Questions for all you coffee gurus

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CB4

Questions for all you coffee gurus

Post by CB4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

I want to knock off the QT trips every morning and start making my own coffee. My favorite is their French Vanilla Cappuccino, so I'm looking to replicate that at home if possible. I dont need a gourmet press, or bean grinder or anything like that, my tastes are not that sophisticated. :lol:

I'm lazy, know nothing about coffee, and usually in a rush in the morning, so I need a system that is simple and fast.

I am looking for suggestions on a maker, and coffees that I can make single serve, preferably setup the night before, and just put into my insulated mug and go in the morning.

I dont want to spend a fortune, but I will pay for a system that will last and produce good, consistent coffee easily.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
‎"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cauldron

Re: Questions for all you coffee gurus

Post by cauldron » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Buy the coffee pre-ground.
There are a lot of coffee makers with clocks and timers. Some are around $25. Set and go to bed.
Flavored creamer in the am.

There are a few coffee makers that will brew directly into a travel mug, again with a timer.

There are other coffee makers that will store the whole beans, and grind as needed...
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

CB4

Post by CB4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 pm

I guess one of my questions is, do I need to buy an Espresso/Cappuccino maker to make good cappuccino, or can I go with a regular coffee maker and use cappuccino mix?
‎"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm

CB4 wrote:I guess one of my questions is, do I need to buy an Espresso/Cappuccino maker to make good cappuccino, or can I go with a regular coffee maker and use cappuccino mix?
You can get a french press and use Espresso grounds.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:37 pm

A Moka pot does a very nice espresso on the stove. And it has the added benefit of being able to be used while camping, Etc. I have 2 of them and a large Nissan Stainless French Press, but definitely prefer the mokapot. I have a Bialetti 9 cup model that is awesome, and a cheap chinese 6 cup that works pretty good too.

As far as flavoring goes, you can buy syrups from Costplus among other places...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... E8Q8wIwAA#
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Cappuccino isnt coffee, dont kid yourself!!!

I drink mine black, and always have. I just recently got into using a french press though. I would suggest you take a look at that. And, get a grinder too-either a hand crank, or electric. Then, use good, whole beans, and grind as needed. The taste of coffee rests entirely in the beans-and, to get the best taste, a french press works best. Now, if you go this route, here is my suggestion: put the kettle on. Measure & grind your beans. put the grounds into the french press. Add water once it STARTS to boil-not a full rolling boil, but just before. put the top on the french press, and let it sit for 5 minutes. You know it has steeped the correct amount of time when you apply ONLY hand pressure, and the press drops. If there is too much resistance, it isnt brewed yet.
I know it sounds like a lot of work, but prep, to include heating water, is only about 10 minutes. And, you will not have a better cup of coffee than you get from a french press.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:45 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Cappuccino isnt coffee, dont kid yourself!!!

I drink mine black, and always have. I just recently got into using a french press though. I would suggest you take a look at that. And, get a grinder too-either a hand crank, or electric. Then, use good, whole beans, and grind as needed. The taste of coffee rests entirely in the beans-and, to get the best taste, a french press works best. Now, if you go this route, here is my suggestion: put the kettle on. Measure & grind your beans. put the grounds into the french press. Add water once it STARTS to boil-not a full rolling boil, but just before. put the top on the french press, and let it sit for 5 minutes. You know it has steeped the correct amount of time when you apply ONLY hand pressure, and the press drops. If there is too much resistance, it isnt brewed yet.
I know it sounds like a lot of work, but prep, to include heating water, is only about 10 minutes. And, you will not have a better cup of coffee than you get from a french press.
A french press is a great way to brew up coffee on a camping trip / zombie apocalypse bugout as well. I won't be worth a damn for zombie bustin' unless I've had my morning joe...
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:48 pm

My daily quaff at home is french press. If I need a fix at work, I'll have a waitron make me an espresso.

If you want to stockpile coffee beans, buy green beans and roast them as needed. Green beans stay good indefinitely, roasted beans start to go bad as soon as they cool off. I use a hot air popcorn popper to roast, but obviously that only works while the electricity is flowing.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Post by 1776 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Keurig coffe makers. They have hundreds of "k-cups" choices. They are single serve.No filter to throw out,no mess.If by chance the flavor you like isn't in a k-cup,they make a filter that you install and you add your coffee. They also make tea and hot chocolate. I got my keruig two years ago for Christmas and haven't stopped using it since. You can find k-cups on ebay.I also get mine at http://www.bigcatcoffees.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I promise that you will find a flavor that you like. The least expensive Keurig coffee maker is about $100.00,but IMHO is so worth it. The only downside is since there is no pot,unless you brew it into a travel mug,it won't stay hot for long.But since I drink mine as soon as it is done,its no big deal. With regular coffee makers,I would think I'd want two or three cups,and end up only drinking one.All that coffe wasted. Plus,I have a habit of brewing coffee too strong.With my K-cups,that problem is no more. Check 'em out. Sorry for sounding like a commerical,but I just can't say enough about my Keurig.
There's always some motherfucker trying to ice skate uphill...

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 pm

Do you want a milk drink or coffee? Big difference. Most of the "coffee" drinks people buy are just milk drinks flavored with coffee. If you want the coffee, then lots of easy options; Mr. Coffee brewer, espresso, french press, etc. It's easy to add flavorings like "french vanilla". Either from whole beans or pre ground. Lots of choices.
If you want the milk drinks, I can't help you, I'm a coffee snob.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 pm

I personally like using a Melita cone, but that's mostly because I'm a cheap* bastard that takes it black anyhow. It does make a really nice cup of coffee though, even if it takes more time than most other means.

*cheap as far as the means of making it, I quite often roast my own, and good green beans usually cost a bit more than good roasted beans. I shamelessly admit I'm a coffee snob...

CB4

Post by CB4 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 pm

I'd like something versatile that I can experiment with....I'm certainly a coffee newb. I think the single cup makers that take the premeasured cups like the Keurig might be what I'm looking for as long as there are a lot of flavors to choose from.

How long does the Keurig take to make a cup? Do you clean it after each use?

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I use this - love it - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... XDQ6PAGPXE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also have this for back up

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:55 am

Honestly if it is quickie mart "coffee" just get powdered instant mix french vanilla cappuccino. You won't be able to tell the difference. You can heat up some water in the microwave or on the stove top. It will be five times cheaper than the quickie mart and taste exactly the same. Here is 100+ cups for $27:

http://www.amazon.com/Folgers-Cappuccin ... B000F1PR8E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

USMZ

Post by USMZ » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am

Check out this http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ss&x=0&y=0

Used one of these for years for my morning drive to work. An Awesome way to get my brew. Just choose your preferred bean - grind, add water and milk (not necessary) and go.
"There is no substitute for violence of action and volume of fire." Otto Skorzeny.

CB4

Post by CB4 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Tassimo Brewbot?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tassimo-T20-S ... k/14978072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Dawgboy wrote:A Moka pot does a very nice espresso on the stove. And it has the added benefit of being able to be used while camping, Etc. I have 2 of them and a large Nissan Stainless French Press, but definitely prefer the mokapot. I have a Bialetti 9 cup model that is awesome, and a cheap chinese 6 cup that works pretty good too.

As far as flavoring goes, you can buy syrups from Costplus among other places...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... E8Q8wIwAA#

We have one of those here and it's proven VERY popular both at home and on our chapter camping trips.

It's pretty quick and easy to use, also.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

taz-hein
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later

Post by taz-hein » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 am

I was where you are about 7 years ago. QT is the what I miss most about the mid-west. I loved their (crap)uccino Went to europe. Ordered a cafe au lait, fresh made espresso, steamed milk. really made me want more out of coffee.

go to the coffeekid.com

The coffee you want is espresso. get a machine. The creamy part is steamed milk. Fresh roasted coffee beans. Roasted within a week. but not those overcooked black/oily beans they sell at starbucks. it's called the ritual: pre-heat the cup. Grind your own right before you make it. pack the portafilter tight, so you get only two shot glasses after 30 seconds; The key is fresh beans ground and packed to the perfect combination of moisture, density, temperature and pressure to bring out all the right oils from the coffee but leave the bitters behind. espresso that has thick crema on top. steam the milk to frothy perfection (160 degrees). pour it in so the crema and the froth mix and you get the little lait art that looks like a leaf.

buzzbomb will leave your tongue happy.

take the time to learn to make it right and you'll never look back. but you will still love QT because if your total is $13.54 they have 46 cents in their hand when they take your money.

Post by 1776 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 am

CB4 wrote:I'd like something versatile that I can experiment with....I'm certainly a coffee newb. I think the single cup makers that take the premeasured cups like the Keurig might be what I'm looking for as long as there are a lot of flavors to choose from.

How long does the Keurig take to make a cup? Do you clean it after each use?

You fill the resivor with water and attach it to the Keurig. Once you turn the power on it takes about a minute to heat up. Once the K-cup is inserted and you hit the brew button,it takes about 10-15 seconds to get a cup of coffee. No cleaning after each use,thats whats so great about it. Just throw away the cup. If you install the little basket filter to brew your own coffee,then yeah you would wanna rinse that out,but I just stick with the cups. There is a warning light that comes on when you need to descale your Keurig.(which has yet to turn on since I've had mine-going on two years)What I do is add a spoonful of coffe machine cleaner to the water and brew the whole thing out,then add more water and brew that through.Dosen't take long at all.What I also like is the water resivor is attached/detached from the machine,so there is no water sloshing around inside the actual coffee maker. And yeah,there are tons of k cups to choose from.They also sell small boxes of sample packs so you don't have to buy a larger box of a flavor you've never had before.

CB4

Post by CB4 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks for all the info, guys! I have some shopping to do now :D

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm

One more idea. If you decide to go with a regular coffee maker, see if Gevalia is still doing their free offer. At one time you could get a free coffee maker if you bought a very minimal amount of their coffee. You don't have to keep getting coffee shipped to you, it's easy to cancel or it was when I did it anyway.

The coffee is barely drinkable but the coffee maker is pretty nice and you can't beat the price. Toss the coffee or keep it in the freezer for emergency use.

We got ours at least 5-7 years ago and it's still dripping along. Uses #4 paper filters, has a pre-set timer and auto shut-off of the warmer plate. It makes a decent cup of drip coffee if we buy decent quality beans.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Post by 1776 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:29 pm

CB4 wrote:Thanks for all the info, guys! I have some shopping to do now :D

Fo sho homie. I can't comment on other brands out there,just the Keurig.Let us know what you end up choosing.

bearonautica

Post by bearonautica » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 am

DannusMaximus wrote:
oldsoldier wrote:Cappuccino isnt coffee, dont kid yourself!!!

A french press is a great way to brew up coffee on a camping trip / zombie apocalypse bugout as well. I won't be worth a damn for zombie bustin' unless I've had my morning joe...
I have to agree about the french press. IMO it's the best. You can cut some of the work out of it with an electric water kettle. You can boil water in about a minute.
http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-19967- ... 08&sr=8-13

Once I've poured the water in, I let it sit for a minute, then stir the grounds to release the oils and other yummy goodness. I then throw the top on and let it steep for another three minutes before plunging.
USMZ wrote:Check out this http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ss&x=0&y=0

Used one of these for years for my morning drive to work. An Awesome way to get my brew. Just choose your preferred bean - grind, add water and milk (not necessary) and go.
These are great as well. Especially the Bodum. Some of the others will give you a little "breakfast" with your first and last sip. I have found these to be especially useful when there is a water cooler at work. You can replicate your excellent coffee with the benefit of having your own grounds and the instant hot water from the water cooler. Say goodbye to burnt and stale office coffee.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:10 pm

I like the forum at http://coffeegeek.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Might want to give it a once-over.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”