a FSBO that worked. 1st Farm Credit services is one of the few outfits in IL that will finance vacant land. I think they have other locations at least in the midwest. Decent financing.

Best,

Ye Olde Spook.

User avatar
doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark
Location: Western Slope, Colorado

Re: Buying Land?

Post by doitnstyle1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Image

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

doitnstyle1 wrote:I found this kind useful.

http://www.landsofamerica.com/landsconn ... arth-news/
Nice one, bookmarked that one. :D
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Benbrutal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm
Location: Unemployed, Near Dallas

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Benbrutal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:58 am

http://www.landwatch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good site that I am using to look for some land in Texas. Pick the state, it gives you a map of the counties in that state to look in.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

JustsayMo
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Buying Land?

Post by JustsayMo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am

My wife and had always dreamed of owning recreational property and casually looked for decades. Eventually we got ourselves into a better financial position and made the decision to actually find something to buy. It took us a few years of looking using vacation time to go exploring and getting familiar with the areas we liked and then focusing on those. I would constantly browse online listings and CL and whenever I'd have enough time off I'd take a stack of listings and go look at them.

Being patient and KNOWING exactly what we were after was key. Once we found a promising piece I would research the area wells, the septic systems, the use restrictions... When we finally did find our place we knew it was "it" moments after first seeing it. I did some due diligence and made an offer a few days later. We closed on the property within a month and we have not regretted it at all.

Image

We've since built a cabin there which makes visiting there very easy and comfortable and allows us to use the property year round.

Image

User avatar
offcamber
* * * * *
Posts: 1964
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: West By God Virginia

Re: Buying Land?

Post by offcamber » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:19 am

My wife and I spent a lot of time online at first, but found that the pictures always made the place look better than they were.

The one thing online shopping helped us do was pinpoint a large general area that we liked that would suit our needs: good hunting, minimal building restrictions/codes, decent length growing season, frequent rain, good soil.

From there we went to all the local realtors in that area and gave them our specif requirements including: price limit, cleared vs treed land, fenced for livestock, a secondary water source, and a safe area to set up a 100yd shooting range. This saved us from looking, they would call us when something popped up that met our requirements.

After about a year or so of looking, we ended up with a 35 acre property (20 cleared / 20 wooded) on a dead end road with a 3 bedroom farmhouse, large barn, tool shed, garden shed, tractor shed, hand dug well, spring, nut trees, and 100% fenced for cattle. Though I wanted to have a pond or a running stream, the most important requirements were met, and the property was beautiful, so we took the plunge and have never regretted it for a minute.

Farm Credit was the only place we found at the time that would put a note on the property. They understand rural property values and look at it for the land, its potential uses, what's cleared or not, percentage of fencing, etc.. They were great to us.

Things I recommend:
1. Have a 20% cash down and decent credit (home buying sucks since '08)
2. Make sure that there is decent size town w/ a home supply store within an hour of your property.. much farther than that gets old and expensive when towing larger supplies.
3. Know what you are looking for and stick to it, don't settle
4. Don't buy more than you can afford, upkeep on a rural property is significantly more expensive and must be budgeted for
5. Start buying tools and other farmsteading stuff before you get there.
6. Employment opportunities in areas where land values are low are usually limited. Be prepared to get by with less.
7. Try to meet your neighbors before you buy. We were lucky to move into an area where the local folks accepted us outsiders with open arms, other areas you may not be so lucky.
7. Homesteading is very hard work, but extremely rewarding at the same time. If you don't like hard work, killing pests/animals, getting hurt/dirty etc. this lifestyle probably isn't for you.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

offcamber wrote:My wife and I spent a lot of time online at first, but found that the pictures always made the place look better than they were.

The one thing online shopping helped us do was pinpoint a large general area that we liked that would suit our needs: good hunting, minimal building restrictions/codes, decent length growing season, frequent rain, good soil.

From there we went to all the local realtors in that area and gave them our specif requirements including: price limit, cleared vs treed land, fenced for livestock, a secondary water source, and a safe area to set up a 100yd shooting range. This saved us from looking, they would call us when something popped up that met our requirements.

After about a year or so of looking, we ended up with a 35 acre property (20 cleared / 20 wooded) on a dead end road with a 3 bedroom farmhouse, large barn, tool shed, garden shed, tractor shed, hand dug well, spring, nut trees, and 100% fenced for cattle. Though I wanted to have a pond or a running stream, the most important requirements were met, and the property was beautiful, so we took the plunge and have never regretted it for a minute.

Farm Credit was the only place we found at the time that would put a note on the property. They understand rural property values and look at it for the land, its potential uses, what's cleared or not, percentage of fencing, etc.. They were great to us.

Things I recommend:
1. Have a 20% cash down and decent credit (home buying sucks since '08)
2. Make sure that there is decent size town w/ a home supply store within an hour of your property.. much farther than that gets old and expensive when towing larger supplies.
3. Know what you are looking for and stick to it, don't settle
4. Don't buy more than you can afford, upkeep on a rural property is significantly more expensive and must be budgeted for
5. Start buying tools and other farmsteading stuff before you get there.
6. Employment opportunities in areas where land values are low are usually limited. Be prepared to get by with less.
7. Try to meet your neighbors before you buy. We were lucky to move into an area where the local folks accepted us outsiders with open arms, other areas you may not be so lucky.
7. Homesteading is very hard work, but extremely rewarding at the same time. If you don't like hard work, killing pests/animals, getting hurt/dirty etc. this lifestyle probably isn't for you.
Some very good advice, thanks for sharing.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Perkidanman
* *
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Perkidanman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Man, I wish I could find some decent land out here without breaking the bank. In Colorado, if you want anything that has water on/near it you pay premium.
The area I want to live in (good schools, near nat'l park but still close to enough to the city we can go out occasionally) is in tiny little .7 acre parcels with HOAs and the like all for around $30-100k. :cry:

User avatar
Xale D
* *
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Northern VA, USA

Re: Buying Land?

Post by Xale D » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Perkidanman wrote:Man, I wish I could find some decent land out here without breaking the bank. In Colorado, if you want anything that has water on/near it you pay premium.
The area I want to live in (good schools, near nat'l park but still close to enough to the city we can go out occasionally) is in tiny little .7 acre parcels with HOAs and the like all for around $30-100k. :cry:
Dude! :shock: .7 acre for up to $100K? I'd take that in a HEART BEAT! Here in the shadow of the Nation's Capitol you have a hard time finding a TOWNHOUSE for that price! We're looking 50 miles away in order to find around an acre for less than $200K, and those are foreclosures that should be bulldozed.

So, yeah, everything is relative. You want to have it all? You can get it, but you'll have to pay for it. :evil:

Good luck on your hunt, though. I've been trying to buy for almost a year now, and been within sight of closing two different times when everything has fallen apart for one reason or another.
--
Xale D
I am an assistant, I assist.

User avatar
offcamber
* * * * *
Posts: 1964
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: West By God Virginia

Re: Buying Land?

Post by offcamber » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Perkidanman wrote:Man, I wish I could find some decent land out here without breaking the bank. In Colorado, if you want anything that has water on/near it you pay premium.
The area I want to live in (good schools, near nat'l park but still close to enough to the city we can go out occasionally) is in tiny little .7 acre parcels with HOAs and the like all for around $30-100k. :cry:
That is why we moved from CO to WV. I lived in Durango for 7 years where median home price for a shoebox in town was $400K.

We ran the numbers over and over again, and as much I we loved the southwest, there was no way we would ever be able to afford a homestead there.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Buying Land?

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:38 pm

location, location, location!

Being flexible in where you get land can be a good thing. Limiting where you look means you have to limit your possibilities.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Buying Land?

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:30 am

ineffableone wrote:location, location, location!

Being flexible in where you get land can be a good thing. Limiting where you look means you have to limit your possibilities.
Well, yes and no. For instance, while looking for a farm, I have certain criteria it must meet, besides the obvious ones of zoning, distance to town/from neighbors, etc. Like the water quality/supply/depth, and I'm really trying to make sure it has water running THROUGH it, year round, not just under it. Meeting my criteria, I actually maximize my possibilities, not limit them.

On the other hand, water is where it is, so that DOES limit my options as to which places I can look at, even if the price is a steal. If the water table is either measured in miles :shock: or listed as "above ground", then we have a problem...

So, yes, it may limit the NUMBER of properties as being possible locations, but it can also 'filter' properties by the ability to support what you want to do on them. If you want a beachfront vacation home, you don't look in the mountains, any more than you'd shop Manhattan for a hunting cabin.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”