Food Processors (Not Blenders) for Canning Prep.

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Food Processors (Not Blenders) for Canning Prep.

Post by 88sport » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

So, upon making and canning some Tomato Stuff with my grandfather yesterday, I realized that if I could avoid slicing and dicing every single pepper into small bits with a knife, I could dramatically reduce the amount of effort that he and I both would have to put into our canning adventures. Now, from what little Google research I did, I found out that blenders and food processors are two different things. The differences lie in the shape of the mixing container; blenders have a narrow bottom to them versus a wide-bottom for food processors, and the agitators; blenders have the agitator blades placed close to the bottom of the container and processors have a shaft that can extend up almost halfway into the container with different blades and disks, etc. Does anyone have experience using processors, and if so what kind of recommendations would you have for the device (if you have one, what little things about the one you own would you change)?
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Food Processors (Not Blenders) for Canning Prep.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Before Off Topic contributors and their posts are "burned to the ground" as stated by 'The Powers That Be', I have decided to take action and remove the 6,747 unwelcome posts contributed by me in the past 7 years.

My apologies to forum members for any inconvenience this may cause. This is the 4th time it's been threatened and I'm too old and tired to fight it again.
Bless you.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

88sport
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland and 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by 88sport » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Really so far it's mainly been muscadine jelly/preserves, tomato stuff, and some blueberry jam/jelly. However, I am wanting to expand upon that and start doing some tomato-based mixes like salsa and spaghetti sauce and some more varied stuff with fruit. Eventually, I want to work my way up to getting a pressure canner. I would like to be able to have stuff year round from the garden and I know for a fact the sheer volume of all of our vegetables and fruits would support that.
landser wrote:I can practicly hide my self in a contractor bag. fill it full of boughs and leaves you have a bed were it as a poncho. store a dead body in it. put all your gear out of the weather. combine two one with hole and you have a shelters fill it with news paper and you have an insulated shelter. carry water with it.
only here...

eugene

Post by eugene » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm looking for one myself. Making pickles this year and I remember seeing food processors with a flat round disc that had one blade so it would make nice all the same size slices. Not sure what/where to buy those now.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm

Blenders are awesome when you are making sauces. I just throw whole tomatoes in, hit the pulse button until they liquify, then strain the juice through a mesh strainer. This usually doesn't destroy the seeds, so all I have to do to save the seeds for net year's planting is to spread the strained pulp out and dry it.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:53 am

What Granny posted is the best tomato sauce maker I have ever used, and continue to use. It has lasted over a decade.

For food slicing, I bought a hand slicer similar to this one:

It works well for almost everything I have ever tried, but I use it for fresh cooking, not canning. I could see it taking a long time for canning quantity of veggies.

I saw on e of these at Bed, Bath and Beyond this past week and almost bought it:

I don't use the hand slicer enough to warrant an electric one though, so I passed.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 pm

If you use a mandolin like Murphman posted, USE THE GUARD!! Seriously, those things are really sharp and don't care if your finger gets too close. With the hand gizmo, you can get most of the food while still protecting your fingers. We use one here and my husband about faints every time because he is just sure one of us is going to slice a finger with it. They are very handing for slicing.

We use a blender for things like smoothies and shakes. We use this food processor to make our own spreads like from sunflower seeds.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 pm

eugene wrote:I'm looking for one myself. Making pickles this year and I remember seeing food processors with a flat round disc that had one blade so it would make nice all the same size slices. Not sure what/where to buy those now.
I just have a standard Cuisinart food processor and that was one of the included attachments. As stated, can use a mandolin as well. A good food processor can set you back quite a bit but second hand shops have them regularly, though how many attachments are with it will be hit and miss.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:04 pm

I got a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth about 6 years ago and I'm still in love with it. It's got a giant work bowl , the whole base is covered in suction cups, and the feed chute is so big you can drop a whole potato into it (hence the name for the product).

It has 2 blades: the normal bottom blades, and a disk that sits in the top of the bowl that has a cheese grater on one side, and a mandolin slicer on the other side. When you're using the slicer mode, you just drop the fruit or vegetable in the chute, turn it on, and slices fall to the bottom of the bowl. Its really great. Works well for tomatoes, potatoes, apples, you name it.

And its the only food processor Ive ever owned that has no problem powering through 2 quarts of hummus in one shot.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14320929?wmls ... 70&veh=sem

Two thumbs up.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:07 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:What are you trying to process?
If you want to make juice or sauces, I highly recommend the Squeezo.
It has strainers for pumpkin, normal, and tiny berry seeds.

Image Image

Can I ask a real dumb question, Granny?

I can see from the design that the stuff that makes it through the screen runs down the chute into the bowl or pot at the end of the chute, but what happens to the skin and seeds? do they just pile up inside the strainer and you have to clean it out every 10 minutes, or do they get squeezed out at the end of the cone?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:17 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:54 pm

We used to use something like this when I worked at a pizza place to process tomatoes and other vegetables for toppings. Works surprisingly fast for uniform chunks.

**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:We used to use something like this when I worked at a pizza place to process tomatoes and other vegetables for toppings. Works surprisingly fast for uniform chunks.

When I worked for Speedway/SuperAmerica (a convenience store chain), we had one of those things to chop onions for the hot dogs. After they started buying processed onions, I dug the dicer out of the dumpster, sterilized it, and put it to work. Those things make awesome home-made shoestring fries.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:15 pm

crypto wrote: And its the only food processor Ive ever owned that has no problem powering through 2 quarts of hummus in one shot.
I read that as powering through two humans.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:We used to use something like this when I worked at a pizza place to process tomatoes and other vegetables for toppings. Works surprisingly fast for uniform chunks.

When I worked for Speedway/SuperAmerica (a convenience store chain), we had one of those things to chop onions for the hot dogs. After they started buying processed onions, I dug the dicer out of the dumpster, sterilized it, and put it to work. Those things make awesome home-made shoestring fries.
I loved that thing. If I had a bigger kitchen I would be tempted to buy one for myself, even though I don't do any big cooking that justifies it. The trick I found to using it was to make sure the vertical bars were well lubricated. Since it was Papa Johns, we used the garlic butter to great effect.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Sworbeyegib wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:

I loved that thing. If I had a bigger kitchen I would be tempted to buy one for myself, even though I don't do any big cooking that justifies it. The trick I found to using it was to make sure the vertical bars were well lubricated. Since it was Papa Johns, we used the garlic butter to great effect.
I'll never regret wading through the dumpster to recover mine. As an aside, the Slap-Chop does a pretty good job, too (ridiculous obnoxious commercial host notwithstanding).

As for mandolins, those things are an awesome food prep. Some of them have a thickness adjuster on them (I really love those kinds). They make short work of cukes for pickles, peppers for pickled peppers, maters for sandwiches, cabbage for kraut or slaw, and lettuce for tacos. Anni is right, though. I bought one with a ceramic blade, and Mom lost a finger tip trying to slice a tomato for a sandwich.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Do you have to screw it or do you just push down?

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Anianna wrote:

Do you have to screw it or do you just push down?
This is a "raise it, then push it down hard" piece of equipment.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 pm

I have a gizmo I think is similar but smaller. It has a plastic housing, a metal grate, and another plastic housing that the whole thing fits into. You put the food on the metal grate and then press the outer hosing down on it. Yours looks like the Cadillac version to my Pinto. :lol:

∩(=^_^=)

Sworbeyegib

Post by Sworbeyegib » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Anianna wrote:I have a gizmo I think is similar but smaller. It has a plastic housing, a metal grate, and another plastic housing that the whole thing fits into. You put the food on the metal grate and then press the outer hosing down on it. Yours looks like the Cadillac version to my Pinto. :lol:
It's definitely more of a restaurant grade item than what is found in most kitchens. But it seems here on ZS we do things in only two sizes. Ultra compact carry, and commercial quantity.

I used to do 30-40 roma tomatoes in about 5-10 minutes with it. I'd just core the stem part of out the tomato (or cut the top off), cut it in half lengthwise, and slam the sucker down on it. Perfect little 1/4" cubes.

Two things to note. Always point the cored/cut top away from you, or you will get some juice on you. Secondly, always make sure one you slide the cutter on, you do so edge up. Otherwise you squish a tomato and feel like an idiot.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 pm

Apple slicers/corers are also worth their weight in produce. You can peel, spiral cut, and core a single apple. Peels get turned into jelly, the flesh gets frozen/turned into preserves, and the cores make good tree starters.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:23 am

Eh, I wouldn't plant an apple tree from seeds.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Apple slicers/corers are also worth their weight in produce. You can peel, spiral cut, and core a single apple. Peels get turned into jelly, the flesh gets frozen/turned into preserves, and the cores make good tree starters.
We have two spiral corer/peeler/slicer gizmos. I love them. We have a couple apple trees and dry tons of them every year, but we never get to jarring them - they get eaten as quickly as we can process them. The slicers are simple enough for the kids to use, too. (Well not little bitty kids, but mine are old enough.)

∩(=^_^=)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:21 pm

I love gazpacho and vichyssoise in the summer. With a food processor they are 20 minutes or prep time for a large pot. Without a food processor, well forget it.

Food processors (& cold soup in the summer) for the win!

Dinner is as simple as a grilling a tuna steak (very rare please) and getting out a bowl for the cold soup that is already in the fridge.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”