Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Halfapint's Getting Some Land

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:22 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:16 pm
Cool. So you just leave the combs with honey and brood alone, and decap the honey-only ones?
Yes, here in the PNW we have long wintered, not cold, just looooong. So the bottom two boxes will always bee for brood and honey. They will build it like the pictures above with the honey around the outsides, brood in the middle with pollen (bee bread) scattered throughout. Once those two are built up, it’s time to put a queen excluder on and start pumping out the honey.

I ran over to moms to drop something off and snapped this pic.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:48 am

Went to check the hives yesterday after work. We've been having issues with hive 1 and 2. I checked hive one (left front hive) the last time we did an inspection we did not see any queen or queen sign, yesterday I looked in and we had eggs (0-3 days old) and larva (4-10 days old). So we must have had a virgin queen born and kill off the competition, then take off on her mating flight.

Number 2 (middle front) was our over wintered hive (only one of 5 hives to make it), it was STRONG coming out of winter, had a queen she was laying and was all good, then, nothing. I was keeping it alive by moving frames from our other hives into this one to try and get them to make a queen. Well it didn't seem to work. We went and bought a queen and put her in, a week later, no queen. Checked last week and magically, we have a queen and eggs, check this week, we've got capped brood (11-20 days old) with lots of eggs and larva!

We don't plan on getting much honey this year. We are going to start splitting them to make new hives. The gf and I both want to get to the 20-30 hive range with 7-10 honey producing hives with 1-2 queen producing with the rest as support. Eventually we'd like to start producing and selling queens, the sell for $35-50 each around here and a strong hive can produce a few dozen viable a year. The only problem is that it is a full time job due to the life cycle of the bees you have to get the queen while she's capped, but before she eats her way out.

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 pm

Just another update. The gf has been out on medical. She got hurt on the job and has been out for a month or so now, with st least another month out. I only got to spend a few hours up at the property this weeks. I measured the trailer that I’m going to turn into a dump trailer to see how long I wanted it and how I was going to make it pivot. I think I’m just going to use a couple of spacers and use a bolt as the pivot point. Weld the spacers to the gram and to dump bed. Not going to be fancy just something to get the job done.

I did more work on puttputt. I got some offer bolts for to hold the frame to the axels. Took the lever that adamusted the height of the mower deck off, and and going to make that may chainsaw holder.

Also did some beekeeping. In fact I caught a swarm! First one in 2 years! I believe it swarmed from hive number 4 and landed in a pear tree. The gf and I started a beekeeping YouTube channel. We are going to start uploading videos and stuff there. This one is raw and unedited as we are just getting started and I wanted to link it here. Tried everything to embed it but won’t eoek. So just hyperlink.

http://youtu.be/HH2tnK6DEHE

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 am

Halfapint wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 pm
Just another update. The gf has been out on medical. She got hurt on the job and has been out for a month or so now, with st least another month out. I only got to spend a few hours up at the property this weeks. I measured the trailer that I’m going to turn into a dump trailer to see how long I wanted it and how I was going to make it pivot. I think I’m just going to use a couple of spacers and use a bolt as the pivot point. Weld the spacers to the gram and to dump bed. Not going to be fancy just something to get the job done.

I did more work on puttputt. I got some offer bolts for to hold the frame to the axels. Took the lever that adamusted the height of the mower deck off, and and going to make that may chainsaw holder.

Also did some beekeeping. In fact I caught a swarm! First one in 2 years! I believe it swarmed from hive number 4 and landed in a pear tree. The gf and I started a beekeeping YouTube channel. We are going to start uploading videos and stuff there. This one is raw and unedited as we are just getting started and I wanted to link it here. Tried everything to embed it but won’t eoek. So just hyperlink.

http://youtu.be/HH2tnK6DEHE
And subbed. Not watched yet, though, because I really should be asleep already. :p

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 am
And subbed. Not watched yet, though, because I really should be asleep already. :p
No guarantee when we will upload videos. We are looking at software to edit. This video takes place after I set up and already shook the bees into the hive.

JT42

Post by JT42 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:57 am

Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:54 pm
Did you do a right/left swap with the rear wheels when you reinstalled them? It looks like the tread is going the wrong way.
Earlier photo:
Halfapint wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm

JT42 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:57 am
Did you do a right/left swap with the rear wheels when you reinstalled them? It looks like the tread is going the wrong way.
Damn! Good eyes! Yes, I did swap them. I wanted to see if it actually made a difference. So far I seem to have a lot more traction with them backwards. I'm looking for a large cheap tool box to put on the hitch and fill it with concrete to add more weight for traction. I'll swap them again once I do that to see if it makes a difference.

I also want a new seat but damn they are expensive!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Bought a wind turbine today. It’s a home made PMA, it’s ugly but don’t care, the blades were actually purchased from Missouri wind and solar. Came with two sets, and they would have given the others but they were damaged when it fell. Nothing fancy, the guy estimated 800w which is just fine for me to run a feasibility test. I paid $200 and they are throwing in a 2” steel pipe with 1/2” thick wall. Just gotta go back and pick it up. They also had 6 carboys and a a bunch of bottles they’ll sell me for $100 when I come back.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Another couple weeks of working on bees instead of property. But hey only so much time in the day/week. I we changed shifts at work so now I'm back on 10's which is great but after doing 8's I really miss how fast they go. Helped the GF's sister build a deck at her fiancés grandparents house. They are down near Roy WA and have 20 acres with another family member on an adjoining plot with another 20. This is where they are getting married so it's been crunch time for that!

We spent most of our down time getting old hive boxes refurbished. we had a huge burn pile and decided that taking a day to carefully remove the nails, scrape, sand, glue, and repaint was worth the time spent. we ended up saving all but 2 of the burn pile, and even more frames. I think we salvaged 40+ frames and plastic foundation. all told it was over $300 worth of equipment we saved. I'm kind of sad I didn't do this to others over the last couple years. I've probably thrown out $1000 worth of boxes, frames, tops, and bottoms. Some may not have been salvageable or even a majority but could have tried.

We also went through and found our GoPros and were working on getting some editing software so we can get the YouTube channel started for the GF (ok ok me too!). So if anyone has a good free/cheap (no monthly subscriber fee). So here are some pics.

Saw this hive starting to build up when the rest were normal. This can be a precursor to them swarming. I went in and found 7 swarm cells (sorry no pics was solo so couldn't work the hives, and my phone).

This was us going in to find the old queen and relocate her to the nuc (the mini hive between the bigger hives). Unfortunately when we were looking for her we found a supercedure cell that had been caped and the queen had emerged. We left it for the queens to fight it out.

Setting up the gopro for the previous shot

Working on the old hives

The GF using wood glue to strengthen corners and glue down parts that had started to delaminate from sitting in the weather.

Our GoPro station. complete with charging battery

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Re:rebuilding hives:

While I don't have any experience in hives, it seems to me that there are only two stages of fixing things: throwing out good stuff that could be fixed, or becoming a hoarder. :D

I've had to learn that just because I might be able to use or fix something, I don't actually have to keep it. That lesson freed up a good 20 sq ft in my garage. :)

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm
Re:rebuilding hives:

While I don't have any experience in hives, it seems to me that there are only two stages of fixing things: throwing out good stuff that could be fixed, or becoming a hoarder. :D

I've had to learn that just because I might be able to use or fix something, I don't actually have to keep it. That lesson freed up a good 20 sq ft in my garage. :)
True words! I go between both those. The boxes were the only things I’m kicking myself over because they are $20 each. But I’ll just tell myself they are rotting, yeah, that’s it!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:53 pm

haven't posted much recently, been busy with life. Honestly haven't done a hell of a lot on the property. But we've been doing a lot more on the beekeeping side and well, I kinda proposed to the GF on FB live and she had no idea. We made a quick and dirty edit for YouTube. You can see it below. Hope you all enjoy and thanks for following along!

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:53 pm
haven't posted much recently, been busy with life. Honestly haven't done a hell of a lot on the property. But we've been doing a lot more on the beekeeping side and well, I kinda proposed to the GF on FB live and she had no idea. We made a quick and dirty edit for YouTube. You can see it below. Hope you all enjoy and thanks for following along!

Saw that, came up in my subs.

Congrats and well-wishes to you and the soon-to-be-officially-better-half.

Also, I very literally LOLed when she realized what was going on and her voice started sliding up the scale.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:39 pm
Saw that, came up in my subs.

Congrats and well-wishes to you and the soon-to-be-officially-better-half.

Also, I very literally LOLed when she realized what was going on and her voice started sliding up the scale.
Thank you, definitely the much better half. You can hear me laughing as well, her face is something I’ll remember forever. She just stood there with this confided look she had no idea.

Also I apologize it’s been hectic wevreally wsnt to get theYT channel up and going but we both have old computers and nether like editing videos very well. After our trip in sept we are buying a new one for editing and work.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm
Also I apologize it’s been hectic wevreally wsnt to get theYT channel up and going but we both have old computers and nether like editing videos very well. After our trip in sept we are buying a new one for editing and work.
Nothing to apologize for. I'd rather see videos whenever something interesting happens than the "I need something because it's Thursday and that's my video day" approach.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Halfapint wrote:

Congratulations!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Halfapint wrote:

Congratulations!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Commo141

Post by Commo141 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

For video editing try DaVinci Resolve from Black Magic Designs, https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/ look at the bottom of the web site. It is professional software and the free version is very close to the pay version.
Ward
Proud moar zombie since May 2009

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 pm

Thank you everyone for the well wishes.
Commo141 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm
For video editing try DaVinci Resolve from Black Magic Designs, https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/ look at the bottom of the web site. It is professional software and the free version is very close to the pay version.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll chdck it out. Free is good for now, wedding and all.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”