Central Texas Mock Bug-out Planning

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Glitch20
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead Trilogy

Central Texas Mock Bug-out Planning

Post by Glitch20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:21 pm

this forum is to plan the mock bug out.
so far all i have is the date(sept.24th-26th)
as for the location i am currently looking for a park in between Austin and San Antonio.

so, if you have any ideas, comments, questions, or complaints then post them here.
Last edited by Glitch20 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Central Texas Mock Bug-out

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:30 pm

sounds awesome!
/me awaits further responses
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Glitch20

Post by Glitch20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 pm

KentsOkay wrote:sounds awesome!
/me awaits further responses

What responses are you waitng for? :|

Dubbya

Post by Dubbya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 pm

Comments other than dog shows? Sorry bud, couldnt help but bring it over to the new thread.

Count me in for the bug-out!

3Fingas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Original and Remake), 28 Days Later - Part Uno
Location: Texas: "Land of Big Open Skies and Freedom-loving Patriots"

Post by 3Fingas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 pm

Glitch, I might have to borrow some camping items. I am gonna try to pick-up a surplus large Alice pack before the event.
I would also like to set-up some field classes. Slugg would be great for First Aid classes. Other possible classes could include Land Navigation, Field expedient shelters, Bush craft, fire-starting, communications, the possibilities are limitless. The point is that we can have fun, but make it a learning experience as well. Anybody with experience in these areas? Anybody have some other ideas for classes?
PEDZ - People for the Efficient Disposal of Zombies
.... It's a dirty job, but someone has got to do it.

I may not have been born in Texas, but I got here
just as fast as I could!

Glitch20

Post by Glitch20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm

i am going to try and get a hold of RCwalla and Ghostwolf to see if they could attend, i know that RC is a fire master and he would probably have a few things he could teach.

3Fingas
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Original and Remake), 28 Days Later - Part Uno

Post by 3Fingas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Glitch20 wrote:i am going to try and get a hold of RCwalla and Ghostwolf to see if they could attend, i know that RC is a fire master and he would probably have a few things he could teach.
That's great. I hope they can attend.

I was looking at the Texas State Parks site trying to find a location central to both Austin and San Antonio.
Here's the site. It has descriptions of park features.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/park ... le/austin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At a quick glance, the Guadalupe River/Honey Creek Site seems like a good choice for camping/hiking. Has anybody gone there before?

just as fast as I could!

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Rush is in Houston on the 25th. I have tix. Ya'll suck. That is all.

/Having baby right before that and couldn't go anyway, but I'm still not missing Rush.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Glitch20

Post by Glitch20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:20 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:Rush is in Houston on the 25th. I have tix. Ya'll suck. That is all.

/Having baby right before that and couldn't go anyway, but I'm still not missing Rush.
is it the new rush?
is geddy lee embracing his goatieness for this show :lol:

Congrats on the new kiddo.

Glitch20

Post by Glitch20 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 pm

3Fingas wrote:
Glitch20 wrote:i am going to try and get a hold of RCwalla and Ghostwolf to see if they could attend, i know that RC is a fire master and he would probably have a few things he could teach.

I was looking at the Texas State Parks site trying to find a location central to both Austin and San Antonio.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/park ... le/austin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At a quick glance, the Guadalupe River/Honey Creek Site seems like a good choice for camping/hiking. Has anybody gone there before?
looks like a good park, i might see about making a day trip out there to scout the park.
if anyone else wants to go let me know i will cover the park entrance fees.

3Fingas

Post by 3Fingas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:Rush is in Houston on the 25th. I have tix. Ya'll suck. That is all.

You can come out the next day if you would like. Besides Rush without Neal Pert is like the Beatles without Ringo, Genesis without Phil Collins, Motley Crue without Tommy Lee, and Barry without the Manilow..... :D

just as fast as I could!

3Fingas

Post by 3Fingas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Glitch20 wrote:
3Fingas wrote:

looks like a good park, i might see about making a day trip out there to scout the park.
Yeah, I would like to scout it out too. Supposedly, in addition to their modern amenities campsite, there is a tent-type, "roughing it" campsite and several miles of hill/wilderness hiking trails.

just as fast as I could!

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 am

Glitch20 wrote:

is it the new rush?
is geddy lee embracing his goatieness for this show :lol:

Congrats on the new kiddo.
You got that right!

I miss that show, I need to listen to it on the internet while I'm at work.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:43 am

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p1445136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

waco area...
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

3Fingas

Post by 3Fingas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for the link. That certainly looks fun and challenging, but would require quite a lot physical conditioning before attempting. I would not attempt that event without having completed several months of training and progressively longer backpack hikes. In my case, in my current condition, I would need a bucket of Icy Hot, a yard of Moleskin patches, and a doctor's note telling my wife that I would not have a heart attack or at least a living will.... :lol:

I do think that our little bug-out, in its own humble way, could be helpful in eventually preparing for some event like that. Our goals will be gear familiarization, learning through practical application, some physical exertion, and, of course, to have fun. Our aim is to maximize participation and get people moving. Before you can run, you gotta be able to walk or in this carry a pack, do some moderate hiking, and just get familiarized with the concept of camping/bugging out.

just as fast as I could!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:39 am

3Fingas wrote:....would require quite a lot physical conditioning before attempting. I would not attempt that event without having completed several months of training and progressively longer backpack hikes. In my case, in my current condition, I would need a bucket of Icy Hot, a yard of Moleskin patches, and a doctor's note telling my wife that I would not have a heart attack or at least a living will.... :lol:
Well, you got three months to train! :mrgreen:

I know that's not for everyone. They are going to be doing it annually now, so it could be a goal for next year. 15 miles w/ a ruck and rifle is a hell of a hike, even in October. The skills section of it looks fun. I spotted quickly in that 'unfasten bolts', and I don't have a way to do that in my bag other than a folding saw that can use a hacksaw blade. I doubt my multitool is big enough for the bolts.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Dubbya

Post by Dubbya » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 am

3Fingas wrote:
Glitch20 wrote:
3Fingas wrote:

Yeah, I would like to scout it out too. Supposedly, in addition to their modern amenities campsite, there is a tent-type, "roughing it" campsite and several miles of hill/wilderness hiking trails.
Count me in for the scouting. I've been dying to get out lately.

Edit.

I've been to that park. Pretty nice place w/lots of river. If anyone is interested in fishing I will be doing some. I have plenty of extra gear so if you have a fishing license and need to borrow some let me know.
Last edited by Dubbya on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dubbya

Post by Dubbya » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 am

3Fingas wrote:Glitch, I might have to borrow some camping items. I am gonna try to pick-up a surplus large Alice pack before the event.
I would also like to set-up some field classes. Slugg would be great for First Aid classes. Other possible classes could include Land Navigation, Field expedient shelters, Bush craft, fire-starting, communications, the possibilities are limitless. The point is that we can have fun, but make it a learning experience as well. Anybody with experience in these areas? Anybody have some other ideas for classes?
I dont feel I am qualified to teach, but I have a decent tarp and lots of paracord we can practice shelters on. I have been wanting to copy a ridge line setup I have seen floating around.

3Fingas

Post by 3Fingas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
3Fingas wrote:....would require quite a lot physical conditioning before attempting. I would not attempt that event without having completed several months of training and progressively longer backpack hikes. In my case, in my current condition, I would need a bucket of Icy Hot, a yard of Moleskin patches, and a doctor's note telling my wife that I would not have a heart attack or at least a living will.... :lol:
Well, you got three months to train! :mrgreen:

I know that's not for everyone. They are going to be doing it annually now, so it could be a goal for next year. 15 miles w/ a ruck and rifle is a hell of a hike, even in October. The skills section of it looks fun. I spotted quickly in that 'unfasten bolts', and I don't have a way to do that in my bag other than a folding saw that can use a hacksaw blade. I doubt my multitool is big enough for the bolts.
15 miles was our maintenance length hump/forced march in the Marines. We would usually start preparing by doing a series of squad-level training humps 3-5 miles, then a series of platoon/company level humps 6-10 miles, and lastly the battalion-level marches 12-15 miles. I did a few of the "Macress" length humps (25 miles) while in the Corps, but thankfully only a few as these were pure "Bataan Death March" madness.

I retired 6 years ago, so I haven't done much back-packing recently (I am a systems analyst...so I pack a mean laptop). Right now, I would be happy to do just a squad-level hump. :lol:
Last edited by 3Fingas on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

just as fast as I could!

3Fingas

Post by 3Fingas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:34 am

Dubbya wrote:
3Fingas wrote:Glitch, I might have to borrow some camping items. I am gonna try to pick-up a surplus large Alice pack before the event.
I dont feel I am qualified to teach, but I have a decent tarp and lots of paracord we can practice shelters on. I have been wanting to copy a ridge line setup I have seen floating around.
We're not looking for perfection. Perhaps, if you want to research the topic, you could present a class on what you have learned. We can work with your enthusiasm.

just as fast as I could!

Jester79

Post by Jester79 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 am

This thread is almost as cool as our last one. No dog shows though even though Dubbya tried to make the reference.

Fingas - I have a Medium ALICE pack and frame that I am looking to get rid of as well as a bunch of other gear if you are interested. I have found that you can only be in the acquisitions field for so long before you end up having way too much stuff that you can never use. One of these days I need to do a "For Sale" type thread and get rid of a bunch if it..
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Jester79

Post by Jester79 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:37 am

Glitch - Any chance of me getting to gander at those "unofficial central texas" images?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Dubbya

Post by Dubbya » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 am

3Fingas wrote:We're not looking for perfection. Perhaps, if you want to research the topic, you could present a class on what you have learned. We can work with your enthusiasm.
Judging from how you shoot, I already knew this. :P

Glitch20

Post by Glitch20 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Jester79 wrote:Glitch - Any chance of me getting to gander at those "unofficial central texas" images?
this is the only one Karnedge has made so far.

Return to “Meeting Room”