What to do with 13 acres of land?

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

What to do with 13 acres of land?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Back in the darkness of time, just before the war to end all wars, my great grandfather was driving through North Dakota. I don’t know what possessed him, but he purchased a big ass plot of land.

Today, that land has been divided between his sons and daughters of two marriages, so my share in the new millennium is 13.6 acres. My brothers also have 13.6 acres each and my cousin will inherit 42 acres.

When my grandmother owned it, she went and leased the mineral rights. Nothing happened for decades. Then someone figured out that it’s sitting right on top of the Bakken oil shale formation. So when crude was selling for $120 a barrel, I was getting monthly checks for about $2500. Today it’s maybe $230.

The slant drilling and fraking operation is a really small footprint, None of us have visited the property yet. But it is in the vicinity of N46.5° X W130° if you care to look at it on Google Earth. The nearest town is Williston North Dakota, it’s the county seat!

Because of its remote location, I don’t think it is a good bug out location, nothing you could get to in a hurry. However, I am thinking that given dramatic climate change it could be much more suitable homestead for myself and family in the future. Of course while both June and July have been the hottest on record, recent years have shown that we are more likely to get wild weather swings than parrots living in balmy Brooklyn scenarios.

So I am trying to figure out what to do. I could offer a model some to my brothers for their surface rights and they could still possess the mineral rights and get their royalty checks. That would give me about 42 acres to plan with. My particular plot does not have surface water, from the looks of some of the farms in the area you can dig a pond and it either fills with snow melt or perhaps from the aquifer.

My brothers and my cousin are looking at doing some sort of a safari to look at the land. I’m wondering what sort of passive preparations I could be doing from a far.

For example last year hemp cultivation was made legal if I were to scatter hemp seeds then I could have wild hemp growing there. That could be a valuable resource for fiber, bio fuel and food.

Or maybe next year just pay somebody to dig a pond?

So fellow forum members I am putting this out there to solicit creative ideas from a lot of out-of-the-box thinker‘s.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Stercutus

Re: What to do with 13 acres of land?

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 am

The first thing I would do is test the water. If there has been fracking in the area it could very well be contaminated. There are other alternatives like rainwater collection but you want to be able to plan ahead.

Next, since you know your neighbors I'd try to get the land back together in a trust. If you build anything on the site this can save you a fortune by having shared facilities and buildings. If no one else is interested just try to buy them out affordably. They likely won't sell because of the oil but you never know.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:51 am

Excellent point about testing the ground water, thanks.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:03 am

See if the Nature conservancy will pay you to plant 'prairie grass' - you might get an additional yearly payment.

Put it up for sale for 500K. Then donate it for the tax write-off

buy out your relatives and open a UFO landing area - then sell tickets to visit the facility

I had remote property in utah w/water. Wound up selling it - too many of the "good neighbors" were stealing everything, even nailed down and shooting up the rest. IOW - if you don't live on it, sell for what you can now.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:13 pm

There are many things you can do. That said is the parcel jointly owned or has it been subdivided?

I ask this because the larger the parcel the more options that exist. The other issue is liability as well as sustainability of ownership. Someone has to pay the taxes and insure it for liability purposes.

If it is in pieces you should consider getting all the owners to merge the property into a single LLC. If it is not individually owner you should this because anyone who does not do a succession properly will cloud the property title.

Once you have ensured proper title you should see what programs in the state exist for Conservation easements. These programs exist in many forms in each state. In LA land that deemed acceptable for a conservation easement will fall under a program that will pay the owner basically the FMV of the land for the surface development rights. You still own the land and can subject to a mutually agreeable conservation plan use the surface of the land. You simply agree that you will not "develop it".

In my case the land in question was not suitable for any commercial or residential development. So giving up development rights was a no brainer; they did not exist. It was also had now depleted oil wells on it. A portion of it was farm land for sugar cane and the balance was wood land, swampy ground and animal habitat (black bears in particular). The farm land proceeds basically paid the deeply discounted property tax and the hunting rights was the only revenue the rest generated. It was a net wash for that portion.

The USDA program I used paid me the FMV value of land so I got a cash event. However I still own and control the property. The farm land continued as a farm but with a new crop blueberries as well as hay. I have to leave at least 50% of the blueberries and hay for the local critters. The local farmer will harvest this for me . The timber can be harvested and sold as long as it is replanted on a pre-agreed basis over a 20 year cycle

The program at their cost also sent in a forrester and paid to improve or bull doze new (fire break roads) and clear out parts of it to make the habitat more suitable and attractive to the local critters, flora and fauna. I can still hunt it and lease hunting rights to this improved portion. They are also planting specific plants to make it more attractive to the animals as well as hardwood trees that can be harvested in about 20 years.

PM me if you want links to the USDA program.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:40 am

TacAir - Thanks for making the point that we might have good neighbors but bad visitors.

Raptor - What a brilliant idea. No idea if any of this land qualifies, but I won't know if I don't ask.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:14 am

When the fracking first took off, you could have hauled in old used RV trailers and rented them to the roughnecks for ridiculous amounts of money. It may still be worth looking into what rents are going for and what it would cost to run utilities onto the property.

A few coworkers and I seriously considered buying used RVs in my area to haul out there and sell at a markup. I know some people made a killing doing that before the Saudis flooded the market. We decided it wasn't worthwhile with our limitations at the time.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”