Keep your teeth in the PAW

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Enter_Narne

Keep your teeth in the PAW

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Thought I'd start a thread about teeth in the PAW since there isn't much on the subject here.

I'd hate to be in a world where every bite of food I took was a world of pain. I'm sure there are others here that feel the same way. Not only is there pain to deal with, but there's the real threat of not being able to eat. Beyond pain and nutrition, there's the social aspects. People generally have a different opinion of those with teeth and those without teeth.

So let's start putting some information together about keeping your teeth in the PAW.

I'll start.
Wikipedia wrote:One particular advantage of using a straw when drinking is the reduction of tooth decay. Many soft drinks have acidic properties, and using a straw reduces the liquid contact with the teeth, reducing tooth decay and the risk of cavities.
Assuming you won't only be drinking water in the PAW, any drink other than water would have some effect on the teeth. Why not prevent as much of this drink from coming in contact with your teeth with a straw.

Your turn

mk_ultra

Re: Keep your teeth in the PAW

Post by mk_ultra » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Taking vitamin D and/or calcium supplements is a good idea as one may not get enough of these in a PAW diet .

Flossing everyday is a good thing .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Make your own toothpaste

1 MAKE YOUR OWN TOOTH POWDER.
Thoroughly mix 3 parts baking soda (the cleanser and sweetener) with part salt (the abrasive) and funnel the compound into a short small-mouthed container such as a pop or beer bottle. You'll find that the creation has a satisfying, different taste and leaves your mouth feeling very fresh and soothed. If you'd like, add a few drops of peppermint or wintergreen oil to the concoction - or mix the home "brew" half-and-half with a commercial tooth powder - to give the dentifrice a more pleasant flavor.

2 MAKE YOUR OWN TOOTHPASTE. This formula is simply an extension of the tooth powder recipe: To each half cup of homemade powder, add 3 teaspoons of glycerin, 10-20 drops of flavoring (peppermint, wintergreen, anise, cinnamon or whatever) and 1 drop of food coloring. Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and add just enough water to make the concoction "tooth-pastey". Spoon the substance into a small refillable plastic squeeze bottle or any container that dispenses easily and won't leak. VoilÁ! Toothpaste!

gameover419

Post by gameover419 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:37 pm

You could start by brushing them everyday thats a given.. Even if you do not have tooth past anything would be better than nothing. Also if you dont have anything to clean them right you can use things like proxide, bakeing soda. but i would think the best thing for everyone to do is just keep up with your teeth go to the dentist. Thats about all i can think of... if it gets bad enough break out the neddle nose rip it out...
Stanfill

deathstyle

Post by deathstyle » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:38 pm

I know if you find the a twig that isnt dead yet and rip of the bark and exposed the inner part you can use that as a toothbrush. I heard certain parts of ash have calcium that you can rub on your teeth instead of toothpaste. I forgot if its the grey/white ash or the black. Im leaning towards grey but this is only if your left with no other option and Ive yet to research whether it is true of not. Anybody else heard of this?
"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:02 am

Floss. Floss. Floss.

The crown of the tooth isn't at anywhere near the risk for tooth decay that the spaces between teeth and at the gum line are.
Keep plaque from building up there and you have a better chance of keeping your teeth.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:27 pm

don't have any info to share yet, but wanted to say thanks for the important thread. I'll be watching it. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 pm

LowKey wrote:Floss. Floss. Floss.

The crown of the tooth isn't at anywhere near the risk for tooth decay that the spaces between teeth and at the gum line are.
Keep plaque from building up there and you have a better chance of keeping your teeth.
But don't floss and brush too much or you can erode your gums and teeth. Ain't life grand? :lol:
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Just getting the stuff off your teeth at the end of the day, and first thing in the morning. And being careful to keep an eye on your gums, because gum disease is bad news. And floss. Three things you can do without tooth brushes and toothpaste. Heck, you can do them with a fingernail and a string off your shirt. You won't smell like roses, but you'll keep your teefs longer.

Now, when there's real trouble - caps falling off and no cement available, teeth breaking apart, abcesses and no way to pull the tooth and no antibiotics - you may have to just recall the old family remedies and buckle in for a long haul. Having had all kinds of teeth and ENT issues, those thoughts are pretty scary to me.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:39 pm

shrapnel wrote:
But don't floss and brush too much or you can erode your gums and teeth. Ain't life grand? :lol:
I knew a girl in elementary school that claimed to have had this problem, and she went from brushing 3 times a day (after every meal, she was real OCD about it) to once a day. I always wondered if it was legit, or something her parents made up to try to get her to loosen up a bit about it. Seems kind of crazy to have to worry about brushing too much when we were so heavily pressured to brush all the time as kids.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Agent

Post by Agent » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:49 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
I knew a girl in elementary school that claimed to have had this problem, and she went from brushing 3 times a day (after every meal, she was real OCD about it) to once a day. I always wondered if it was legit, or something her parents made up to try to get her to loosen up a bit about it. Seems kind of crazy to have to worry about brushing too much when we were so heavily pressured to brush all the time as kids.
It is a real concern for some people. I knew somebody that flossed three times a day and her dentist told her to stop because it was causing her gums to recede, which eventually would cause tooth decay and teeth falling out if it got far enough. If you only floss once a day (I tried to at least remember every other day, you should really floss every day) you should be fine.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:58 pm

gameover419 wrote: *snipped
Thats about all i can think of... if it gets bad enough break out the neddle nose rip it out...
GAH! Not for me. I can do a lot, but not that. I'm tracking down a dentist and having him work on me after I pass out drunk. Some types of pain I can take incredible amounts of. Others? No way. Messing with my own teeth is one of those 'others.'

That scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks knocked his own tooth out freaked me out.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Thats about all i can think of... if it gets bad enough break out the neddle nose rip it out...
GAH! Not for me. I can do a lot, but not that. I'm tracking down a dentist and having him work on me after I pass out drunk. Some types of pain I can take incredible amounts of. Others? No way. Messing with my own teeth is one of those 'others.'

That scene in Castaway where Tom Hanks knocked his own tooth out freaked me out.
No way, no how, am I pulling my own tooth. There are ways to do that, none of which I know, and tools to use, none of which I have. I've never had a bad tooth tied to a door or a rock, then slammed or thrown. As an adult, I've had 3 teeth pulled, all molars, and only one came out in one piece. The guy that pulled it was exerting a ton of pressure, so hard that his arm was shaking and he was grunting and I was nearly sure if he slipped, I'd get knocked into next week. The other two had to be pulled out in parts, and the bottom halves had to be drilled out.

That's why I say, if I get a bad tooth in the PAW, I worry. A bad tooth is hard to deal with, and a runaway infection in your jaw will spread. Also, the pain from an untreated abcess or ear infection and burst eardrum will have you laid out. If I have zero other alternatives, then the whiskey and the string and the door might look appealing. But otherwise, I'll be looking for a dentist, too. A dentist with a pair of pliers is a whole lot better than me doing it.

There's a video at YouTube of a guy filming himself trying to pull out his own abcessed tooth. Somebody needs to find it and link it (I can't since I'm on my handheld).

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Ellie With An Axe wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:

No way, no how, am I pulling my own tooth. There are ways to do that, none of which I know, and tools to use, none of which I have. I've never had a bad tooth tied to a door or a rock, then slammed or thrown. As an adult, I've had 3 teeth pulled, all molars, and only one came out in one piece. The guy that pulled it was exerting a ton of pressure, so hard that his arm was shaking and he was grunting and I was nearly sure if he slipped, I'd get knocked into next week. The other two had to be pulled out in parts, and the bottom halves had to be drilled out.

That's why I say, if I get a bad tooth in the PAW, I worry. A bad tooth is hard to deal with, and a runaway infection in your jaw will spread. Also, the pain from an untreated abcess or ear infection and burst eardrum will have you laid out. If I have zero other alternatives, then the whiskey and the string and the door might look appealing. But otherwise, I'll be looking for a dentist, too. A dentist with a pair of pliers is a whole lot better than me doing it.

There's a video at YouTube of a guy filming himself trying to pull out his own abcessed tooth. Somebody needs to find it and link it (I can't since I'm on my handheld).
Don't worry Ellie....I'll pull your tooth for you.
I'll even break out my dremel bits and try to fix the cavity before it gets to the point of ruining your tooth.
I only habe one question...."Is it safe?"* :twisted: :lol:

* Marathon Man....google it :wink:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:04 pm

LowKey wrote:Don't worry Ellie....I'll pull your tooth for you.
I'll even break out my dremel bits and try to fix the cavity before it gets to the point of ruining your tooth.
I only habe one question...."Is it safe?"* :twisted: :lol:

* Marathon Man....google it :wink:
OMFG if I ever get a dentist with a warped enough sense of humor to ask me that, I will get out of that chair so fast... on second thought, if I've been gassed already I may slide out then bumble around on the floor... but the sentiment is the same!

And thanks LK for offering to get that bad tooth out. And making me look at my dremel with fear now. :lol:

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Ellie With An Axe wrote: OMFG if I ever get a dentist with a warped enough sense of humor to ask me that, I will get out of that chair so fast... on second thought, if I've been gassed already I may slide out then bumble around on the floor... but the sentiment is the same!

And thanks LK for offering to get that bad tooth out. And making me look at my dremel with fear now. :lol:
I'm here to help :mrgreen:
Yup..I'm helpful! :lol:

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:33 am

Tooth problems may become less of a problem in the PAW. A lot of tooth problems are diet-related, particularly sugar/starch consumption. I'm thinking there will be a lot less Coke and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups after a few months said event happens.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Vindex

Post by Vindex » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am

I ain't been'ta dentist in 22 years, an' still got'em all, all white and straight.

For gum infection, my dentist (back then) told me: salt water mouthwash (lots of salt). It worked.

Field expedient temporary cavity filling: wax

Kick ass topical anasthetic for yer "Castaway" dentistry: Cattail juice/slime from base of plant (U'll be numb in 10 seconds, pretty awesome).

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:23 pm

All Kinds of Dental Things here... and as far as I can tell, the Adventure Dental Kits contain the Dentemp Filling, which can be bought directly for $3 or as part of the ADK for like $20+. What's the point? I've had several fillings come out and it completely sucks till it gets fixed... this temporary stuff will tied you over for the duration of a BOB's capabilities.

Remotemedical.com sells dental forcep/extractors for about $190, but wouldn't pliers work? I mean Tom Hanks used an ice skate in Castaway to remove an absessed tooth... if a pampered overpaid actor like him can hack self-extraction with a coconut and ice skate, then couldn't we all?

Tom Hanks is my hero.

ChatWithaNinja

Post by ChatWithaNinja » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

arrowolf wrote:Tooth problems may become less of a problem in the PAW. A lot of tooth problems are diet-related, particularly sugar/starch consumption. I'm thinking there will be a lot less Coke and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups after a few months said event happens.
I have to agree with arrowolf here. Most problems with your teeth are a sum of your diet. eat a lot of sugar and your teeth WILL fall out - it's not just a good line.

on the other hand, having a tooth problem for me in the PAW will probably not be bad. For some reason I don't feel much pain at all in my teeth when they rot out - I've had it happen once and me and the dentist thought it was a fluke that I didn't feel pain when the whole tooth was rotten to the core. the second time it happened, we decided that it's just what happens with my teeth and I'll need to have checkups more often... Odd, I know.
-Andy
A high post count does not equal high intelligence

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:32 pm

A diet high in starches will also lead to more tooth decay.

Also, depending on how primitive you get, it's likely that you'll be eating a lot of sand/grit in your food (like, if you cook in clay pots, or heat things by putting rocks in a fire and dropping the hot rocks into your pot, or grind things between rocks, etc.). Eventually, that grit will wear the everloving shit out of your teeth, sometimes to the point that the pulp cavity is exposed. Or you'll just wear them down past the enamel and into the dentin, leaving you with (often) sensitive teeth. Either way, not much fun.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 pm

I had a great set of chompers up until college, when my diet was awful for many years. I'm paying for those years big time as an adult. I also grind my teeth really badly, which is a host of other issues and problems. So I've had a lot of work done, and work left to do still. Dental care for problems in the PAW is a big concern for me, and it's still kind of a gray area in my preps. I already have a weak immune system, so my biggest problems are figuring out how I'd deal with an extraction and an infection.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 pm

I honestly believe I have one of the worst sets of teeth known to mankind, seems to run on my Moms side. Even cut soda down/out, stopped with the gatorade, blah blah blah.

Had no idea starch bad for em :oops: I actually had a filling fall out about 2 weeks after the dental hobby shop (what I call the Dental Clinic on base) put one in. Their fillings never seem to last it seems, but if I get a filling done by a civilian doc, never have a issue, odd huu? :roll:

Ok, done gripping, but this is something I've been thinking about a lot, I quit a little squemish about holes in my teeth (though I can never stop poking em with my tongue.. .wtf) so gonna be keeping a real close eye on this thread, already like the homeade toothpaste stuff and added the components to the list of hygine preps (along with another 6 rolls of toothpaste)

Here is a question though, Mouth Wash. I heard the alchohol containing varities where bad for your teeth (strips the enamel) so I switched to a non-alcohol version of ACT.
Does it really make a difference? Or just advertising blowing smoke?

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:26 am

I always understood that at some point your teeth rot and just fall out. You're in pain and then at some point, the tooth falls out and you're okay. Gargling and rinsing with salty hot water is probably about as good as any of us could do at certain level of PAW.

Some books I've been reading speak highly of finding green twigs and mashing up the fibers and brushing with the green mashy part of the twig. Something about the green-ness and chemicals in the wood making a difference.

You can find dental tools out there, but they all appear to be glorified chisels and pliers. So, in a pinch, there are other options if you have a way to knock the patient out or deal with the pain... both during the procedure and post-extraction. This thread is making me queasy, but if you think about all the movies where people spit teeth out. Maybe shock helps them keep going. I can't think of how painful it would be to lose a single tooth let alone many teeth all at once.

My x-wife used to work in dental and dental surgery office. They had a guy come in once with an abcessed molar that had gotten so bad that his entire left side of his HEAD had swollen up. Their very first thing was to rupture the abcess and drain it... which they did by cutting it open and then squeezing the guy's head as hard as they could for about 20 min, letting it sit, and then more squeezing and massaging. AFTER that, they did general anesthesia, stitched his tongue to the side to keep it out of the way, cracked the bad tooth with a chisel, plier'd the pieces out, and drilled out the fragments. I had dinner with them and this didn't make for good dinner conversation, but it is funny to listen to a tooth surgeon talk about this... feet up on the chair, head straps, knee on the chest and lots of pulling to remove those fragments.

In the PAW, you'd just let nature slowly rot the tooth out I guess.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”