So, I'm buying a small mountain...

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

So, I'm buying a small mountain...

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:48 am

After an epic 8,100 mile journey through VA-TN-MO-AR-OK-TX-NM-AZ-CO-UT-ID-MO-WY-SD-NE-IA-KS-MO-KY-TN-VA I'm home. The mission for my trip was simple, "Go to Lewiston, Idaho and buy a house, or buy land and build one." This mission was ordered by my wife so that she can be close to her last surviving parent, her mom. (picture later) I just took some detours to visit with some ZS folks and see some things I'd never get the chance to see/experience before I die.

Well, the mission was semi-successful in that I have a handshake deal to buy just a tad over 39 acres of land just above the Clearwater river that is already prepped with a well and septic system and is already excavated for a foundation for a manufactured home, and I'm buying a 3 bedroom house to go on the full daylight basement w/two-car garage we'll be doing as the foundation in the spring.

The land has ~20 acres that's pretty flat (gently sloped towards the river) and the rest is pretty vertical. It goes from 1,800' where the house will be to ~3,400' at the top of our "hill". The land is semi-wooded with the typical western US mix of pine trees and we're having a forester friend of ours check the entire acreage by drone to mark what trees need to come out due to health and/or safety (widowmakers/fire breaks/etc.)

When I went to look at the property I saw dozens of wild turkeys, whitetail deer, an elk, and bear and cougar sign, as well as berry bushes. Adjoining properties are mostly owned by the U.S. Corps of Engineers (small red flag that - why do they claim it?) and a farmer.

Plans currently include raised bed gardens (ground is very rocky but we may clear a small area for crops like corn), goats (to help clear some of the scrub and grass and provide milk/cheese/meat), at least one woodstove or fireplace, propane for cooking and supplemental heat (as needed in future outbuildings), a small antenna tower on top of the hill for my ham radio use (probably about 50'), solar panels and battery banks as we can afford and add them.

We won't be 100% self-sufficient, but well be much better off then we are here/now.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

JF89
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: So, I'm buying a small mountain...

Post by JF89 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:59 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:48 am
After an epic 8,100 mile journey through VA-TN-MO-AR-OK-TX-NM-AZ-CO-UT-ID-MO-WY-SD-KS-IA-MO-KY-TN-VA I'm home. The mission for my trip was simple, "Go to Lewiston, Idaho and buy a house, or buy land and build one." This mission was ordered by my wife so that she can be close to her last surviving parent, her mom. (picture later) I just took some detours to visit with some ZS folks and see some things I'd never get the chance to see/experience before I die.

Well, the mission was semi-successful in that I have a handshake deal to buy just a tad over 39 acres of land just above the Clearwater river that is already prepped with a well and septic system and is already excavated for a foundation for a manufactured home, and I'm buying a 3 bedroom house to go on the full daylight basement w/two-car garage we'll be doing as the foundation in the spring.

The land has ~20 acres that's pretty flat (gently sloped towards the river) and the rest is pretty vertical. It goes from 1,800' where the house will be to ~3,400' at the top of our "hill". The land is semi-wooded with the typical western US mix of pine trees and we're having a forester friend of ours check the entire acreage by drone to mark what trees need to come out due to health and/or safety (widowmakers/fire breaks/etc.)

When I went to look at the property I saw dozens of wild turkeys, whitetail deer, an elk, and bear and cougar sign, as well as berry bushes. Adjoining properties are mostly owned by the U.S. Corps of Engineers (small red flag that - why do they claim it?) and a farmer.

Plans currently include raised bed gardens (ground is very rocky but we may clear a small area for crops like corn), goats (to help clear some of the scrub and grass and provide milk/cheese/meat), at least one woodstove or fireplace, propane for cooking and supplemental heat (as needed in future outbuildings), a small antenna tower on top of the hill for my ham radio use (probably about 50'), solar panels and battery banks as we can afford and add them.

We won't be 100% self-sufficient, but well be much better off then we are here/now.
Beautiful country out that way, I live a few hours away in NE Oregon. I have an uncle that lives in Deary ID though and it seems like a great area for rural folks. Plus Idaho is a constitutional carry state (outside of Boise)

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm

I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:21 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm
https://i.imgur.com/NZhxoBu.mp4

That video won't work on here, and it's not the actual property, just representative of the road leading to where my driveway will be. Click the link to see the vid with sound.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm
As promised, my mother-in-law

And the actual road that leads to the property. It also leads to another property I looked at. That's dirt and rocks.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Yo! Next time you take that kind of drive, let me know if Nebraska can fit on that list :D

Sounds like a great time!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:05 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 pm
Yo! Next time you take that kind of drive, let me know if Nebraska can fit on that list :D

Actually, Nebraska did fit in the list. Let me check my Google timeline... Yep! I ventured into South Sioux City for a meal and then back on the road and into Iowa.

I tried to meet up with Boaty McFBNface ( :mrgreen: ) in Kansas for lunch or coffee but that didn't work out, and I tried to meet with MPMalloy but Sioux City was a little too far outside his AO. I also tried to catch up with Confucious in Billings, MT but they had family visiting. (Ya know, those are the three main reasons I took a northern route home... I could have dropped further south and avoided the ice/snow... oh well)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:05 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Actually, Nebraska did fit in the list. Let me check my Google timeline... Yep! I ventured into South Sioux City for a meal and then back on the road and into Iowa.

I tried to meet up with Boaty McFBNface ( :mrgreen: ) in Kansas for lunch or coffee but that didn't work out, and I tried to meet with MPMalloy but Sioux City was a little too far outside his AO. I also tried to catch up with Confucious in Billings, MT but they had family visiting. (Ya know, those are the three main reasons I took a northern route home... I could have dropped further south and avoided the ice/snow... oh well)
Hey.. I'm still waiting in KC. I sent you a txt.

Just bad timing . Next time ( And I do blame you for the bad timing :roll: )
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:39 pm

The road looks well maintained but you should check on who is responsible for maintaining it.
It goes from 1,800' where the house will be to ~3,400' at the top of our "hill"
A 1600' elevation change in a 19 acre area is pretty steep. For example a square of 19 acres is about a 3500' perimeter, so best case you are looking at about a 45 degree slope+ even with a long rectangle. Anything over 45 is essentially a cliff. That will definitely keep out the casual riff-raff.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:39 pm
The road looks well maintained but you should check on who is responsible for maintaining it.
It goes from 1,800' where the house will be to ~3,400' at the top of our "hill"
A 1600' elevation change in a 19 acre area is pretty steep. For example a square of 19 acres is about a 3500' perimeter, so best case you are looking at about a 45 degree slope+ even with a long rectangle. Anything over 45 is essentially a cliff. That will definitely keep out the casual riff-raff.
The top is accessible through a field off a state highway. The road you see in the pic is also state maintained.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 pm

What're you going to name the place? Chateau Zed? Camp Teotwawki? Mount Damnit I Finally Found a Place Don't Take It From Me? (Diffapdtifm just doesn't seem to roll off the tongue like Teotwawki.)

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Sounds great. Go ahead and plant corn in your raised bed, but for everything else use growing walls.

Images are too big to post here.

Visit www.canyalove.org for the details.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:37 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:10 pm
Sounds great. Go ahead and plant corn in your raised bed, but for everything else use growing walls.

Images are too big to post here.

Visit www.canyalove.org for the details.
Interesting concept and one I'll have to look into. Thanks!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 am

Idaho is great. That looks like a great area.

I have an office in Gillette Wy which in that part of the world is "right next door".

The things that impressed me about that area is the winter, the wind and the fact that everything else is at least an 8 hour (@ 80 mph 1 way) away.

Enjoy yourself.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 am

I'm really envious. I can't get my wife to move from Denver.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:20 am

Zed Hunter wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:51 am
I'm really envious. I can't get my wife to move from Denver.
Colorado is a really beautiful state with a lot to love about it. Just not their gun laws or politics unmentionables.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”