Career choices for an outdoorsman?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

skydawg2012
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Zombieland, Land of the dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, OMG ZOMBIELAND!!! LOLZ

Career choices for an outdoorsman?

Post by skydawg2012 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Hey guys,
So I was wondering what kind of career I should look into that has a good job demand, a fair salary (preferably at least 50k) and lets me spend tons of time outdoors and traveling. I has looked into being a forest ranger but they do polygraph tests and about 3 years ago I made the mistake of getting involved with marijuana although that is a mistake in my past now.

So I've been looking at marine biology(not enough job demand) wildlife biologist, environmental biology, environmentalist, zoology, and sorta looked into geology although I'm not big on rocks. The most important thing is the ability to travel. I want the chance to be in the jungle one month and the desert the next and the arctic the month after that. I had looked into military service for a long time but I recently got engaged.

So if you want to point out any positives of the careers mentioned above or better yet, if you have another idea lemme know!

P.S. I got to an early college high school and this summer I will graduate with my HS diploma and an associates in science.
ironraven wrote:Which CFP-90? The little patrol pack, or the holy-shit-he-has-a-midget-with-a-minigun sized one? :lol:

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Re: Career choices for an outdoorsman?

Post by elkhills » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:25 pm

If you really want to travel the world, at an entry level position, I'm afraid you're gonna have to "Be All You Can Be".

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:28 pm

You haven't graduated high school, and you're engaged?

Good luck.

Sorry, I'm with the previous poster... military.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:52 pm

I joined the Army, and all I saw was a bunch of trees and dirt.
Peace Corps is an option to consider. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the pot history. :lol:
Anthropology?
Hunting guide?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I think what will hang you up the hardest is your demand for 50k a year.

Spin off of hunting guide... I'm always reading about "pest control" for violent aminals like cougar infestations, deer control in urban environments (would have to be an archer) and other such professional hunting opportunities. With enough networking, you could probably get going pretty well in that trade.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:32 pm

if you want to be a forest ranger or game warden go for it. they are like any other LE agency and have a time limit on drug use. 3 years is ancient history. and as long as you admit to it on the application they can't hold being honest against you. most agencies know that if they eliminated applicants that made mistakes when they were younger they would never fill positions. as long as you don't lie, don't have a reoccuring history of drug ABUSE (not use), and can pass a drug test now your good to go. everyone has a few things they wish they could do over. NEVER let that hold you back from what you want to do or you will settle. and you will never be good at what you do if your not happy with what you do. a fat bank account is nice, but I would rather wake up in the morning and WANT to go to work!

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Several of my friends skipped the Ranger/Warden route due to the hours and the lack of time in the outdoors due to the paperwork side of the job. All of them became foresters. I believe the new term is Conservation Scientist . All of them either work for a timber compant directly or for an independant contractor. Their job in a nutshell: look a property to buy/lease/harvest timber from, supervise the replanting of said timber, and manage the regrowth process. The youngest is 25 and is making 45-55 k plus bonuses, the other three are 40ish and are all making 95k plus. three of them have 4 year degrees and the fourth has a co-op degree from a local community college. The timber company pays for his school and after he does a 5 year stint with their training program he gets a BS from Va. Tech. From what i understand the retirement rate for this work is outpacing the new guys coming in. The only problem though is that if you don't live in an area with a heavy timber areas you will need to move. if you want a more secure route with a little less pay you can go the government route in the same positions. The best part for them is that during hunting season, they are always "working" in the field.

Bureau of Labor Statisitcs is always a good snapshot of any job the related link is below;

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos048.htm#earnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Marijuana trouble age 14-15, I think your ok just be honest. I would say join the military if you can. That will give you plenty of time and skills and job oppurtunities. Being military sometimes gives you a boost getting a gov job.
Get educated, or you could just end a golf course greens keeper. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 pm

wagdhead wrote:Several of my friends skipped the Ranger/Warden route due to the hours and the lack of time in the outdoors due to the paperwork side of the job. All of them became foresters. I believe the new term is Conservation Scientist . All of them either work for a timber compant directly or for an independant contractor. Their job in a nutshell: look a property to buy/lease/harvest timber from, supervise the replanting of said timber, and manage the regrowth process. The youngest is 25 and is making 45-55 k plus bonuses, the other three are 40ish and are all making 95k plus. three of them have 4 year degrees and the fourth has a co-op degree from a local community college. The timber company pays for his school and after he does a 5 year stint with their training program he gets a BS from Va. Tech. From what i understand the retirement rate for this work is outpacing the new guys coming in. The only problem though is that if you don't live in an area with a heavy timber areas you will need to move. if you want a more secure route with a little less pay you can go the government route in the same positions. The best part for them is that during hunting season, they are always "working" in the field.

Bureau of Labor Statisitcs is always a good snapshot of any job the related link is below;

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos048.htm#earnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This!

The U.S.Corps or Engineers is also hiring foresters for its land all over the country. Every job you are looking at would be so much easier to get with (or even requires) a 4 year degree. Go to a specialty school for forestry or possibly criminal justice in some cases), and then take your pick.

Good luck!

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I just typed outdoors in the Keyword search field of USAJOBS.com and it came back with 503 hits with jobs paying from $10.00 an hour to 50,000 a year. Lots of Park Ranger jobs but also tree workers, biologists, cooks and heavy equipment operators.

Don't worry about blazing up a few blunts three years ago, admit it and move on. Our last three commanders in chief all did a little experimentation, so they won't hold it against you if you did too.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: Our last three commanders in chief all did a little experimentation, so they won't hold it against you if you did too.
hahaha yea, because everyone knows the President is the LAST person to go by a "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. ;)

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:16 pm

DUH! TOWER CLIMBER. Outdoors ALL the time, and if you want to travel, it's DEFINITELY for you. However, if you want to see your family more than once a month.... :?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

MrMendigo
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Army of Darkness, and The Evil Dead,
Shawn of the dead, ect.

Post by MrMendigo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:34 pm

http://online.onetcenter.org/find/green?n=1&g=Go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow the link, pick a career, and tailor your education to fit.

Yay, 300! :lol:

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 am

Moved to Self Sufficient Living.

Rigor Tortoise

Post by Rigor Tortoise » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 am

You could check out G.I.S. Geographic Information Systems. While there are a lot of desk jobs in the G.I.S. field, somebody has to collect the data! Field data collection takes on many forms from counting animals in the wild to assessing site conditions at pre-determined locations (example highway assets inventorying) to mapping roads. The list is long and the demand for data is huge in the information age.

I worked in the field for a year going house to house and traveling every road visible from aerial imagery in the development of data for E-911 and address creation in a rural county. I worked hard, did a little off-roading, learned a lot, enjoyed the scenery, met a lot of nice people, and only got dog bitten once!! The following two years for me managing data was a little less enjoyable at times for a number of reasons. If your not turned off by digital nature of the system and the tools used in the field, like maps, and enjoy stomping through streams or the urban jungle then it might be a match for you. Also, surveying might be an option for you.

In short: GIS, GPS, Cartography, Digital imagery (also aerial photography) and Land Surveying are closely related and sometimes thrown together under the study of Geomatics. Computer science and mathematics are prevalent, but the level of complexity depends on your specific field of study. For example, you can be GIS guy that is essentially a software programmer with an understanding of spatial data or a mathematician that works on the complex transforms for digital imagery. But in my experience, most have a background in a little of each and then work toward their own strengths and interests in an ever changing relatively young industry.

Ken
Hoppy wrote: we can work by pound, or slices. dont tell me "just enough for 2 sandwichs" im not you. i make manly sandwiches. you cant handle my sandwiches

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 am

jamoni wrote: Anthropology?
Good luck making 50K a year with that, lol. I was an Anthro/Archaeolohy major.. did it for a bunch of years and bailed b/c the money never came around.

Fun job, long hours, low pay, but you are definitely outside a lot.. including inclement and freezing cold weather. And the people in the biz are awesome.. they didn't call us archaholics or alcohologists for nothing. :wink:

skydawg2012
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, Zombieland, Land of the dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later, OMG ZOMBIELAND!!! LOLZ

Post by skydawg2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 am

Well I've finished all my HS classes and am just waiting for graduation, almost done with my associates. I really wanna get my bachelors degree. I think my dream job would be going to Brevard and getting their "outdoor experiential education degree" and work as an outdoor guide in the canadian rockies but 1. Brevard is a private school and the bill & melinda gates foundation will pay for me to go to a state supported college for 2 years free. And 2. I'm not sure how easy it would be to start a business or find a job.

I like the idea of being a forester, maybe ranger. Thanks for the drug abuse info.

What could I do with a bachelor's degree in Environmental Science with a minor in sustainability from UNC Chapel Hill? What I was thinking is that if I get a job where I travel a whole lot then I could supplement it with some photo-journalism (photography is a favorite hobby for me). The only thing I worry about with those degrees is the availability of jobs.
ironraven wrote:Which CFP-90? The little patrol pack, or the holy-shit-he-has-a-midget-with-a-minigun sized one? :lol:

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 am

skydawg2012 wrote:
What could I do with a bachelor's degree in Environmental Science with a minor in sustainability from UNC Chapel Hill?
North Carolina Game Warden
North Carolina Forestry Dept

skydawg2012

Post by skydawg2012 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:34 am

Okay maybe I should rephrase my question, who are the people you see on Discovery channel studying turtles in the galapagos and tucans in the amazon?

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:41 am

skydawg2012 wrote:Okay maybe I should rephrase my question, who are the people you see on Discovery channel studying turtles in the galapagos and tucans in the amazon?
Lucky bastards who did a shit load of office work and bitch work for the previous people in National Geographic before clawing their way into an opportunity to do that.

Who also probably don't make much cash.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 am

The problem with the marine biology/wildlife biologist/environmental biologist route is that there are VERY few "hands on" jobs available. Most of the jobs are teaching jobs or "be a lackey to a REAL biologist for $9.00 an hour".

Honestly, I'd say Forestry is your best bet. There are plenty of private companies to work for, and I knew some guys in college who were pretty much baked ALL THE TIME that are park rangers now, so I don't think it's that big of a deal :lol:
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Banka87

Post by Banka87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:47 pm

As others said, if you can pass a drug test now I wouldn't worry about it.
JamesCannon wrote:So how much did you pay for those women?

I'm curious where to go to own some women, myself.

cjm3fl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), of course the Original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by cjm3fl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 am

skydawg2012 wrote:Okay maybe I should rephrase my question, who are the people you see on Discovery channel studying turtles in the galapagos and tucans in the amazon?
A better option might be the person behind the camera.
Those nature shows might have one "host", but there are a few people in the crew that travel along with.

Most of the stuff shot in "Planet Earth" and "Blue Planet" series were done by camera crews with narrators added later.
Just a thought.
Favorite bumper stickers...."Yeah, But I'm in Front of YOU !!! "
and "Welcome To Florida...Now Go The Hell Home"

Runs with Scissors

Don't Lead Me Into Temptation....I Know The Way

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I pretty much wanted the same thing coming out of high school.

Realistically though, those are going to be tenured doctorates with research grants, and/or their post-grad research assistants who are working toward their doctorate. They're not making money doing those studies, they make their money when they come back and teach or maybe doing lecture series' if their research is that "good". Possibly supplementing that by serving as "experts" or "consultants" for businesses or as talking heads. And even then, most of their time is not spent on a tropical island sipping margs and looking at frogs. You will find TNSTAAFL. However to find yourself doing research like that, say during your undergrad or post-grad years is very realistic and attainable, it would just require some initiative, proven aptitude and a little hard work on your part.

As far as future job markets in the biology/science fields. There is already an established and healthy (growing) market surrounding the government and it's requirements and regulations, which those areas of study would generally put you in the running for. As for the travel thing, I would advise you to do it when you're young, because once you start looking at having kids, it may not be so appealing/viable.

I have an environmental science (emphasized in biology) degree and for the past 3 years I worked for a private consulting firm. Which, while I had an office job (and was glad for it), our field guys traveled pretty much the entire U.S. and occaisionally (a handfull of guys for a couple projects a year) would be picked to go to a job in Canada or the Dominican Republic or Malaysia or South America. Granted anywhere they traveled they were on-site at the armpits of these locales, but it was travel and it was outdoors.

The Gov't jobs, Forestry, GIS, Game and Parks and what not are very competitive fields (there's a LOT of ppl who want the job you want) and you won't hit your desired salary for a few years, but it's not a bad way to angle your education. Study what interests you, and if it's truly what you want to do, the job will follow.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”