Organic Gardening

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Organic Gardening

Post by LyraJean » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am

I figure the most people who would be interested in something like this would be in this forum so I'm posting it here.

My mom is writing a book about Organic Gardening for Beginners and I told her I would help her out. She is trying to figure out what subjects she needs to cover.

So if you wanted to know anything about Organic gardening especially if you are new to it if you could please a post about what you want to know and I will pass it along. She is planning on self-publishing this as well and I'm going to help in that aspect to.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Re: Organic Gardening

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:25 pm

:bump:

Or maybe you already do organic gardening and you learned something the hard way that you wish you knew when you started?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Honestly most of the beginning info on organic gardening is available on the net for free. Heck, a ton of the more advanced information is available for free, so I am not even sure what to tell you. I think it is great that your Mom wants to write a book, but if she is going to charge for it, there needs to be in-depth, hands-on experience for most gardeners to even consider paying for it. Square foot gardening and permaculture come to mind as ideas that I paid money for more information, but both of those concepts had over a decade in use with verifiable results to confirm the validity of their worth when I purchased Bartholomew's and Mollison's books.

Also there are a ton of gardening forum's out there where professionals will answer your questions for free if you are polite and not trolling for free information to sell an e-book (try Dave's Garden, GardenWeb or IDig). I hope that is not what you are doing with this post.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:56 pm

You know she isn't out to rip people off.

Sorry I asked. At other places I've actually gotten a lot of good responses from people who don't know or they don't where to look.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:11 pm

You don't need to get pissy. No one is saying she is trying to rip anyone off. However, if she is going to write a book as an SME she should know where to start and what to cover in the book.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 pm

I don't mean to sound pissy. This isn't the only time I got this reaction and it's just getting under my skin. I have no doubt she knows what she is talking about she asked me to help her. I know nothing about organic gardening so the most I can do is ask on the various different sites I belong too and relay the answers.

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:41 pm

LyraJean wrote:I figure the most people who would be interested in something like this would be in this forum so I'm posting it here.

My mom is writing a book about Organic Gardening for Beginners and I told her I would help her out. She is trying to figure out what subjects she needs to cover.

So if you wanted to know anything about Organic gardening especially if you are new to it if you could please a post about what you want to know and I will pass it along. She is planning on self-publishing this as well and I'm going to help in that aspect to.

I've been an organic gardener for 4 years.

Topics for beginners could include....

1. A frank and honest conversation about what organic gardening is and isn't. Realistic expectations. Benefits and limitations.
People need to understand that there are some things that are different in organic gardening. There are reasons we embraced chemical solutions so quickly when they became available. When you get down to it, organic gardening can be a hard sell but I believe honesty is the best policy. I also believe that organic gardening is a good thing.
They have to accept that their tolerance threshold for pests and disease will often be higher. Our ancestors weren't so quick to reject an apple because of one little worm or ugly patch of skin. Ugly fruits and veggies can still taste great.
They have to accept that many (not all) organic solutions are slower acting. Many organic fertilizers come to mind. They require microbial action to become available to the plant. Plan accordingly.
They have to accept that many (not all) organic solutions are best used as a preventative not curative. This means spraying BEFORE you have a problem
2. Explanation of the "organic toolkit" available to them. What can they use? How does it work? Why is it organic? (that's a tricky one)
3. Basic explanation of some MAJOR pests. What they/their damage looks like. Which organic solutions work best on them and WHY (so they can extrapolate that information to dealing with other pests with the same body type ie other caterpillars or other beetles)
4. Directions for further reading, continuing their education. Reliable, trustworthy resources. Help people get GOOD information.

Conventional chemical solutions are easy to use. Just pick up a bottle and spray. Organic gardening is much more than simply choosing a different bottle. However for a beginner this is where they should start. Gotta dip your toe in the water first. =) As a book for beginners this might be as far as you go.

The most successful organic gardens require a greater understanding of pests life cycles, their preferred environment, their predators and all the interactions in that environment. It really is working with nature, not against it. This requires a working understanding of nature. I see this as the second tier. Most folks aren't ready for this stuff yet. Too technical, too hard. Too many moving parts. We'll get there eventually though. :D

Good luck on your book!
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

LyraJean
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:42 pm

I wish I knew enough about organic gardening. I'm just trying to help out my mom.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”