Home machine shop

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Blkhrt13
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Out in the Piney Woods

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Blkhrt13 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Also before you do a lot of milling you need to make sure you are not climb cutting with anything. If an endmill grabs because you lead into the part wrong it can brealk it.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?

User avatar
Zdigger
* * * * *
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Fort Hood (The Great Place), Texas (again)

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Zdigger » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Jamoni, if you come back to Atlanta I will take you to my shop.

Here is a tool system that you can fabricate but I thought you might get a kick out of it.

http://www.wood-carver.com/moregunstock.html

Image

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

The guy that I got my mill from had a shaper and said he loved it. But he also already had two big mills two lathes, etc.

It is my impression that a shaper comes after you have a decent mill and lathe.
WWSD?

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Most of the milling I plan on doing is pretty small. A table with 15-20" travel should be plenty.
As for the shaper, I'm looking at some of the old Atlas 7" ones, and they aren't all that big. Mainly, I like the idea of being able to set them up, get them running, and then do an operation on another machine. It's kind of like a poor man's CNC. :) I also like the ability to use cheaper cutting bits. If I had one, I'd use it mainly for squaring up blocks, cutting slots and keyways, and, with the addition of an indexing head, gear cutting. Compare the prices of involute cutters compared to tool blanks, and you'll see why I think a shaper would be teh awesome.
Zombie digger, that pantagraph is awesome.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Blkhrt, I can't really climb mill, since my table has so much backlash in it. If I tried, it would grab the work and drag it in a good 3/16". Not good. Sometimes I'll do it for my finishing cut, but that's about it.
Oh, BTW, this site is awesome:
http://madmodder.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
Blkhrt13
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Out in the Piney Woods

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Blkhrt13 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

I didnt know if you or anyone else who might read this learned it the hard way yet. atleast was hopeing youd look into it and learn if you hadnt yet. I learned the hard way about the third time i played with a manual mill. I cut my teeth on a cnc so it was an ugly lesson, had to dig shards of quarter inch end mill out of my forearm. Sometimes learning can be painful. Morri seki and kitamura have tight ways so you can climb all day. Any manual not so much.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?

User avatar
Zdigger
* * * * *
Posts: 2984
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Fort Hood (The Great Place), Texas (again)

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Zdigger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 pm

jamoni wrote:Most of the milling I plan on doing is pretty small. A table with 15-20" travel should be plenty.
As for the shaper, I'm looking at some of the old Atlas 7" ones, and they aren't all that big. Mainly, I like the idea of being able to set them up, get them running, and then do an operation on another machine. It's kind of like a poor man's CNC. :) I also like the ability to use cheaper cutting bits. If I had one, I'd use it mainly for squaring up blocks, cutting slots and keyways, and, with the addition of an indexing head, gear cutting. Compare the prices of involute cutters compared to tool blanks, and you'll see why I think a shaper would be teh awesome.
Zombie digger, that pantagraph is awesome.
Yea we have a two cutter Pantagraph, now that I am not in pain I can go fix up my CNC machine.

User avatar
Cavediver
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:28 am
Location: Buford Ga

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Cavediver » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:34 pm

zombiedigger wrote: Yea we have a two cutter Pantagraph, now that I am not in pain I can go fix up my CNC machine.
Is your shop in the Duluth area?
If so, drop a line. I'd like to head over and check it out :D
Image

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Here's an ongoing build log of the new shop I'm building.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2605.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This will be the home of all my tools, motorcycles, and other crap that the GF won't let me put in the kitchen.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 3154
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Home machine shop

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:30 pm

jamoni wrote:Here's an ongoing build log of the new shop I'm building.
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2605.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This will be the home of all my tools, motorcycles, and other crap that the GF won't let me put in the kitchen.
SHE WON'T LET YOU?!?!!!?


I understand man ... I get dirty looks every time I temper something in the oven. Nice looking barn/shed/workshop btw.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 am

To be fair, there is a bandsaw and a homemade truing stand with a 18" motorcycle wheel in there right now. :oops:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 14985
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: st louis

Re: Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 am

Here's the floor going up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDe86a01xw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a little aside, I bought an Estwing 28 oz framing hammer for this job. The damn thing cost $32. Worth every penny.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:49 am

Looks like it's coming along nicely, I wish I could put up an out building. But I'm stuck with my 3rd bay in my garage. It has filled up quickly with all the equipment I've been buying.

I also just found out the VFD that came with my mill needs 3ph input, not 1ph like the seller told me. :evil:

So now I'm shopping for a different VFD, damn this is getting expensive!
WWSD?

MI-1Honkey
* *
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Home machine shop

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 am

Paladin1 wrote:Looks like it's coming along nicely, I wish I could put up an out building. But I'm stuck with my 3rd bay in my garage. It has filled up quickly with all the equipment I've been buying.

I also just found out the VFD that came with my mill needs 3ph input, not 1ph like the seller told me. :evil:

So now I'm shopping for a different VFD, damn this is getting expensive!
If you can scrounge a decent size 3phase motor, it would be cheaper to build a phase converter with an idler, than to replace a vfd.

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 am

MI-1Honkey wrote:
Paladin1 wrote:Looks like it's coming along nicely, I wish I could put up an out building. But I'm stuck with my 3rd bay in my garage. It has filled up quickly with all the equipment I've been buying.

I also just found out the VFD that came with my mill needs 3ph input, not 1ph like the seller told me. :evil:

So now I'm shopping for a different VFD, damn this is getting expensive!
If you can scrounge a decent size 3phase motor, it would be cheaper to build a phase converter with an idler, than to replace a vfd.
Crossed my mind, but then I would lose the variable speed feature. And as I understand it, it not a good idea to run a rotary phase converter to a VFD because of the less than perfect current control a rotary phase converter provides.

Then there's the additional space, noise, etc, of another electric motor running in the shop. A VFD can provide the 1ph to 3ph conversion via efficient solid state controls AND the variable speed.

And the price appears to be reasonable compared to building/buying a RPC.
http://dealerselectric.com/mfg-subcat-i ... 165&mID=-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WWSD?

MI-1Honkey
* *
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Home machine shop

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:48 am

Wow, prices have come down in the last few years, that Is very reasonable compared to building an idler setup. I say jump on it, and get some chips flying!

akraven
* * *
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Home machine shop

Post by akraven » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 pm

I used a TECO FM50 on my machine along with a 3ph motor so I could get variable speed. Works great and pretty easy to set up.
I wired a remote box to have on the machine itself with the on/off,reverse and variable speed dial. The Teco box I mounted away from the machine so no chance it would get damaged.

MI-1Honkey
* *
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan

Re: Home machine shop

Post by MI-1Honkey » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:45 pm

jamoni wrote:Well, how about pics of stuff you guys have made?

took me a while but i finally remembered to snap some pics today of stuff in my toolbox....

Homemade cant twist clamp, these are handy all day long, and day one simple to make...
Image


This is a pic of most of the parts for a prototype pull tester i made for local company's QC dept, its adjustable for 2 to 26 lbs pull, and clicks on release like a torque wrench
Image



heres a couple pics of some of the other things i make
Image

Image

for the record i didn't make the quarter, its just in the pics for scale...


Thats all I've got for now,

User avatar
meatshieldChris
* * * * *
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Re: Home machine shop

Post by meatshieldChris » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 pm

http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4208.JPG

So I destroyed a vacuum hand pump. It was crap anyway. I needed a new piston. Had some plastic, had a drill press that held my dremel, and hand a real drill press. Used an arbor and chucked up the piece of plastic, and pretended the drill presses was a lathe.

Ended up building this:
http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4210.JPG
http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4211.JPG

I even got the slot to spec, the o-ring seals!

The success of this cobbled together grinder-lathe makes me think a home built hobby lathe is a possibility. And here I find this: http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine- ... lling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which would be MORE than enough to do what I just did, with a much better surface finish and accuracy. I think I can improve on it.

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

akraven wrote:I used a TECO FM50 on my machine along with a 3ph motor so I could get variable speed. Works great and pretty easy to set up.
I wired a remote box to have on the machine itself with the on/off,reverse and variable speed dial. The Teco box I mounted away from the machine so no chance it would get damaged.

I'd be interested in how you wired a remote.

I went with a TECO JNEV-202-H1. (http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

It has the sensorless vectoring which my be handy when machining tool steels. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing I'm just figuring it out as I go. :lol:
WWSD?

User avatar
Blkhrt13
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Out in the Piney Woods

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Blkhrt13 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 pm

meatshieldChris wrote:http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4208.JPG

So I destroyed a vacuum hand pump. It was crap anyway. I needed a new piston. Had some plastic, had a drill press that held my dremel, and hand a real drill press. Used an arbor and chucked up the piece of plastic, and pretended the drill presses was a lathe.

Ended up building this:
http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4210.JPG
http://tryandgetme.ca/drill-grinder/DSC_4211.JPG

I even got the slot to spec, the o-ring seals!

The success of this cobbled together grinder-lathe makes me think a home built hobby lathe is a possibility. And here I find this: http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine- ... lling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which would be MORE than enough to do what I just did, with a much better surface finish and accuracy. I think I can improve on it.
The first machine I want to buy for this reason is a bridgeport. I have done some crazy stuff with them at work. They can do the work of a lathe too.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?

akraven
* * *
Posts: 305
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Home machine shop

Post by akraven » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:01 am

Wiring the remote. On the TECO box there is wring connections that allow you to put your controls where ever you want. I got a electrical box from Home Depot that is about 5"x 5" and set that up right next to the machine. I then put a on/off , forward/reverse and rotary speed adjustment switch (pot) in it. So when I want to use the lathe I turn on the main breaker to the Teco and there after all the controls at the machine are used. Hope that makes it a little clearer. If not ask away and I will help.

User avatar
Red_Ramage
* *
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:15 pm
Location: NE ohio

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Red_Ramage » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Great thread. The only thing I have to add at this point is a quality set of files and good drawfile technique goes a long way towards great looking manual machine work. I've always lubed the file with chalk and cleaned it when loaded with chips, Followed up with fine emery cloth and it leaves a beautiful shiny finish. My one caveat is I mostly do CNC work so I'm not as proficient on manuals as the old timers, so I could probably do a better job and not need to polish for finish.
Image
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

User avatar
Blkhrt13
* * *
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm
Location: Out in the Piney Woods

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Blkhrt13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Surface finish is about surface footage your speed is to slow. Bit filing in is a good skill regardless of round or flat stock.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?

Post Reply

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”