Novel cabin design

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bug Out Bill

Novel cabin design

Post by Bug Out Bill » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:53 pm

I'd like to share my low cost efficient cabin design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66CdHYbrYo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pudding7

Re: Novel cabin design

Post by pudding7 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:46 am

Why complicate the roof design? Why not just two sides instead of four? I guess it's the same amount of materials, but it seems needlessly complicated. Also seems like you lose some storage capacity in the ceiling/loft area.

flyingredgoat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil. Cause the ONLY acceptable uniform for killing zombies is a cocktail dress and combat boots.

Post by flyingredgoat » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 pm

pudding7 wrote:Why complicate the roof design? Why not just two sides instead of four? I guess it's the same amount of materials, but it seems needlessly complicated. Also seems like you lose some storage capacity in the ceiling/loft area.
Probably a little more stable. Not my choice either, but it's a nice idea.

K
Merovech wrote:Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

fart_plume

Post by fart_plume » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:57 am

Poor roof design, i have a two story house with that same roof. The surface area is greater than a standard gable roof making it get hotter inside during the summer and losing too much heat to the outside in the winter. Another thing is that type of roof is prone to leaking in the roof joints where they come together on the inside angles a real pain to seal up properly.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 am

First off, great idea and execution. it's one thing to have an idea, but it's another to actually go out there and finish it. I'll post here what I did in the youtube comments since I think we'll get a better discussion going here.
Huh, I played around with some scale models of a structure identical to this but concluded that there were too many valleys where water can (and will) get into the wood. Also, since it's so high, the heat will rise out of the living area. You could fix that with an air recirculating fan, though. Neat concept and I'd like to see what you do with it, but I'll probably stick with a simpler roof designed to maximize solar gain.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

dasneal

Post by dasneal » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:50 pm

I think it is good work. What struck me during the final demonstration is how functional the gable roof piece would be for temporary bug out locations that you could easily cache. Much faster than a tent if you felt it wouldn't be stolen. Naturally you wouldn't need it to be so large.

In my opinion it is impressive work.
If the wolf is the natural predator to animals then surely desperate men are the wolves of other men. The rule of law, the goal of civilization, is to discipline the bestial nature within us.

Those who prepare for emergencies are building the rule of law. Do not confuse us with those who seek the wolf or who view mankind as their prey.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:04 pm

A benefit of that roof design is that you wouldn't need rain gutters to direct rainwater to downspouts and rain barrels. Gutters are a bitch, but rain barrels are great. Best of both worlds there.
Mostly not here anymore.

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:50 pm

That is awesome! I've been playing with cabin designs on paper, but you went ahead and built it. Well played sir. I also really enjoyed the other video with the floorplan and the renderings. That looks like a great little cabin to throw up back in the woods.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:37 pm

I like it. It strikes me that you could just do away with the lower walls though that way you could have each point of the roof rest on a pier in the ground making sort of two crossed A-frames.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”