How does your Garden Grow? 2013 Edition

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

slannesh

How does your Garden Grow? 2013 Edition

Post by slannesh » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Someone in the 2012 thread mentioned we need a 2013 edition, so... Here it is :)

I'm up in Prince George, BC in Zone 4a so it'll be quite a while till anything goes outside. (Mid May at the earliest) but I've started buying seeds and planning my garden expansion for this year.

This is what I ended up with last year:

Start of the season, June 19th:

July 17:

For this year I'll build another raised bed just like the one above probably for potatoes, I've got some heirloom German Butterball ones on order.

Also planning at least one 8' x 2' raised bed for Zucchini as they took over the spots around them last year but didn't seem to bother each other so I'm going to build a bed just for them. I'll do a second 8X2 bed with a trellis in the middle for the climbing stuff.

If I manage to pull all of that off I'm also hoping to get started on my actual Greenhouse this year. Going to build one instead of buying one since I think I can pull off an 8x10 greenhouse for about $500 in material instead of $2000 to buy one prebuilt. At this point it's a 'nice to have' since i'll be building 3 other beds already.

As for what's going in them? Still working on that but I did buy some stuff already, all seeds and I'll be starting most of those in the next couple of weeks, I've got a heated spot with a grow light set up that i'll take some pics of once I get it going.

I'm trying to move mostly to heirloom stuff and I do have several varieties already. Some stuff i'll probably still buy as they don't seed till the second year (Carrots are the main thing).

What is everyone else planning this year?
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

GentryMillMan

Re: How does your Garden Grow? 2013 Edition

Post by GentryMillMan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:38 pm

I have a lot planned for this year including a green house, some raised beds, a ideally an aquaculture setup in the greenhouse. I have great hope for whatever I ultimately decide to plant in the area that housed my pig last year. (Rest in Pieces "Stinkers" tasty tasty pieces...)

Still in the process of putting together my seed schedule, I feel I am already falling behind the game. Too many old-timers around here are saying things like "Onions should already be in the ground." I don't know if that is actually true or if they are just messing with me. Lots to do.

On the green house I am building I will actually be building off the side of my current shed. I am trying to compare costs between treated lumber or possibly using PVC for the construction. Anyone have any experience with building with PVC? I have been using 1" for my current figures. It will probably be in the neighborhood of 6' X 10' thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

We enlarged our garden last year and hopefully we'll be enlarging it a little more this year. Our cucumbers and green beans did great and so did the banana peppers and okra. Also had some zucchini, yellow squash, Japanese eggplant, radishes, turnip greens, kale and lettuces that did well. Tried cabbages but they didn't go so great. Tomatoes were slow taking off but came in fine. We've got Mulberry trees surrounding our back yard but I've never thought they had much flavor. The birds pretty much take care of those anyway.

I help direct and work at our church food pantry and expect we'll be putting in a garden to supplement that this year. We'll be looking for high yield stuff so I'm planning on green beans, squash, zucchini, banana peppers, corn and tomatoes. The area where the garden will be is right next to a wooded area so deer and other nibbley critters are going to be a problem. I'd like to put in some potatoes also but we'll see.

Looking forward to a great gardening season this year!

Peach

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:55 am

Planned this year:
  • Tomatoes
  • Green Beans
  • Peas
  • Potatoes
  • Corn?
This will be my first garden in years so I'm staying small this year.

Also planned, berry bushes.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 am

On my list of things to grow:

Green beans
Peas
Poblanos
Habeneros
Jalapenos
Green Peppers
San Marzano Tomatoes
Pickling Cucumbers
Lunga di Napoli (Italian winter squash)
Butternut Squash
Sunflowers

Now the real question is, how many will I grow :)

I'm going to be doing a container garden with the sub-irrigated planters I discussed in this thread: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9&t=104741" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Toms, cucs, zucs, yard long beans, potatoes, and lettuce (various including some domesticated purslane) went in Sunday. I still have two 4x4 raised beds to fill and plant peppers, more lettuce and more spuds (since the dog ate half my other planting right out of the ground. :(
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I put some artichokes, broccoli, sage and thyme in the ground almost two weeks ago. We're looking to add some tomatoes, basil and jalapenos (or serranos) as soon as we can find some seedlings. We haven't had luck with peppers or tomatoes from seed in the past.

Hopefully I can get the rest of the beds weeded (let them lay fallow last year) and everything planted this week so I can have some Garden Pr0n pics.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:32 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: We haven't had luck with peppers or tomatoes from seed in the past.
If you direct seeded tomatoes into a garden/raised bed, when they get to be about 10-14 inches tall, dig them up, add some blood meal, compost/worm castings and egg shells to the new hole, and plant them so only the top leaves are sticking out of the ground. The part you bury will grow new roots and the plant will be 2 feet tall in no time with a much thicker main stem. Mulch with grass clippings for added nitrogen and remove all shoots but the main stem once the plant is 3 feet high to prevent soil born pathogens from getting on the leaves.

I can't help with the peppers other than to say maybe you are watering too much? I have never had problems with peppers other than I am the only one who eats them, so maybe I don't grow them well, but it is enough for me. :)
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Huzaah! On page one. We recently had two days of almost constant rain, forecast said for about an inch, we got easily more than that and I was worried my plants would drown. However in light of it pouring from Monday to Tuesday the dirt looks dry as all get out. Mostly and mix of black kow and top soil. The tomatos and potatos have really responded to alternating crap load of rain and sunshine everything else just seems to be moving in slow motion.. Also someone in the other thread had the idea of putting up netting but I've been toying with the idea of using chicken wire or some such.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Got seeds planted yesterday, mostly stuff for containers that I can bring inside while it's still too cold out and stuff that needs the headstart considering our short growing season. (I'm in Zone 4a)
Started the following in Peat pellets in my small greenhouse box on a low heating pad under a double shoplight:

Strawberry, Alpine (12)
Strawberry, Sarian (12)
Rosemary (3)
Oregano (3)
Tomato, Bloody Butcher (6)
Tomato, Mortgage Lifter (6)
Tomato, Super Italian Paste (6)
Tomato, Cherokee Purple (6)
Bell Pepper, Giant Chinese Red (6)
Lettuce, Romaine (6)
Lettuce, Green Leaf (6)
Basil (bunch) Planted in a small separate container. The smaller greenhouse on the left is flowers for my wife.

Weather has been cool and lots of snow this winter, but we’ve been hovering around freezing for weeks now, most of February was just around freezing, unseasonably warm from what I’ve been told.

Last edited by slannesh on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Anonymous

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 pm

I just grabbed a package of lettuce seeds. I have no clue what else is going to be planted this season, but that's my contribution. (I'm going to start indoors with a staggered approach, and maybe attempt a few hydroponics-only seeds as well.)

Keeys
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil #3

Post by Keeys » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 am

Started my seeds today, 3 kinds of tomatos and a carnival mix of peppers

Heirlooms tomatos
Bloody Butchers
Rutgers
Mortgage Lifter

The peppers mix has Orange Sun, Califonia Wonders, Golden Califonia Wonders, Purple Beauty, & Diamond

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

I got my peat pods this past weekend and ordered some of the sub-irrigated planters since I've been having problems finding the insulation to construct my own. I guess I'll be forced to order it online. I already have the rest of the supplies for my DIY planters. DAMN you insulation!!

I narrowed down my list of things to grow to:
Poblanos
Habeneros (variety mix)
Jalapenos
Green Peppers

Green beans
Peas (2 varieties)
Pickling Cucumbers
Pak Choi

San Marzano Tomatoes
Lunga di Napoli (Italian winter squash)

Sunflowers (I'll probably just throw some of these in my old garden and see how they do)

I plan on pickling or drying most of it except the Green Peppers and Lunga di Napoli.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

brunette.barbi
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by brunette.barbi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience with playing berry bushes?

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 pm

brunette.barbi wrote:Does anyone have any experience with playing berry bushes?
What kind? They all are a bit different in terms of soil prep before planting and can be different from region to region. Best thing to do is contact your county extension and ask them what works best and how best to prep your soil.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm

I've got a total of 4 blueberry bushes and all I did was put them in pots and just let them do their thing. I may even actually have blueberries this summer.

ETA: I don't think I'm having a good tomato year. My seedlings didn't take and the tomato plants that I have their leaves seem to be changing colors from green to a brownish sort. More mottled than anything else right now.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Getting on board.

So I have a huge garden space, and a pretty bad back and want to plant it all... I know my physical and time constraints won't allow that until I get the space well in control, and since this year will only be my second year on this land, and it had not been gardened in many years, it will take many hands.

I have decided to open up my garden space to my 'dirt-poor', but garden ready friends this year and sort of community Co-op garden the space. I will gain more help to convert fallow land, a reduction in input costs(Manure, mulch, seeds, plants, supplies, etc.), a decrease in the physical labor I have to do to to maintain a large garden, more produce to eat and preserve, and camaraderie in the garden.

My selected members will receive a good place to grow, experience, produce, and a full time waterboy(me).

Hopefully this will work well and not cause Drama in my life I don't need.

Wish me luck?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 am

Dawgboy wrote:Getting on board.

So I have a huge garden space, and a pretty bad back and want to plant it all... I know my physical and time constraints won't allow that until I get the space well in control, and since this year will only be my second year on this land, and it had not been gardened in many years, it will take many hands.

I have decided to open up my garden space to my 'dirt-poor', but garden ready friends this year and sort of community Co-op garden the space. I will gain more help to convert fallow land, a reduction in input costs(Manure, mulch, seeds, plants, supplies, etc.), a decrease in the physical labor I have to do to to maintain a large garden, more produce to eat and preserve, and camaraderie in the garden.

My selected members will receive a good place to grow, experience, produce, and a full time waterboy(me).

Hopefully this will work well and not cause Drama in my life I don't need.

Wish me luck?
Good luck!

I would suggest a contract or at least a written and signed agreement on who's responsible for what just so you can refer back to it if stuff goes sideways. I always hate the thought of having to do that sort of thing with friends but it often seems to go funny when someone's not pulling their weight. Especially if someone has a weed or disease problem that they don't deal with.

As to the bad back... Think about raised beds, less bending over and not as far to go.
~Anonymous

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Getting a start on the herb garden with some off the clearance rack. Oregano, basil, sage, and rosemary.

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am

Dawgboy wrote:Getting a start on the herb garden with some off the clearance rack. Oregano, basil, sage, and rosemary.

What? No thyme and dill? 2 of my favorites :clap:

Well my planters shipped yesterday. I held off on starting the seeds until they shipped. So this weekend I'll have to get the seeds started and pick up soil for the planters.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 am

I have officially given up on the tomatos I tried to start inside. My mustard plant has taken off like a house on fire. If only I liked mustard greens, I was actually hoping to make mustard out of the seeds but it seems I bought the wrong type? My potatoes seem to be doing really well. Tried planting them in buckets on a lark, they're doing so well I wish I had started them in bigger buckets. I'll try to edit and addd pictures. Later in the day.

katieann

Post by katieann » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 am

Decided to just go for it this year. Bought a house a year ago and was so excited to have a yard to grow things in and then dicked around all spring, yielding nothing. Bought a small cherry tomato plant and put it in a pot outside, then upon research learned that I need a bigger pot. Back to Lowe's! Now it's an excuse to figure out what to plant in the smaller pot. Perhaps something I'll actually start from seed.

I also stuck a couple cut green onion ends into a glass of water on my kitchen window sill and to my delight they are quite tall now. I know stuff like that can't grow on just water indefinitely, but could I get away with water with some sort of plant food mixed in, or should I just put them in some soil?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Got 56 pots ready to seed for herbs, some brassicas, tomatoes, peppers, Cucs, eggplant, etc. tomorrow is plant day.

My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm

I think I'm going to start another kitchen compost bucket. The one I had was working like a champ, no smell, no mess, convenient to get to. Then Daisy the Beagle went berserk, squeezed out of her crate while no one was at home, ran around for who knows long and knocked a variety of things over including my kitchen compost.

When I got home that day, the door was blocked by my nearly empty compost bucket, which was over on its side with the lid off and an enormous, brown, intensely stinky puddle of compost tea all around it. I thought for just a second that an elephant with the runs had doused my floor. It sank into the sub-flooring where it tortured us for a long time.

Anyway, yeah, I think I'm going to start another. I sure would have preferred spreading the stuff on our garden instead of having it spread all over my kitchen floor.

Peach

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”