National Hanging Out Day

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

National Hanging Out Day

Post by Anianna » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 pm

While not any sort of official holiday, April 19th is National Hanging Out Day: a day to hang your laundry on a clothesline to dry if you don't already. According to Project Laundry Lists, many households can save over $25 per month on power bills as well as avoid potential fire damage costs ("The yearly national fire loss for clothes dryer fires in structures is estimated at $194 million") by skipping the dryer and hanging laundry to dry.

Several years ago, I had to stop using perfumey laundry detergents and softeners due to allergies. I switched to soap nuts for my detergent and frequently hang laundry to dry. I love the smell of line-dried clothes! According to several sources, sunshine is also disinfecting for clothes.

So, get yourself ready for National Hanging Out Day. If you don't have a laundry line here is a post about building one that is not at all self-aggrandizing just because I started it. :wink: If you can't have a laundry line outside (because of HOA or you live in an apartment or what have you), there are indoor options, not the least of which include hanging a dowel-rod ladder in your laundry room or hang a couple of folding chairs on the wall (open them up to hang clothes from the leg supports and have some shelf space on the seats). There's all sorts of store-bought options, as well.

Indoors or out, air drying is more gentle on your clothes than machine drying (lint is the result of the fibers rubbing apart) and helps you get some exercise, not to mention you can dry your clothes even when the electricity is off. If you're not already hanging out, give it a try!
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Re: National Hanging Out Day

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:29 am

Never had a dryer or a dishwasher, doubt I ever will. Sun dried is way better.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”