Blueberry Hill - Building a Garden Shed Sized Chicken Coop

Discuss lifestyle changes to better survive disasters. This category is for topics pertaining to being self reliant such as DIY, farming, alternative energy, autonomous solutions to water collection and waste removal, etc.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Blueberry Hill - Busy Season

Post by NT2C » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 am

Watching Tater's video I kept thinking about this one...

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat May 24, 2014 10:56 pm

2nd planting is done (corn, maincrop potatoes, half the melons, and late cabbage) and results from the first planting are coming in. The zucchini, birdhouse gourds, green onion, and cauliflower haven't germinated. We're still awaiting results from early potatoes. My experimentation with the catnip is a failure.

Everything else is at the very least holding its own or thriving.

In another week the clover (cover crop around the melons) goes in.

Tractor update: everything is approved by everybody that has to approve of these things on my end. The bank is getting things together on its end and we should be signing paperwork by the end of next week or soon thereafter. Unfortunately it looks like the Ag Exemption on sales tax will not apply because tax laws are complicated or something (No, I didn't file Schedule F for 2013, but I will be filing 2014. What do you mean I need to be a farmer before I get a tax break on farm equipment? :vmad: )

Chickens finally began exploring outside the coop today. Then I came over to look and they all went, "Gojira! Run!" :|

Currently figuring out how to make the budget for this place work. :gonk:

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun May 25, 2014 10:26 am

If you squat down with a handful of meal worms (you can buy dried meal worms as treats from pet shops and some farm supply shops) they will learn to come to you. They will come running to you once they figure out that you are the source of the delicious treats and they will then forever be underfoot.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun May 25, 2014 10:34 am

And they will blame you for the bad weather.
I miss having hens huddling under the eaves glaring at me through the sliding doors because "it's raining, we're getting wet & cold and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!"
(They seemed to find it much more satisfying to do that than go inside their coop where it was warm & dry.)
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 am

I'm finding chickens to be odd creatures...

Thanks for the tips and warnings.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 26, 2014 7:57 am

Tater Raider wrote:I'm finding chickens to be odd creatures...

Thanks for the tips and warnings.
So you're getting along famously with them then?

"Birds of a feather" and all that...

:clownshoes: :wink:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Chickens will love you and be terrified of you all at the same time. :rofl:

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 26, 2014 5:01 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:And they will blame you for the bad weather.
I miss having hens huddling under the eaves glaring at me through the sliding doors because "it's raining, we're getting wet & cold and IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!"
(They seemed to find it much more satisfying to do that than go inside their coop where it was warm & dry.)
This is hilariously true! The chickens at my parents will sit there at the glass sliding door and peck at it when it's raining. The Road Island Red (I believe that is the breed) has learned who the keepers of the food are. Anytime you walk out it looks like shes on attack mode and will follow you around the yard until you walk into the garage and give her some scratch. It is quite entertaining.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:34 am

It's been a bit but, like I've said, busy season...

Chickens are clucking/crowing/honking(wtf? I didn't get geese!) now. Lady Tater has bribed them with mealworms to the point of them borderline harassing her when she steps in the yard now. :lol:

Tractor has come in along with all the attachments (we didn't think we'd get the snowblower in until winter but it surprised us and is now sitting in the machine shed). I've discovered the mow deck cuts enough off the mow time that we can do a proper job (weed whacking and all) on the property in about 6-8 hours compared to being too disgusted with the whole thing after 12 hours to bother with the weed whacker. I'm comfortable swapping out attachments and driving the tractor and mowing, I'm almost comfortable operating the front end loader, and I don't mess things up too badly with the backhoe.

Unless messing things up is the whole point of a particular job...

A little while back I started to replace the wood on the trailer bed and ended up ripping all of it out then disassembling it entirely. I didn't media blast it but I did wire brush the entire trailer and got it primed. Today will be for painting and I'll be rewiring it, again, this weekend. My goal is to have it completely reassembled 7 days from now and looking a bit better than it did (a trailer should all be one color and no rust showing, right?) with a longer life left on it.

Then we can get some IBC totes in for a rain catchment and irrigation system (in design stages), get back to moving stuff around (rock, downed limbs, compost), and putting in a tank stand for the ag diesel.

As far as the garden goes, it's not being the most productive thing ever but it is doing alright considering I'm weeding and watering it and that's all the more I'm putting into the thing this year. Potatoes are blooming, tomatoes and pepper plants are trying, and I've got some purple pea pods.

Rabbits got this year's beets. I'm not amused.
Last edited by Tater Raider on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

Bad wabbits :evil:
Sounds like you've been busy Taters.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:Bad wabbits :evil:
If I could actually bag a couple of the long eared fuckers at least the garden would be growing rabbits... :twisted:

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Tater Raider wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:Bad wabbits :evil:
If I could actually bag a couple of the long eared fuckers at least the garden would be growing rabbits... :twisted:
:rofl:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Do you have a pellet gun?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Pellet gun or some .22s work well form close range. I take rabbits around here with a pellet gun from about 20-30 yards good eats if you don't mind your meat leaking worms when you cook it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Halfapint wrote:Pellet gun or some .22s work well form close range. I take rabbits around here with a pellet gun from about 20-30 yards good eats if you don't mind your meat leaking worms when you cook it.
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

:shock:

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 am

Halfapint wrote:Pellet gun or some .22s work well form close range. I take rabbits around here with a pellet gun from about 20-30 yards good eats if you don't mind your meat leaking worms when you cook it.

Ummm.....
Hunted a lot of rabbits over the years.
Don't ever remember worms in the pan...
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:16 am

procyon wrote:

Ummm.....
We raised meat rabbits for a while and never had that experience, as well. You really shouldn't leave your meat sitting around,Halfapint! :ohdear:

∩(=^_^=)

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 am

procyon wrote:

Ummm.....
It freezes where you are. Kills off the vermin every year. In my AO, it never freezes and about 1 in 4 rabbits and/or squirrel are infested, coming from personal experience. The good news is that I am in a suburban area and they are plentiful, so I can afford to just discard, rather than have them leak worms...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:55 am

Murphman wrote:
procyon wrote:

Ummm.....
It freezes where you are. Kills off the vermin every year. In my AO, it never freezes and about 1 in 4 rabbits and/or squirrel are infested, coming from personal experience. The good news is that I am in a suburban area and they are plentiful, so I can afford to just discard, rather than have them leak worms...
Oh, that's just gross. I mean, I guess the worms are just another source of protein, but ew.

If it never freezes there, aren't y'all at greater risk of Tularemia? In some areas, the wisdom is that you only take rabbit when it's cold and not at all when it's hot. It was my understanding that even opening a rabbit with a spotted liver is dangerous.

∩(=^_^=)

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

Anianna wrote:
Oh, that's just gross. I mean, I guess the worms are just another source of protein, but ew.

If it never freezes there, aren't y'all at greater risk of Tularemia? In some areas, the wisdom is that you only take rabbit when it's cold and not at all when it's hot. It was my understanding that even opening a rabbit with a spotted liver is dangerous.
We are, but honestly, I feel I have a greater chance of contracting through a mosquito bite than from small-game tissue. I get bit by 100's (1000's?) of mosquitos every year, but only go small game hunting a few times a year. maybe I should look into the vaccine more...
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Damn I didn't mean to high jack this thread sorry Tater!

But yea we very very rarely get below freezing most years. And I actually brine my rabbet over night, the worms come out in that. Slap it on the grill and enjoy. I world say that not EVERY rabbit has worms, but quite a few do.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:45 am

I don't mind. It always seems to me that the thread hijackings are chock full of information.

I've got an airsoft pistol that shoots around 400 fps so it's good for scaring stuff off (THE PAIN!) but that's about it.

Stay tuned for another update, with pictures, by Monday.

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

Monday is too far away. Here are some teaser photos...

Tater Raider

Re: Blueberry Hill - If You're Having Fun is it Still Work?

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Young Son learns the ways of the tractor and helps with building demolition.

I think there was 1 good board in that entire building - the rest went here. It took 3 fires before we got rid of all of it.

The concrete slab left behind is now a staging area for sand, dirt, compost, fertilizer, and so on.

In other news, Ryder358 and I are working on a business venture. (l to r) Ryder and Jwoad are putting in a 4' x 36' raised garden bed where I just excavated. Because the 4th of July is about family time.

Yes, we're strange.

For more information, stay tuned to this thread or go pester Ryder. I'm the "silent" partner. :)

Meanwhile, the trailer had been torn down completely and what was left of the floor removed.

Loose rust was removed with a rotary wire brush in a drill and primer went on. Didn't have to be neat, just sealed up.

Followed up with flat black.

After cutting some AC2 5/4 x 6" x 12' (for those that want to know) to length and putting a notch in one end so it would fit in the slot at the back of the trailer, I discovered that the last board wouldn't fit - too wide. It'll get that last board ripped on Sunday. Wiring will be done Wednesday.

CHICKENS!!!

I think that covers about half of what's happened this past week.

Return to “Self-Sufficient Living”