Quitting smoking

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BB42924

Quitting smoking

Post by BB42924 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 am

Any suggestions on how to? I find it to be a real bitch!

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:17 am

accupuncture
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 am

I'm thinking about trying hypnosis, but I know someone that relapsed 6 months after her treatment.

I've quit cold-turkey before. I think I'll just try that again.

I've heard that for every failed attempt, statistically you have improved your chances of successfully quitting for good.
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

hometown slugger
Location: on your roof, ripping the shit out of your shingles

Post by hometown slugger » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:29 am

Gum.
That is how I quit cold turkey. but I go through 3 packs of gum per week
Hello my name is hometown, and I am addicted to orbit gum :P

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:07 am

I quit on May 1st, not a puff or anything else since! I went to a hypnotist. I've done that before and it worked. This one's method was to convince me that I didn't smoke. Everytime I thought I wanted a cig, I would just say to myself "that's silly, I don't smoke" and go on about my business. My husband and kids are stunned at how well it has worked. :)
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

meanstreak

Post by meanstreak » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:54 am

When my mom quit after 30+ years, she went to a hospital clinic/support group. I don't think the group helped her as much as some of the other techniques. One such technique was to empy every ashtray you have into a nalgene type bottle and add water. Each time you want a smoke, smell the bottle. It worked for her.

Also, it takes about 3 days to get Nicotine out of your system.

Here are some other tips:

1. Set a date to quit and mark it on your calendar.
2. Tell others that is the day and maybe even ask for some assistance from those close to you.
3. Take those days off from work and ride it out.
4. Plenty of sugar can help.
5. Don't drink alcohol - mainly because it impairs judgement and kills your motivation.

If that doesn't work, ask your doctor to put you under for 3 or 4 days and wake up clean :lol:

j/k
My blog - Bunker 19

"The only thing harder than preparing ahead of time is having to explain why you didn’t" - Gabe Suarez

What part of "Shall Not Infringe" do you not understand?

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:36 am

my motivation to quit was on a medic call

Guy was in his early forties and dying of lung cancer.

Looked like a concentration camp survivor sucking down his last marlboro through his stoma.

Even though his airway was fucked and he kept ripping off the O2 to cram a cig in his throat.

I came home and said well that does it I fucking quit smoking for good. and have not had a cigarette since. Granted I want them almost daily (it has been 6 months or so) but I just remember that guy and then think about my wife and kid. the kid is a major motivator.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:00 pm

I stopped a bit at a time. Firstly, I stopped smoking in the house. This was easy enough to do because there is plenty to keep me occupied. Then I stopped smoking in the car. At this point, work was the only place I was smoking. I started going longer and longer between cigarettes and got to the point where I was smoking maybe 4 cigarettes a day. At that point, what's the point. Took me about 2 weeks to quit completely. That was 10 years ago come August and I haven't had a cigarette since.

:D

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:20 pm

My dad's way of quitting after smoking both cigs and pot for several years was he threw out all his packs save one. Then he heated up the oven to about 350 degrees, and let the pack stay in there for about 5 minutes.

Every time he had an urge he'd light up from that last pack, and the taste and odor of stale cigarrettes made him quit. He still has that damn pack in his drawer for in case he ever gets another craving. So far, he hasnt touched it since, we're working on his drinking habits now :).
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

DestroyTheStairs

Post by DestroyTheStairs » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:20 pm

how about the fear of running from fast zeds and realizing your lungs burn too much to keep on! thats scary!

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:28 pm

oh, when you quit, don't have caffiene for a whileeither. I guess the caffiene encapsulates the nicotine that's left in your system and gives you a jolt of it. It's take longer to get rid of the cravings.
About.com has a good quit smoking program.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gregoriev
Probation

Post by Gregoriev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:43 pm

Whatever you do, dont be like this:

http://www.illwillpress.com/smok.html
Please read my zombie story at:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2865003/1/

CHAPTER 8 HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!!!

Please send me comment/suggestions/reviews through PM.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Heh. Foamy the Squirrel. Love that little guy. I've been that type of quitter before.

You first need to acutally decide to quit. It seems like a given, but I've tried to quit several times where in the back of my mind I was like "I'm not going to NEVER have another cigarette..." You need to make a firm declaration to yourself.

You also need to find those times where you habitually smoke, and change those habits one by one. Like stated earlier, first stop smoking in the car. Then, after lunch. Then everytime your hungry, etc, etc. On those times where you habitually light up, replace it with something else. You need to do it gradually, unless you are going cold turkey. I used to light up a work when I was bored, hungry or stressed. I didn't always smoke because I actually wanted a cigarette, I just did it out of habit.

It also helps to not hang around smokers. This can be hard, esp if you are dating/married to one, or have a family member. Don't go hang out with the smokers at work or at school, because social smoking is one of the hardest habits (as least for me) to give up. Same with drinking. If you can go to the bar and not light up, then your a friggin Jedi.

Oh, and if you don't run on a regular basis, start. And don't stop. That kicked it for me more than anything else.

I did okay with the gum, but it made me kinda twitchy. I was also on Wellbutrin for it, but it gave me freaky dreams. I finally quit when I started dating a non-smoker. She wasn't a pain about it, but it changed my habits enough to stop.

I still have one on occasion when I drink, that's hard, but I don't smoke all day long like I used to. It'll always be a temptation for me, and I wish I'd never even tried it in the first place.

Grrrr....now I wanna smoke! ARRRGH!!!
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Najalaise

Post by Najalaise » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:18 pm

I think DrGonzo is absolutely right about the first step (to changing any habit) being actually making the decision to do so. I'll add that it makes a big difference to decide that you want to do a thing, rather than that you should do a thing.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Najalaise wrote:I think DrGonzo is absolutely right about the first step (to changing any habit) being actually making the decision to do so. I'll add that it makes a big difference to decide that you want to do a thing, rather than that you should do a thing.
I love being right.

Najalaise, we Seattlities know the score!
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Will-power and trust. You need the will power to not let your craving control you. And the trust in your biology that the craving will go away as time goes by. I'm not going to lie and say its easy because it isn't.

Throw away whatever you have right now and be done. Don't have that "one last before I quit" because thats the drug talking. It's the insidious part of withdrawal and why its so difficult for so many people. Because its ego-centric so you think/feel that its you deciding to have one when actually you're under the influence of a drug. Most people aren't willing to accept or even realize they can have their inner voice controlled without them somehow knowing.

You will suffer in a way, but it won't last. The second part of that being important. Like getting pricked with a needle for blood tests. The needle hurts a little, but shortly afterwards any pain is just a fading memory. As time goes by and the nicotene leaves your system the logical part of you that wants to remain smoke-free will be more dominant and any cravings will be a faded memory.

However there is always going to be the mental footprint left behind. The part where even years later you're having a beer with friends and someone lights up and you consider asking for one because you recall "they always used to relax me". This is where a lot of people stumble and start up again. Because like I said the cravings will become a faded memory. Always remain vigilant.

Cheap-A$$-Survivor

Post by Cheap-A$$-Survivor » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:30 pm

I used to be a bad cigar smoker. At one time I was doing one or two a day.(I consider that really bad) When I wanted to quit I smoked till I puked(yea I know there are probably better ways) and havent had one since. (least it worked) After going cold turkey I have had little want of them since.

solliz

Post by solliz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:42 pm

A buddy of mine quit by touching his tongue against a 9 volt battery each time he took a drag. It didn't take long for him to quit. He said that even thinking about smoking would make him feel that electric tingle in his mouth.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:40 pm

I'll tell you how I quit when I get home from work. For now lets say it was inspired by CIA testing. :shock:
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm

Wow. I posted some dumb stuff in June.

*edited for 20/20 hindsight.
Last edited by Czechnology on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:42 pm

I picked up smoking in Tech school and had my last cig about three weeks ago with some of my buddies on our last week end together before we all graduated and went our different ways.

I took my time on my last one and never looked back. I still want one now and then hell I almost bummed one off a buddy the other day but for some reason I didn't, mostly because it didn't seem right to be smoking with civilians and mostly because I don't like the idea of not being in control of some thing in my life.

Besides now that I'm not in training any more they can deploy me when ever and I need to be in tip top shape if that happens.
Absit invidia.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:51 pm

I smoked for 9 years, from 17 to 26. From 20-26, it was a lot of smokes per day.

I decided I didn't want to be a smoker any more. So I just stopped. Sure, you will feel like you want to smoke, but I explained it to a friend like this-

It's a life decision. When you decide you'll never do it again, you won't, even if you black out drunk.

It's just a decision. The people who complain about it being hard never decided to live their lives as without smoking. They tell themselves that they will try, but if it gets too hard... They look for chances to "cheat".

Makes the decision, or don't. That's the easiest way to quit. Or not to.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Najalaise

Post by Najalaise » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:30 pm

When my girlfriend quit smoking, she had a nifty little trick.

Every so often, she'd catch herself with whiny thoughts along the lines of, "Quitting smoking is haaaaard!"

When she noticed herself thinking that, she'd promptly issue a rebuttal: "No. Losing my mother when I was 16 was hard. This is a cakewalk."

Feuerlied
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, both versions.

Post by Feuerlied » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:02 am

You could try rapid smoking. It's a behavioral psych. technique of quitting. (Talk to your doctor before doing this, etc.)

You sit inside a fairly enclosed space. You inhale every three seconds. You keep smoking and keep smoking. Eventually you'll get sick and likely vomit. Although this seems like it'd be harsh to do to yourself it trains your mind to dislike cigarettes. So rather than you associating a cigarette with 'happy, smooth, mellow, calm" you associate it with 'raspy, dry, nauseous, vomit.'

Or alternatively you could keep smoking as much as you want. But there's a catch. Before smoking you have to wash your mouth out with Listerine. It makes the cigarettes taste and feel like utter crap.

When you no longer enjoy smoking you'll have no reason to keep smoking.
"Whomsoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster, for if you stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you." -- Freidrich Nietzsche

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”