need Auto A/C help

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

broylz

need Auto A/C help

Post by broylz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 pm

i have a leak at my AC fitting where i attach the recharge adapter hose. that fitting leaks really badly. right now i have the hose installed over the fitting and the hose is stopping the leak for now. i really want to get it fixed. im pretty handy when it comes to cars but never messed with this kind of thing.

anybody have any A/C experience?

FordGuy2001
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn 04. Resident Evil Films. Zombieland.

Re: need Auto A/C help

Post by FordGuy2001 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:28 pm

If it stops when you have the hose on there, it sounds like the schreder valve to me. If you take it out and replace it, you will need to pull a vacum on the system and recharge the whole thing. You might try getting a can of stop leak, not sure if it will work on that, or try using the special tool needed and tighten it up.
Fleet # ZS0021
shrapnel wrote: Pancakes, our cat, is more of a badass than any of the humans in the house.
raptor wrote:
America even in the midst of a recession is a nation of plenty; we should not allow children to go hungry.

broylz

Post by broylz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:42 pm

i just recharged it with 3 tall cans of 134 with oil and stopleak in them. as soon as i pulled the recharging hose off the valve, it started spraying out and i quickly put the hose back on. im guessing it will be awhile before it goes bad like this but i do want to fix it properly.

how much would you guestimate the cost of having the valve replaced, or replacing it myself, and then having it purged, vacuumed and recharged?

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 pm

If you have a Schrader valve tool, make sure the valve core is tight. This is the only cheap fix, hope it works. Stop leak wont cure a bad Schrader valve.

Assuming the valve core isn't loose, but is in fact defective, you need to have the system discharged, repaired, deep vacuumed, then re-oiled and re-charged. The valve core is probably a buck or two at any auto parts, the valve core tool to change it is a couple more bucks. To have the system discharged, vacuumed, re-oiled and recharged by a mechanic is gonna be a little more expensive. They'll probably charge you a couple hours labor($85-$150/hr depending on the shop), and whatever the oil and refrigerant costs.

If you don't get the valve fixed, you will eventually get water vapor in the system. Water chemically reacts with the refrigerant to produce hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acid eats everything, this kills the compressor, accumulator, and desiccant, all of which will have to be replaced. That gets Mega-Expensive fast. Get it sorted out asap.

When you take it in, tell the guys you put all that oil and stop leak in, so they don't put more oil in, too much oil and not enough refrigerant means you wont get as much cold air out of it between charges.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”