Community Gardens and YOU!/Also I need your advice

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Community Gardens and YOU!/Also I need your advice

Post by Cymro » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:43 am

. .. or how to get your community prepared for the zombie uprising.

I've recently acquired a huge amount of mixed seed packets from a very generous friend. It's not quite the right time to start anything new outdoors, but I've got a fair amount of both wheatgrass and microgreen seeds which could become the basis of an indoor garden.

I've seen what happens when entire counties go without resupply for weeks, and I'd like to get more community gardens going where I live. Do any of you have experience with either community gardening or seed banks? If so I'd love to hear from you. I'm pushing ahead with this but I'd love to get some input from folks who know more than me.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Community Gardens and YOU!/Also I need your advice

Post by raptor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:19 am

Community gardens were a big thing in NOLA for a while when there were a lot of vacants after Katrina.

This group has some online resources. That said climate zone here is much warmer than in the Carolinas.
Www.sproutnolafarm.org

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:50 am

They haven't done so well here in Anchorage.

They will steal your food (homeless types)

Then they steal the dirt. (local jerks)

They can work, IMO, mostly in small towns.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:27 am

In terms of soliciting community interest, I wouldn't emphasize the preparedness aspect too much. Or at least frame it in terms of food supply resiliency and sustainability rather than preparing for a major interruption in the food supply.

It seems like ideas of locally sourced food where consumers know more about how/where it was produced are more resonant with the public consciousness at the moment. That and the general idea of building local community relationships. Think 'permaculture' versus 'preparedness'. It also might make your project more appealing to local agencies who could throw some block grant money your way. Doubly so if you can get your local school district involved.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”