Fruit tree woes

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MI-1Honkey

Fruit tree woes

Post by MI-1Honkey » Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Something is growing on and killing my fruit trees, i tried the search here and the google, with no luck. This same stuff was on one of my smaller maple trees a couple years ago, but i let it run, and the tree survived(much to my dismay). Now its on my apple trees and I'm ready for war. Maybe somebody can tell me what this is, and hopefully how to kill it.

On with the pics!

Heres a pic of the only peach tree still alive, this stuff was on it last year too.

other side of the peach tree

and one of my apple trees

another apple tree

I fought with this stuff all last summer, "fruit tree spray" didn't work, mir-a-cid didn't work, none of the other stuff from the hardware store worked.

Anybody have an idea what this stuff is? How do i get rid of it?

liberty45

Re: Fruit tree woes

Post by liberty45 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Looks like Lichens to me.

Here is some additional information I have saved in my Bookmarks

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forum ... hp?t=33355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 pm

I lost an apple tree to that same sort of stuff. The resinous discharge and all. I don't have any help though, I just cut that one down and it didn't spread to anything else.
ImageImage

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

Zombie tree virus ?
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Chantrea
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Uh...does Bubba Ho-Tep count? It's got Bruce Campbell in it!

Post by Chantrea » Thu May 28, 2009 1:06 am

My pear tree is covered in lichens and moss, but up until last year it was producing just fine. Unfortunately it endured a horrific mauling by someone we'd hired to mow the lawn to get the lower branches "out of the way", and that was the summer of no bees to boot (my neighbor's pear and apple trees didn't get pollinated either--I'm beginning to suspect that crazy landscaping dude (who did most of our neighbors' yards too) might have put out insecticide against all of our wishes, thank goodness pretty much everyone fired him at the same time.

So I wonder if that ooze is a separate issue from the lichens?

Do you have a state agricultural extension office nearby? They would probably really like to hear about this, just in case it IS a disease or pest. The extension agents should be able to help you identify what's going on too, or at least direct you to someone who can!

Kaelos

Post by Kaelos » Thu May 28, 2009 1:07 pm

If you are referring to the white/green patches on the trunks, they are lichen and there is absolutely no reason you need to get rid of them. Lichen will use any flat surface (including tree bark) as a sort of anchor for their colony, but they in no way harm or consume the tree.

Those "oozing" cankers, on the other hand, bespeak an actual problem. The ooze you are seeing is just solidified tree sap (resin) created by the tree to stop a breach in its defense system (just like a scab on a skinned knee.) Two different things are usually the source of these patches: boring insects or bacterial disease. For example, the apple tree borer will attack both apple and maple, and create the oozing symptom. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/woodylandscape/f ... eborer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional information (your region, symptoms on fruit/leaves, etc) would be helpful in narrowing down the actual pathogen. However, if this is a recurring thing and you're losing significant investment, just cut the tree down BEFORE IT IS DEAD (afterwards the agent will have trouble figuring out primary vs. secondary pathogens) and take it to your local cooperative extension office.

I repeat, lichen is not a disease. If something is killing your trees, this is a symptom, not a cause. If they are really annoying you, change your watering habits or the micro-climate to provide a less consistently damp environment for lichen to flourish in.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Thu May 28, 2009 3:28 pm

Kaelos wrote:Those "oozing" cankers, on the other hand, bespeak an actual problem. The ooze you are seeing is just solidified tree sap (resin) created by the tree to stop a breach in its defense system (just like a scab on a skinned knee.) Two different things are usually the source of these patches: boring insects or bacterial disease. For example, the apple tree borer will attack both apple and maple, and create the oozing symptom. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/woodylandscape/f ... eborer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional information (your region, symptoms on fruit/leaves, etc) would be helpful in narrowing down the actual pathogen. However, if this is a recurring thing and you're losing significant investment, just cut the tree down BEFORE IT IS DEAD (afterwards the agent will have trouble figuring out primary vs. secondary pathogens) and take it to your local cooperative extension office.

I repeat, lichen is not a disease. If something is killing your trees, this is a symptom, not a cause. If they are really annoying you, change your watering habits or the micro-climate to provide a less consistently damp environment for lichen to flourish in.

Kaelos; Thanks, I'm in southern Michigan, I now understand the lichens are non destructive, my main concern lies with large chunks of bark missing and splitting open. Last year my peaches all had holes in them, and 3/4 of the trees are dead now. I haven't actually seen any of the parasites on or near the trees. I will get more and better pictures of the trees and leaves. Whatever disease my trees have, has split the bark from top to bottom and the tree trunk is cracked open as well. I have sent an email to the ext office.

Thanks for the help everybody, More pics coming when I get home tonight or in the morning.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu May 28, 2009 3:36 pm

My bet is the parasites are inside the trees.

Some type of wood borer.

We have the Ash boring beetle around here now. Ash trees are tagged and trapped around all over the place now.

BTW I'm in Ohio.

arrowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Location: Riding Shotgun on the Bang Bus out of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by arrowolf » Thu May 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Looks like Lesser Peach Borer damage. Those take some powerful medicine like malathion.
Every cloud has a silver lining. Except the mushroom-shaped ones which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium-90.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

crazytimmah12

Post by crazytimmah12 » Thu May 28, 2009 9:25 pm

I would call your local agriculture extention agency. That is their job. They can probably give you the genius and species of the damn thing. Just a thought. Good luck!
"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today." Elbert Hubbard

Rhetor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead- but anything with sloooow zombies.

Post by Rhetor » Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 am

+1 arrowolf. Peach borers. You are going to need some heavy duty bug chemicals. Call a professional. If you go green nature boy on this one you will lose a tree.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”