how to make chainmaille

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Win1892
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (original)

Re: how to make chainmaille

Post by Win1892 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:17 pm

I think it looks cool, thanks for the post. May not be useful, other than to look at, but many things are like that.
Thanks for sharing.

stillborn

Post by stillborn » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:25 am

I think a good tough leather jacket would be better than wearing that. It only has to stop teeth, cause most others have guns.

stillborn

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:44 am

It can be fun to make that is for sure. Well sorta fun, takes a lot of time but you can do it while listening to a movie. Even places to buy the rings online, think it was ringlord or something like that. I build it from time to time for my SCA armor to add a bit of flair (mainly as trim, or add some to the bottom to make it look like I'm wearing a full shirt), but it is fairly worthless, even in the SCA where everything is bluntforce. It'll protect against a knife and bites but, and this is just my opinion isn't worth the extra weight.

ventus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead. Best series of bad decisions EVER!

Post by ventus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:33 pm

As someone who has chainmaile for ren-faire stuff, and made it himself using this method, I'll list some useful things you MAY not have thought of.

Butchering. There is a reason a lot of butchers wear chainmaile gloves and aprons. Nothing sucks harder then stabbing yourself after surviving the PAW and bleeding out while you carve up a deer.

Pretending that your a god to small children. Let's face it, PAW is going to have a ton of orphans. This is sad in a lot of respects, but let's face it, to kids without civilization, a lighter, and the ability to never be cut will make you a deity. (joking of course...)

That's about all I have. I was serious about the butchering. It'll be useful for that at least. I'm sure I'll think of something else as soon as I hit post.

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:51 am

As far as armour goes, it provides pritection against slashing and a small amount of impact dispersion. It is not good as sport armour but most replica chain malle uses rings that are too large made out of wire that is not hardened and too small. It is not good protection against modern weapons but it may have uses for some people.

I would not use it for SCA style fighting but SCA fighters do not fight as though a hit would kill them. Training does not compare to real combat because you can take extra risks in training. In real scenarios armour should take fewer hits. I would not use my ballistic vest as protection for practice against live ammo as a training scenario but I will still use it in the streets.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

TCB in TN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead/Army of Darkness

Post by TCB in TN » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Hate to revive such an old thread, but when I read this I thought about laminated armor. Alternating strips of thin leather and canvas glued and sewn together to protect the torso, and can be made into chaps, and lower/upper arm protection! It would provide much better protection against stab, slash, and to a lesser extent impact attacks.
There are only 2 people in this world I trust and you ain't 1 of em!

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Well having a gun would be a better way of not getting stabbed. Butted mail was used a long time before riveted mail was used. If I had spare money to play with I'd get some.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

ozwyn

Post by ozwyn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

http://www.theringlord.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site and forums used to be "everything you never wanted to know on chain mail"

I recall back in the day using the trick with the metal dowel and power drill to draw rings. Seems like you can get everything you need for homemade riveted these days out of a variety of materials.
CLEAR CUT wrote:I eat hot food because I dig pain and it's far cheaper than paying a dominatrix to kick me in the balls repeatedly.
Necrodamus wrote:Dont put yourself in a situation that is going to put you in a situation.

spchtr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hide and Creep,
Night of the Living Dead(original),
Return of the Living Dead(original),
Dawn of the Dead(the remake),
Day of the Dead(original)

Post by spchtr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:00 am

Welding is also an option, or alternating welded/riveted rings with stamped rings works well as you have to weld/rivet only half the links. I've done a bit of work with chainmaile in the past. It's not bullet proof, by any means, in fact you're likely to get rings inside you as well as broken bits of bullet, but it can stop most knives if the rings are smaller than the blade is wide. You'll likely get a bruise from a stab, but slices aren't much of a problem.

What I'd really like to see though, is a halberk of solid lexan rings. Like the stuff the old nalgenes were made of. Light weight, and can take a beating.
I wrote:Pessimists by nature have a better time of life, as having our expectations dashed against the rocks is seldom a bad thing. On the contrary it is usually a pleasant surprise.
Y.T. wrote:
Gingersam wrote:There are only four things you need in life.

Supper Glue, Gaffa Tape, Vaseline and a Hammer.
where I come from, that makes one helluva party. ;)

Denali

Post by Denali » Sat May 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Okay

Here's my try at it. (this took me two days) lol :D

Thanks OP, this was really cool.
You do not know the indignity
of being compelled to save something
you do not believe can - or should - be saved.
It is beneath me.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Sun May 10, 2009 11:40 am

That's a nice little piece, that. Good work!

(there are a couple of links that aren't quite lined up - if you use it, those get snaggy real quick, so it's worth going over and tidying 'em up)
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Denali

Post by Denali » Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 pm

andygates wrote:That's a nice little piece, that. Good work!

(there are a couple of links that aren't quite lined up - if you use it, those get snaggy real quick, so it's worth going over and tidying 'em up)

Good idea, lol. I think i was just getting anxious to get something done that I decided to forgo doing it well. But, you're right, i don't want it to snag. :D Thanks!
You do not know the indignity
of being compelled to save something
you do not believe can - or should - be saved.
It is beneath me.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”