A place with no name ... BullOnParade got some land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

A place with no name ... BullOnParade got some land

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm

So as of Tuesday, an offer was accepted on a 10 acre wooded lot in Central* Ontario. The land is solid coniferous forest with 110 yard frontage on a municipal road allowance, about 3/4 of a mile south of the maintained road. About a mile from two separate lakes in opposite directions. The neighbouring plots vary in size from 10-100 acres, almost exclusively used for hunting.

My wife and I plan to spend a few years (learning and) developing the land. A network of trails and some off grid projects will be first on our to do list. Ultimately a drive way, four season cabin and bunkie would be the dream. Depending on how life goes, we don't expect this to be our last property, but I suspect I will always want it as a hunt camp and bug out location, and that's why self sufficient projects come first. A small solar array, rain water collection, and outdoor cooking setups are projects I've already started day dreaming about. Things that will make further development of the land easier.

I'll keep updating this thread as projects come to develop. For now, I'm basking in the glow of owning something bigger than 500 square feet.

* "Central" Ontario is a fairly disputed term. Some refer to the center of the population density, some the land mass. I say 'Southern' Ontario is where you see deer crossing signs. 'Northern' Ontario is where you see moose crossing signs, and where they overlap is 'central'.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Re: A place with no name ... BullOnParade got some land

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Congrats! Looking forward to more threads as you get the BOL to where you want it.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Congrats! You might also want to consider a well with a hand pump. With two lakes that close, and given the geography up that way, the water table shouldn't be too far down and a hand pump would give a secondary water source.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:05 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm
So as of Tuesday, an offer was accepted on a 10 acre wooded lot in Central* Ontario.
:clap:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm

'grats!

Once I get this house ready to list--hopefully this coming spring, depending on laziness--I'm looking for about 10 acres myself. Large enough to be interesting, small enough to keep up with.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Congrats! these are always fun threads to follow and keep the dream alive, as always PICS!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone. So far, it's just been a lot of planning, prioritizing, discussing with the wife our own expectations of the property. While we're mostly on the same page, where we differ, she has sound logic behind her thinking.

Our next opportunity will to visit the property probably won't be until December, so we've got some things to plan before hand.

I'd like to buy/design/build a cart which can traverse the road, allowing me to leave my vehicle behind. I'll be scouring the Bug Out Cart threads over the next couple weeks for sure.

I'd like to build a roof/canopy of some sort to start collecting rain water. It may be an angled tarp. It may be a frame which I use to build a platform on next summer. It may be something in between. Either way I'll need a few other things to effectively collect rain/snow through the winter.

If I could have those two projects in place before the end of the year, I feel the property would be off to a magnificent start.

Another thing we're considering at this time:

Planning trails: I see some software that maps routes. I'd love for the trails on the property to be of known distances, and skirt the property in a known, planned way. Anyone use anything in particular they recommend? Anyone recommend resources for planning trails on virgin land?

I'll definitely get some more pictures next time I'm up, and I've got to get the ones off the go pro from the first time, but they're pretty boring shots of dense forest right now.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Anyone use anything in particular they recommend? Anyone recommend resources for planning trails on virgin land?
The full version of Google Earth has historical maps that can show different seasons and how the land and surrounding area has changed over time. They also included photos aerial photos taken post disaster so if an area is prone to flooding or whatever there will likely be some imagery of that as well.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”