Neat Electricity free washing machine

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Das Sheep

Neat Electricity free washing machine

Post by Das Sheep » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:53 pm

http://gizmodo.com/a-portable-washing-m ... +%28Gizmodo%29

Modern foot powered washing machine, looks very neat for situations where you don't have power.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Neat Electricity free washing machine

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Great thread here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=95862

I've personally used a hand-pump well, washtub, and brush for several months at a time with good effect.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Save the money. Just use a washboard and a little bit of water. I keep mine handy!

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 pm

I like the foot power concept, it would allow you to also work on some other project with your hands while you do your wash.

Big thing I don't like is the plastic design, this means it is not built to last. It will likely break after a couple years of use, if not sooner. I would love to see one of these built with longer lasting parts. When I get my homestead land I could see myself buying one of these just to pull it apart and build a version with better quality parts. Or just using the concept to inspire building something like it.

*edit to add, something else to note. This is meant for delicates. So would likely not be very functional for heavier weight items like a pair of jeans.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:20 pm

I imagine it would get heavier weight clothing 'clean' after a fashion. Just not 'automated washing machine' clean. One thing I've noticed camping in the back country, or traveling in the third world: one's personal definitions of concepts like 'clean', 'comfortable' and 'private' become remarkably flexible.

I agree with the concern over longevity however; this thing looks too plasticky. A good prototype for a heavier duty metal version however. In any case, this concept isn't new, even here at ZS.

http://www.off-grid.net/water/diy-washi ... undry-soap

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=95862

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98207

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 am

I almost want to like it, but looking at the website, I really can't see the advantage of using this over just washing your clothes in a sink or a bucket. The only real useful part of this is if you lack a decent sized clean sink, like at a car camping site, or with an RV, but that is about it.

I also wonder, like others have said, how it would work washing a few pair of adult men's jeans. I think the weight would make the pedaling suck or it could break.

On a side note the same rotating ball and foot pedal design, with a pedal powered fan and a small coil heater to dry your clothes. That might be better than just hanging wet stuff on a line and it would cut on wait time. That would be interesting....wait its my idea...PATENT PENDING!!

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”