Zippos

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Andy_Cannon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Redneck Zombies, American Zombie, Day and Dawn of the Dead, I Am Legend, Quarintine.

Zippos

Post by Andy_Cannon » Mon May 10, 2010 6:42 pm

After a little bit of experimenting, I've discovered that Zippo's, while going through more fuel than a Dodge Challenger, can run off a plethora of things.

Axe body spray, gasoline, trans fluid, antifreeze, diesel, crude oil, WD-40, vegtable oil, etc. etc.

It WILL RUN. Not well. but it will. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS carry extra bits and pieces if you carry a Zippo. I would suggest a backup Bic.
The only time I will ever haul my ass outta bed before 8:30am is to shoot an animal, bug out, or have sex.

BigDaddyTX

Re: Zippos

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm

I've used cologne in the past when I forgot my fluid, but it was nasty lighting a cigarette with it, and the smell never really left the lighter after that.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon May 10, 2010 10:09 pm

I've had friends that used naptha because it was cheaper.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Also, pack it in something air-tight or it'll be dry when you need it. I have my zippo(s) in one of those "pocket medic" waterproof pouches, and It's gone a year without needing refilling, as opposed to like a week if left out like my other one.

It'd probably run off of moonshine or high proof alcohol, not that youd want to waste that :lol:
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Tue May 11, 2010 7:54 pm

One thing to keep in mind if you carry it in your pocket is that they may have a tendency to leak. I found that out the hard way when I was 13 years old in the middle of a church service :shock:

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Wait a minutes... antifreeze?
Sure it will burn, but not that easily. And where are you getting crude oil?

Machete Matt

Post by Machete Matt » Tue May 11, 2010 8:27 pm

SimonZayne wrote: And where are you getting crude oil?

Gulf of mexico? :lol:

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue May 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Here's an awesome thread on lighters in general, and even an experiment to see how long a sealed Zippo can hold fluid.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2266&hilit
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Andy_Cannon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Redneck Zombies, American Zombie, Day and Dawn of the Dead, I Am Legend, Quarintine.

Post by Andy_Cannon » Tue May 11, 2010 10:17 pm

SimonZayne wrote:Wait a minutes... antifreeze?
Sure it will burn, but not that easily. And where are you getting crude oil?
I know some folks.

Yes, anti-freeze is a bitch to burn, but, oh, it will.
The only time I will ever haul my ass outta bed before 8:30am is to shoot an animal, bug out, or have sex.

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Tue May 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Machete Matt wrote:
SimonZayne wrote: And where are you getting crude oil?

Gulf of mexico? :lol:
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Tue May 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm not too keen on the idea of lighting a smoke with stuff like antifreeze and axe spray :?

SimonZayne

Post by SimonZayne » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Like I said, I know anti-freeze burns, but I don't see it lighting in a Zippo.
Now I'm going to have to try this.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Wed May 12, 2010 12:51 am

I thought diesel was a PITA to ignite which is why most diesels use glow-plugs? It's good to know they can run on a lot of common fluids though. WTH is in AXE? :lol:

Where are you guys getting the fluid, flints, and wicks? I've been holding off on getting a zippo because my walmart doesn't have them and the hazard shipping charges are too expensive. (PM anyone?)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 am

diesel is harder to ignite than gasoline, but by no means difficult. We used to start bonfires with it all the time.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 pm

crypto wrote:diesel is harder to ignite than gasoline, but by no means difficult. We used to start bonfires with it all the time.
The lighting of diesel can be made even easier by using quality flints that thro a good spark. I've used the cheaper ones before, with just regular lighter fluid, and they barely throw enough spark to catch under normal circumstances. If you have the money, get a quality zippo as well. You don't see them often, but you can still get milled brass "made in the USA" zippos. They just cost an extra $40. I've had the cheaper line "made in china" zippos (yes, they were zippo brand) regularly break at the hinge.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Wed May 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Molon Labe wrote:
crypto wrote:diesel is harder to ignite than gasoline, but by no means difficult. We used to start bonfires with it all the time.
The lighting of diesel can be made even easier by using quality flints that thro a good spark. I've used the cheaper ones before, with just regular lighter fluid, and they barely throw enough spark to catch under normal circumstances. If you have the money, get a quality zippo as well. You don't see them often, but you can still get milled brass "made in the USA" zippos. They just cost an extra $40. I've had the cheaper line "made in china" zippos (yes, they were zippo brand) regularly break at the hinge.
Good info, I thought all Zippo's where US made. I'll have to double check the label before I buy.
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed May 12, 2010 7:00 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:I thought diesel was a PITA to ignite which is why most diesels use glow-plugs? It's good to know they can run on a lot of common fluids though. WTH is in AXE? :lol:

Where are you guys getting the fluid, flints, and wicks? I've been holding off on getting a zippo because my walmart doesn't have them and the hazard shipping charges are too expensive. (PM anyone?)
Axe has butane in it. If you make a "Blowtorch" with it it will melt a friggin pop can
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:I thought diesel was a PITA to ignite which is why most diesels use glow-plugs? It's good to know they can run on a lot of common fluids though. WTH is in AXE? :lol:

Are you sure your walmart doesnt have all the flints, wicks and fluid behind the register with the cigarettes? Ive never been in a walmart yet that doesnt have zippo stuff.

Pretty much every gas station and drugstore has them too, around here.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

psychomajortom
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead
Day of the Dead

Post by psychomajortom » Wed May 12, 2010 9:08 pm

As an aside, where can one find a good U.S. Army- themed Zippo?
ozwyn wrote:"God does not punish us, he gives us challenges and opportunities to kick ass. If God is angry, it is because we are pissing and moaning and whining and not kicking ass. Go forth, and kick the shit out of the zombies, amen."
DavePAL84 wrote: I'm a floral dress wearing, mojito drinking kinda gal.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 pm

psychomajortom wrote:As an aside, where can one find a good U.S. Army- themed Zippo?
You might have to order one online. Or ask the guys at your local VFW.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 pm

crypto wrote:
Are you sure your walmart doesnt have all the flints, wicks and fluid behind the register with the cigarettes? Ive never been in a walmart yet that doesnt have zippo stuff.

Pretty much every gas station and drugstore has them too, around here.
I've asked at Walmart but, they never know what I'm talking about. :? I usually shop at United because of Walmart's customer service so I've only gotten a couple looks, they aren't on their website either. Even the novelty lighters are difficult to find at gas stations, people where complaining about them looking like toys and a lot of the stores won't even keep them in stock anymore.

I'm in Tx, I'll have to check drugstores and some of the smaller farm/general stores that sell tobacco goods this week.

anotheroldfart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell, they're all good.

Post by anotheroldfart » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 pm

psychomajortom wrote:As an aside, where can one find a good U.S. Army- themed Zippo?
You might want to check this site out. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... &Brand=121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have purchased a few Zippos from them, and all of them are clearly stamped Bradford PA. Made in USA. They have a good selection of themed lighters.
Murphy's Military Corolary #1
Remember, your weapon system was provided by the lowest bidder...

wanderingwaldo

Post by wanderingwaldo » Thu May 13, 2010 1:18 pm

I have Zippos, wicks, flints, and fuel in my BOB. I keep the Zippo folded inside of aluminum foil taped with gorilla tape, seems to keep it's fluid without degrading the tape seal. Plastic will degrade from naphtha.
Mere placation of the ordinary prevents one from becoming extra-ordinary.

The world is an onion made of spiderwebs.

"I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."
-Duke Leto Atredies

Andy_Cannon

Post by Andy_Cannon » Fri May 14, 2010 10:08 am

Axe is a colone/bodyspray. It is aerosol and REEKS!! If you want a Zippo, try the local Army-Navy store, than a local smoke shop. Also, I carry a chrome knock off of a zippo. It was 5 dollars and is just as good.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”