Home machine shop

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Home machine shop

Post by jamoni » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:50 pm

I have wanted a home machine shop for the past 15 years or so. For one reason or another, it was always a no go.
Until this week. I am now the proud owner of a Cummins 7X12 lathe and a Big lots drill press with a harbor freight milling vice.
Mostly I want this for work on my motorcycle, including making headlight brackets, foot pegs, handlebar clamps, etc. However, I also will be using it for a variety of projects, some of which I hope will make me some $$$$.
I've begun acquiring/making tooling and accessories for it.
Recent acquisitions are a dial indicator, set of transfer punches, 10 parallels, about 30 assorted cutting tools, a set of calipers, dividers, depth gauges, drill gauges, and other measuring junk.
I've begun work on a face mill, and will be making a boring bar, adjustable fly cutter, milling attachment for the lathe, steady rest with rolling heads, and a bunch of other junk. Pics tonight, and updates as available.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Paladin1

Re: Home machine shop

Post by Paladin1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:59 pm

Love to see your set up. I have been shopping mills/lathes also, the top machines are way expensive and the tooling you have to buy costs as much as the machine itself.
WWSD?

SavageArcher

Post by SavageArcher » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 pm

Sounds apretty sweet. I've been neglating my shop for awhile. I lost power to my workshop after hurricane Dolly and still haven't bothered to rewire the breaker box. Just haven't had any pressing projects that required my lathe. Look forward to some pics.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Congrats on getting your mochine shop going.

You might consider adding scales(tape measure) to the slides on the milling vise, for coarse measurement. Use your indicator for finer work.

Unless your drill press has a drawbar to hold things in the spindle, I would avoid using the fly cutter or face mill in there. I learned it the hard way a few years ago, broke a face mill, the part, and the window next to the drill press. Keep an eye on Craigslist, older step-pulley Bridgeports can be had for less than a grand.

If your making the fly cutter, add a counter balance or use very low speed. These things really get the ol drill presses wobbling. Even a small fly cutter can easily exceed the recommended sfm of a given material.

Good luck with it!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 am

MI-1Honky, thanks for the tips, especially the drawbar one. I hadn't thought about that.
I'd love to step up to a full size mill, but space is my main limiting factor. Once I get my taxes I'm going to pony up for a decent benchtop mill, and some quality tooling. Right now I'm just learning/relearning how to use all this stuff.
I'll get those pics as soon as my camera stops being pathetic. The new memory card is slow as molasses.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:53 am

Here we go:
First up is an overview of my milling setup.
Doing it the hard (and LOUD) way:
Not the most accurate method:
Now we're getting somewhere:
Next step is to drill out six holes for the bits, plus srilling and tapping holes for the set screws:
The new baby. It needed to have some adjustments done to get the cross slide running smoothly, but it seems pretty solid now:
The whole family, so far. Hoping to add a bench grinder, bandsaw, proper bench, and some sort of storage system for the tooling and accessories. Right now it's all wrapped up in oily cloth in some ammo cans. :(
A little of the tooling I picked up today. Not shown are V-blocks, calipers, dividers, depth gauges, drill gauges, 3 packages of cutting bits, drill bits, 2 end mills, lathe accessories (faceplate, large drill chuck on morse 2 taper, steady rest follower rest, dead center), combination square, and a ton of other crap.
As you can see, I have a long long way to go, but I'm making chips and having fun.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 am

jamoni wrote: Now we're getting somewhere:
With a little creativity and some patience you can get just about anything done.

That new lathe is a beauty, and a bench mill will make a excellent addition to your shop. You're off to a great start!

I've found some amazing deals on tooling in some local salvage and resale shops as some of the machine shops around here are going belly up with Detroit's downfall. A cutter grinder shop can sharpen your broken and burnt end mills and twist drills much cheaper than buying new ones.

I used to catch hell for doing it because it stinks, but Vactra way oil keeps aluminum from welding to your cutters.

SpecialPatrolGroup
Favorite Zombie Movies: Brain Dead ("Parties over!")

Post by SpecialPatrolGroup » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Congrats, it all looks and sounds awesome. I've been thinking about getting a mill/drill/lathe combo just to have something to play with until I get a bigger space. Even if I grow into larger machines, I'll still have the m/d/l around if one of the larger ones breaks and cannot be replaced.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm obviously still a total novice at this. Any guidance or suggestions will be welcome.

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:11 pm

SpecialPatrolGroup wrote:Congrats, it all looks and sounds awesome. I've been thinking about getting a mill/drill/lathe combo just to have something to play with until I get a bigger space. Even if I grow into larger machines, I'll still have the m/d/l around if one of the larger ones breaks and cannot be replaced.
Think that combo through for a while before you buy one. I was looking at combos before i bought my lathe and mill, theres a company local to me that makes/sells them. But after reading reviews online and asking a couple of actual owners, it seems most buyers are disappointed by the piss poor mini-mill that is always in the way of their great little lathe. If space is that big of an issue, get a mini-lathe and a mini-mill, then build a table thats big enough to go over either one, put one on top and the other underneath.

Jamoni, if you get hung up on something let me know and I'll help if i can.

Raven927

Post by Raven927 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Very nice indeed.....a quarter of our machine shop in school is lathe's, drill presses, mills. We also have welders, grinders, air compressors, and CNC mill and lathe. That is fun to play with.

Right now you pretty much have all the basics, don't forget to forget to get oil for the machines and pieces.
crypto wrote:The Ruger Hokey-Pokey

YOU PUT THE MAGAZINE IN
YOU TAKE THE MAGAZINE OUT
YOU TURN IT UPSIDE-DOWN AND THEN YOU SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
YOU YELL SOME MOTHERFUCKERS THEN YOU BEAT THE SPRING BACK OUT
THATS-WHAT-ITS-ALL-ABOUT!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm considering a milling attachment to the lathe as an alternative to a new milling machine. Since most of the pieces and cuts I plan on doing will be pretty small, I think I could get by with it. Thoughts?
Also, I used a Lowe's gift card that I had to buy a two drawer toolbox that holds my stuff pretty well.
I'm going to fab up some inserts to keep everything organized. I also got some 1/2" aluminum round stock, some 5/8" mild steel stock, and some 1/4"x1" aluminum stock, and some large washers that I'm going to grind down for clamping duty, until I can fab up a nice set of step blocks , t-nuts, and clamps.
Once it gets a little warmer, I'm going to build a small annex on the back side of my shed, that will hold the lawnmowers, motorcycles and bicycles currently dominating it. That'll free up some space for a nice bench. I'm also going to bury some conduit from the house to the shed, so I don't have to string an extension cord everytime I want to do some work. And soimetime before fall, insulation. :)

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:29 pm

That attachment will make your machine much more versatile, i say absolutely go for it! It replaces the compound so its easy on, easy off. If you buy the 3MT end mill holder thats recommended on that site, you can copy it with your lathe to make different size holders. Unless you need extreme accuracy, i would probably just use the three jaw chuck thats already on the machine, if it doesn't runout excessively.

You will need to be able to square the attachment to your spindle, this is akin to tramming the head on a mill. Make an indicator holder from a piece of your aluminum or steel stock, if you don't already have one.

Good score on the toolbox that will help keep it all together, and free of chips.

I see you have a couple books in the last pic, you might consider a used copy of Machinery's Handbook, this will save you a lot of math and scratch paper. South Bend's How To Run A Lathe is full of good stuff, but the speeds and feeds are outdated.

meancoyote
Favorite Zombie Movies: walking dead

Post by meancoyote » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Cool, I got started with a minilathe just like yours, I did not know much about metalworking when I got it, but now I work as a metal fabricator. the lathe got me into it, then I took some classes, and it went from there.

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Very Nice :mrgreen:

Here are some groups you may want to check out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x10minilathe/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/

And another good link:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Links.htm

I was originally looking for a Atlas 618 but now I'm looking at a 7x12. The main feature of the 7x12 for me is the 3/4" 20mm spindle thru hole. Large enough for the thinner end (+/- 5/8")of a rifle barrel.

I have not had a chance to test this out so if you could verify the thru hole size.

I'll PM you some other info.

Miles

meancoyote

Post by meancoyote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:49 am

MI-1Honkey wrote:
SpecialPatrolGroup wrote:Congrats, it all looks and sounds awesome. I've been thinking about getting a mill/drill/lathe combo just to have something to play with until I get a bigger space. Even if I grow into larger machines, I'll still have the m/d/l around if one of the larger ones breaks and cannot be replaced.
Think that combo through for a while before you buy one. I was looking at combos before i bought my lathe and mill, theres a company local to me that makes/sells them. But after reading reviews online and asking a couple of actual owners, it seems most buyers are disappointed by the piss poor mini-mill that is always in the way of their great little lathe. If space is that big of an issue, get a mini-lathe and a mini-mill, then build a table thats big enough to go over either one, put one on top and the other underneath.

Jamoni, if you get hung up on something let me know and I'll help if i can.

I have a smithy 3in1 machine,( http://www.smithy.com/product_image.php ... =500&h=531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) all in all I'm am happy with it. The lathe is very good, the mill is so so, but it works. I will someday buy a stand alone mill, and take the milling part of the smithy off(it would make an great drill press), but for now it works. Filling the hollow parts of the lathe with silicone and lead shot is the only mod I have made to it.

Check this out, this guy is building up a minilathe for gunsmithing,
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... =8;t=20172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MI-1Honkey

Post by MI-1Honkey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 pm

meancoyote, I'm curious about the silicone and lead shot? Smithy is the one I was considering, their lathes are superb. After I talked to a couple smithy owners near me, who were more upset with the mill than you are, I decided to get two separate machines. Worked out pretty well as I was able to make half-nuts for the lathe with the mill, and a drawbar for the mill with the lathe.

btw your homegunsmith link takes me to a login page???

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 pm

I am honestly jealous. It would be fantastic to have such a setup. Good luck in your endeavours.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 pm

I know that the separate machines are the most desirable setups, but I have been looking at this model-

http://www.smithy.com/product_home.php? ... 9&pid=1012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears the biggest complaint about the 3-1 machines is room between the the lathe and mill head , power of the motor, and time to set up between mill/lathe operations.

This unit seems to address those issues. for small, gunsmithing, tool making it looks like it might be able to do it(?)

Anybody have any exposure to one?
WWSD?

meancoyote

Post by meancoyote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

MI-1Honkey wrote:meancoyote, I'm curious about the silicone and lead shot? Smithy is the one I was considering, their lathes are superb. After I talked to a couple smithy owners near me, who were more upset with the mill than you are, I decided to get two separate machines. Worked out pretty well as I was able to make half-nuts for the lathe with the mill, and a drawbar for the mill with the lathe.

btw your homegunsmith link takes me to a login page???

The silicone is mixed with the lead shot to add weight and dampen vibrations, I fill all the empty spaces with it. I read about it in a machinist book, and it works.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Got a little more work done on the face mill. I countersunk the bolt for the arbor, and drilled the holes for the cutters and set screws. I went with four cutters instead of 6 since I wasn't sure how to layout a hexagon. :oops:
It's by no means pretty, but it should work, and is a learning experience.
Lesson one: I need to take way more time on my measurements and layout.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indexing_head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:53 pm

Kind of a pricey solution. Trust me, a dividing head is in the plans, but not for some time.

meancoyote

Post by meancoyote » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 am

jamoni wrote:Kind of a pricey solution. Trust me, a dividing head is in the plans, but not for some time.

You can build one, this book has plans, I made a faceplate from it.
http://www.amazon.com/Dividing-Head-Del ... 1878087053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”