Cool score for aquaponics

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Cool score for aquaponics

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 pm

I just got a bunch of aquarium stuff from CraigsList for free. I've been keeping an eye out for good opportunities, and two popped up this weekend. I snagged one of them.

Here's the tank. I believe it's 50 gallons, and they gave me the 5-gallon bucket of gravel too.

A couple pumps & filters, bubbler, tank decorations, cleaning implements, lights, heater, auto-feeder and more.

And the stand

I'm going to put casters on the stand so it's easy to move around on the concrete. Not sure if it's going to live in the back yard or in the garage quite yet.

My plan is to get everything inventoried, determine what I still need, test it, clean it all up and get the fish started. Then I'll figure out how I'll build the plant bed portion of the aquaponics and put that together over the winter.

I'm in central Texas, so mostly we're worried about super-hot temperatures not freezes. That said, I'd like to try my hand and building a solar water heater box that I can bypass when it's warm out.

Might be able to use a solar panel & battery to make the pump work at least when it's not winter.
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Re: Cool score for aquaponics

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 pm

So, after fiddling with the tank for a bit I decided to sell it. I had spent time cleaning the tank (which was actually ~37 gallons or so) and got everything checked out. But, it wasn't going to work for what I needed so I sold it on CraigsList.

Things I learned:
  • Most common filter pumps are set up specifically for rectangular tanks (I will need stand-alone style since I plan on using 55 gallon drums)
  • Water flow for those filters wasn't particularly strong. I plan for two 55 gallon drums for fish & plenty of circulation.
  • Bubblers etc for standard home tanks aren't sufficient (not long enough tubes, short power cords, small motors, etc)
Looks like I'm back to square one on equipment. But, I funded other purchases on the preps!
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”