Just ****ing Move

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Just ****ing Move

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:50 am

So we've all heard it expressed. Just Move. Upsticks and GTFO of where ever you are for somewhere 'better'.

Well, it's been on my mind a long time. But I also want to catalogue what I do, how I do it and the challenges I face on the way. Any advice or suggestions will also be much appreciated.

So, here's how it is now.

Current Status: Unemployed Graduate in the UK
Goal: Permanent Residence in an English speaking country with Bowhunting, Cheaper Land, Wilderness and a growing job market for a Chemistry Graduate.

Options: For a long time, I've had a list of three places I might want to live. In no particular order, NZ, Canada and the USA. They each have their own upsides and down sides, which I won't go into here. However, I have decided that Canada, a popular destination with prospective Ex-pats is the one I want to try first.

To that end, I have joined http://www.bunac.org, and I'm eagerly awaiting on the opening of Visa applications for a 12 month working holiday in Canada. With any luck I will be able to make some contacts which might lead to getting permanent residence, see if I want to live in Canada without committing completely.

I should also note that I'm very lucky to be in the position to do this. I'm young, single, I have no dependents or elderly relatives who need my care, I have saved enough to be able to afford this, and I'm also lucky enough to have a BSc (Hons) from a good University, which will help in the later stages. Here's my first steps to following the Advice "Just Move". There's no 'Just' about it though.

Things to Do:
Get ACRO Police Certificate,
Learn to Drive (Theory Test Booked)
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Re: Just ****ing Move

Post by Frosty709 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Goal: Permanent Residence in am English speaking country with Bowhunting, Cheaper Land, Wilderness and a growing job market for a Chemistry Graduate.

Seems like somewhere in western Canada would be fitting, especially for being a chem graduate (big oil). Few other places here back east that might work, if you're wanting to be closer to the ocean. Here in Newfoundland you'd have plenty of ex-pats, could get a job with an oil company or something else in a chemistry field, AND bow hunt.

Lots of options here when it comes to choosing Canada. Best of luck to you mate! :D
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Yeah, Baker's on to something... Alberta, where I live, is big-time oil country. ;)
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:30 pm

Why an English speaking country?
Man is a beast of prey

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:38 pm

the_alias wrote:Why an English speaking country?
I find foreign languages extremely difficult to learn (my school always blamed my dyslexia, but at least that let me drop french), and I don't want to give myself another hurdle in having to learn a new language at the same time as adapt to a new country. I am actually attempting to improve my french now, but I like my native tongue, and I want to keep it.
My Guide to Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't disagree - living in china is a pita enough without the language barrier.

Looking forward to updates buddy.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

The certificate part stumped me, I had to look it up --
The Bureau issues Police Certificates to people who want to emigrate to a number of countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States of America.
The certificate details whether or not they have a criminal record in the United Kingdom and is required as part of the visa process by the respective High Commission or Embassy.
Please note that the certificate may also include foreign criminal history information where it has been disclosed to the UK.

Learning to drive is a good point, esp if you land work in Western Canada. Work in the US (big oil) may be possible in the Dakotas/Montana - obtaining a work visa may be problematic.

Another possibility would be to obtain a student visa so you could work toward a Master's, then seek a internship your first year to test the employment waters. The Masters could focus on the hydrocarbon industry or better yet, as an Industrial Hygienist.

Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:46 pm

TacAir wrote: Another possibility would be to obtain a student visa so you could work toward a Master's, then seek a internship your first year to test the employment waters. The Masters could focus on the hydrocarbon industry or better yet, as an Industrial Hygienist.
I have enough with my .gov sponsored loans and living costs, Overseas study is well beyond my means. I'm not cut out to be an academic, maybe I will return to school in a few years, but I want to work far more than study. It's a good strategy that's well worth suggesting, though, just not one for me.
My Guide to Fletching

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:51 pm

I'm excited for you. To be young again with a world of possibilities...

If Canada doesn't work out for you, take a look at Texas. Tons of oil companies and a great mindset for people who are independent. Also a great place to be if you are a gun nut like me.
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

Dan_Jorgenson

Post by Dan_Jorgenson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Australia is always an option.

We are culturally split between USA and UK (English speaking might be pushing it a bit far :lol: ) But the state of Queensland might be what your after. We have many wild animals that are permanently on the open hunting season including rabbits, wild boar, camels, fox, wild horse ect
http://www.ssaa.org.au/hunting/state-an ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for list on state hunting regulations

There are strict regulations on ownership of weapons (particurlarly firearms) but fairly leanient on bows, check http://www.bowhunters.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for info.

To employment and Australia is in need of engineers, doctors and chemists, so much so that you might be eligable for a state sponsership. http://www.migrationexpert.com.au/visa/ ... tralia.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just looking at a map you can see the size of Queensland (3 x the size of Texas) so there is plenty of land to hunt on or buy. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upsides: Beer is the national drink and you can brew as much as you want without paying tax provided you don't sell it or use a still.
The beaches are amazing with a number of surfing competitions held (Bells Beach in Victoria for example) in Queensland there is the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast so no shortage of beaches.
Australia is one of the most effective locations on Earth to use solar power
Australia is self sufficient in terms of food so everything is fresh and organic food is very accessible
Crime rate is very low

Downsides, rent and buying property can be expensive in capital cities and mining towns.
Grid electricity is expensive at 15- 20 cents per kW.
You probably won't get much return converting GBP to AUD

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:55 pm

First of all Ad'lan, I wish you the best in whatever path you choose to follow.

Second, ever though about pharmaceutical companies? I know a friend who works for one near Philadelphia and I know bow hunting is allowed in PA.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Dan_Jorgenson wrote:Australia is always an option.

We are culturally split between USA and UK (English speaking might be pushing it a bit far :lol: ) But the state of Queensland might be what your after. We have many wild animals that are permanently on the open hunting season including rabbits, wild boar, camels, fox, wild horse ect
http://www.ssaa.org.au/hunting/state-an ... tions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for list on state hunting regulations

There are strict regulations on ownership of weapons (particurlarly firearms) but fairly leanient on bows, check http://www.bowhunters.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for info.

To employment and Australia is in need of engineers, doctors and chemists, so much so that you might be eligable for a state sponsership. http://www.migrationexpert.com.au/visa/ ... tralia.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just looking at a map you can see the size of Queensland (3 x the size of Texas) so there is plenty of land to hunt on or buy. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upsides: Beer is the national drink and you can brew as much as you want without paying tax provided you don't sell it or use a still.
The beaches are amazing with a number of surfing competitions held (Bells Beach in Victoria for example) in Queensland there is the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast so no shortage of beaches.
Australia is self sufficient in terms of food so everything is fresh and organic food is very accessible
Crime rate is very low

Downsides, rent and buying property can be expensive in capital cities and mining towns.
That's a helluva presentation.

I want pics of Ad'Lan hunting camels with a bow and arrow. :rofl:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Dan_Jorgenson

Post by Dan_Jorgenson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Dan_Jorgenson wrote:Australia is always an option.

Crime rate is very low

That's a helluva presentation.

I want pics of Ad'Lan hunting camels with a bow and arrow. :rofl:
Well i've been looking at buying land and getting a firearms licence for hunting. Hunting camels with a bow and arrow? Has to on horseback.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Come on, it has to be ostrich hunting with a bow and arrow on a camel.

Get it right...

Dan_Jorgenson

Post by Dan_Jorgenson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Confucius wrote:Come on, it has to be ostrich hunting with a bow and arrow on a camel.

Get it right...
Not too many ostriches in Australia, Emu or Cassowary will have to do.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Definitely Western Canada, Alberta in particular, would be the place to start if you are a chemistry wiz. The oil industry there is huge, in fact, we have more proven oil reserves that another other country except for Saudi Arabia and most of it is in Alberta. Another choice would be Ontario where there are plenty of opportunities in medical and pharmeceutical research that could make use of your chemistry expertise but I would look to the west first. As far as bow-hunting goes, you are good to go. Every part of Canada has tremendous hunting opportunities from small game to large game such as deer, moose, elk and bear.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Looking forward to having your be somewhat more neighborly Ad'lan!

For bowhunting you'll be hard pressed to find better than BC or Alberta. My wife and I relocated from the Edmonton area in Alberta to Prince George, BC last year to be closer to family as well as the outdoors stuff that we love to do. Hunting in Alberta was a couple hours drive for anything decent. Here? I could have shot a moose off my back porch a few weeks ago if I wasn't worried about it causing an accident on the highway ;)

The big thing is figure out what you want to do and what you're willing to give up. PG doesn't have much shopping or nightlife as it's a small city, but we have the basics and real honest-to-god wilderness is literally at the city limits for the most part. It really is paradise for the outdoorsman.

Alberta is great too, I lived there for the first 36 years of my life, but both Calgary and Edmonton have grown very large and metropolitan in the last 20 years and I longed to be further away from that and not closer. Housing here was a lot cheaper, my house is worth the same as the one I had in Edmonton, but i'm on a half acre and it's 20 years newer, bigger and has an attached garage/shop. All in all way more bang for the buck.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Let me know if, while in Canada, you'd have a chance to pop down to WI for a visit. We'll have fun, shoot AK's and Glocks, and (with proper timing) you could easily enjoy our bow deer season! Really, it'd be fun, bro. Give WI a try, it's Canada with better gun laws! :lol:
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote: Give WI a try, it's Canada with better gun laws! :lol:
Can't really argue with that :)

Our gun laws do suck. But they're still better than Britain!
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm

I still vote Oregon, because of all the reasons you already know.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't know how much you know about American chemistry applicability, but there are places around here that hire chemistry grads for vitamin enrichment of cereals. There's a place in semi-rural Louisiana like that, where land isn't terribly expensive and the State's motto/nickname is "Sportsman's Paradise"

I'm reasonably sure such vitamin-izing cereal places existed in semi-rural Missouri where I used to live, too, come to think of it. Otherwise I know jack and shit about chemistry related jobs.

ProstheticWeasel

Post by ProstheticWeasel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Not exactly the funnest place on earth but western North Dakota in the US has an oil boom going on. If Canada does not work out then that is just a stones throw away. I have a nephew there and he says rent is crazy and pretty much nothing is available. So the cost of living is quite high but if you have in demand skills and are willing to live in a frozen wasteland then maybe it can even out.

Note that I live in Wishek, Cooperstown and Fargo in North Dakota so I am qualified to call it frozen wasteland.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 am

Canada might not be a bad choice. I was a chemist for a pharmaceutical company in Austin, TX and a canadian company bought them and moved our jobs. Go for it!
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 am

St Louis has several large chemical companies here. Sigma and Monsanto being prime.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”