Ruth Stout Garden

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Ruth Stout Garden

Post by lailr » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:58 pm

So, I'm probably late, and haven't put in a garden in 10 years or better......But this year seems like a good year to put one in. The issue is, we're looking at selling our house at some point in the future, and the wife doesn't want me to plow up a two acre plot of grass right now. The compromise we came to was raised bed gardens, which, even though I have some railroad ties lying around, could still get expensive.

In my looking around however, I came up on the Ruth Stout method, which apparently just utilizes a roll of hay, plant, and keep adding hay. For a garden this spring, will this work? My neighbor has some old rotten round bales behind his barn that might work, and I could probably buy cheap.

And my next question, is will this work for most types of garden plants? It seems like tubers would, but what about beans/greens/melons/tomatoes/corn?

Thanks!

quazi

Re: Ruth Stout Garden

Post by quazi » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:33 pm

I don't have any first-hand experience with mulch, as we usually don't have much problems with erosion and don't lack for rain most years (and we do have problems with slugs and getting soil warm enough).

It should work great for potatoes. We normally pile up dirt on ours a couple times a summer to increase production and protect the tubers from sunlight.

Tomatoes it will also probably work well with. When we transplant them we usually bury them pretty deep, and sometimes when we don't have enough starts we lay them down sideways and bury them so each branch becomes a plant.

As far as raised beds go, are there any bakeries near where you live? I'm wondering if you could get some used buckets and drill a few holes in them to plant in. Then when you moved it would be easy to empty them out and stack them together for transportation. My grandmother often hangs buckets with one tomato plant growing out of the top and one hanging out through a hole cut in the bottom.

I've used old tires for raised beds. They work well, but if it's hot and sunny smaller tires can actually get too hot.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:55 pm

Railroad ties may be a less than perfect idea.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden ... s-safe.htm
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 pm

Should work, but when you pull out the garden it will be nothing but dead grass (maybe) if you follow the method properly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D31COOvk6xk

does have to be dome correctly to work tho...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 am

What I think I'm going to do since I'm so late starting, is Rototill in some hay, plant, and then hay over a smaller plot. something like 15X30...

Does that sound good? Thanks!

lailr

Post by lailr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:19 am

Went with a traditional plowed garden for the first year, think I'm to late for a Stout garden. Cabbage, carrots, LOTS of Potatoes, and Onions all in..... local wisdom says after Good Friday for more summer type foods, so Tomatoes, Corn, Squash, Beans and Sweet Potatoes going in either this weekend, or next week.

I plowed in some 10-10-10 (enough), and Black Kow (probably not enough) according to the directions, but does anyone know if adding some more occasionally would hurt?

And ended up more like 25 X 60

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”